Rear view mirror wiring.

Yzfr1

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a replacement rear view mirror that has a reverse and dash cam built in.
My STD radio won't allow factory rear view camera unless I pay hundreds of pounds just to get it played about with and that's without the camera hardware. So that's the reasoning behind a replacement.
Can someone educate me on what the wiring coming out of my STD mirror is for?
Is it for auto headlights or auto wipers...or both?
Don't want to go messing with the features I have if I don't have too.

Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a replacement rear view mirror that has a reverse and dash cam built in.
My STD radio won't allow factory rear view camera unless I pay hundreds of pounds just to get it played about with and that's without the camera hardware. So that's the reasoning behind a replacement.
Can someone educate me on what the wiring coming out of my STD mirror is for?
Is it for auto headlights or auto wipers...or both?
Don't want to go messing with the features I have if I don't have too.
Could be either or both depending on whats installed or could be anti dazzle

Just done mine with an AutoVox v5 pro OEM jobby. You lose the main bean assist like Pauly mentions as the sensor is in the original mirror but you don't lose auto wipers. In return you get a reverse camera and front facing dash cam camera that records while driving and while parked if it senses movement. I've mounted my rear camera on the high brake light so I get a cracking rear view while driving and because it's a 170 degree camera it can practically see around corners when I'm reversing. I didn't drill any holes in the bodywork. I drilled the lens instead and fed the wire through there. I had to wait for them to send me an OEM mount for the mirror which tool 4 weeks but well worth the wait because it's cast exactly the same as the OEM mount so I was able to refit the plastic trim around the mirror which makes it look truly OEM with all the wires hidden. It's also cheaper than the OEM retrofit camera to the headunit but provides way more features.
They also sent me 2 mini fuse taps and an extension lead (because I had to route down the barn door, through the rubber ducting to the inside of the van then back up to the roof to run it to the front but then found it was about 3-4 meters too short) FOC. It's a brilliant bit of kit and great service via Amazon and worth every penny when you add up all the additional bits they've sent. Quality seems great so I'm hopeful it'll last a few years too. Massive :thumbsup: from me

Just done mine with an AutoVox v5 pro OEM jobby. You lose the main bean assist like Pauly mentions as the sensor is in the original mirror but you don't lose auto wipers. In return you get a reverse camera and front facing dash cam camera that records while driving and while parked if it senses movement. I've mounted my rear camera on the high brake light so I get a cracking rear view while driving and because it's a 170 degree camera it can practically see around corners when I'm reversing. I didn't drill any holes in the bodywork. I drilled the lens instead and fed the wire through there. I had to wait for them to send me an OEM mount for the mirror which tool 4 weeks but well worth the wait because it's cast exactly the same as the OEM mount so I was able to refit the plastic trim around the mirror which makes it look truly OEM with all the wires hidden. It's also cheaper than the OEM retrofit camera to the headunit but provides way more features.
They also sent me 2 mini fuse taps and an extension lead (because I had to route down the barn door, through the rubber ducting to the inside of the van then back up to the roof to run it to the front but then found it was about 3-4 meters too short) FOC. It's a brilliant bit of kit and great service via Amazon and worth every penny when you add up all the additional bits they've sent. Quality seems great so I'm hopeful it'll last a few years too. Massive :thumbsup: from me
That's the one I'm looking at.
They have confirmed it has the right bracket and throwing in the long lead for nowt too.
I'm a bit unsure about the rear camera though on where to mount it. I don't have a spoiler to hide the amount it will stick out. Might see if I can get a factory style one and mount it in the OEM spot.
Cheers for the detailed reply

Cheers for the detailed reply
No worries.
The mount(s, 4 of them) they provide as standard won't work unless they're sending you a kit especially for the T6.
The camera has a 4 pin plug specific to this camera so using another camera would need some rewiring. I'd imagine the 4 pins are a live feed and earth and 2 pins for the vid so probably doable with a little perseverance.
Finally a little tip from my experience. If using the extension and you want to utilise the reverse signal switch then wire the red cable from the extension to the green and black reverse wire behind the left NS light cluster and not the red wire coming from the camera. Good luck!

I was considering one of those. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like installed.

No worries.
The mount(s, 4 of them) they provide as standard won't work unless they're sending you a kit especially for the T6.
The camera has a 4 pin plug specific to this camera so using another camera would need some rewiring. I'd imagine the 4 pins are a live feed and earth and 2 pins for the vid so probably doable with a little perseverance.
Finally a little tip from my experience. If using the extension and you want to utilise the reverse signal switch then wire the red cable from the extension to the green and black reverse wire behind the left NS light cluster and not the red wire coming from the camera. Good luck!
Cheers for the info...this forum is invaluable as ever!

Do you have any pictures of what it looks like installed.

Sure. First off this is the windscreen mounting with the OEM mirror removed. You can see the auto wipe sensor is still plugged in.

window.jpg

Then we have the mirror mount from the OEM mirror which twists onto the windscreen mount. You can also
see the plug for the headlight sensor.

mirror.jpg

The mount they sent me is the whole thing. ie balljoint, arm and casting, not just the plate you see with the 2 screws.

So that's the before pictures and here's what it looks like with the autovox fitted. I've got a bulkhead behind my seats so the view in the mirror is coming from the rear camera.

20210708_150503.jpg20210708_150437.jpg

So yeah, I think you'll agree, pretty sweet eh? :D

Certainly looks OEM......I'm sold....I'm in chats with them now on the correct bracket and longer camera wire.... you're photos should help things along...
Cheers fella
Much appreciated!

Sure. First off this is the windscreen mounting with the OEM mirror removed. You can see the auto wipe sensor is still plugged in.

View attachment 122839

Then we have the mirror mount from the OEM mirror which twists onto the windscreen mount. You can also

View attachment 122841

The mount they sent me is the whole thing. ie balljoint, arm and casting, not just the plate you see with the 2 screws.

So that's the before pictures and here's what it looks like with the autovox fitted. I've got a bulkhead behind my seats so the view in the mirror is coming from the rear camera.

View attachment 122842View attachment 122843

That picture has been spoilt with a terrible air freshener....

View attachment 122839

View attachment 122841

View attachment 122842View attachment 122843

Yeah, that does look quite cool. I don’t have a bulkhead, but I do have a cycle rack and a bunch of kids’ heads so it would be good to have a constant rear view. What’s the quality like from the rearview in both daylight and night?

What’s the quality like from the rearview in both daylight and night?

Day is fine but not sure about night. What with it still being light nights and the 10PM curfew for my ASBO I can't really comment. :rofl:

....I'm in chats with them now on the correct bracket and longer camera wire.... you're photos should help things along...
The first 2 pictures are the ones I sent to Vicky at Autovox so yeah, they'll do the job so long as you have the same mounting.

Day is fine but not sure about night. What with it still being light nights and the 10PM curfew for my ASBO I can't really comment. :rofl:

The first 2 pictures are the ones I sent to Vicky at Autovox so yeah, they'll do the job so long as you have the same mounting.
Can this still be used a s a conventional mirror....ie only shows camera when you put in reverse?

I think you can have the screen off and have it come on if you've wired the reverse wire but I'm not sure it will be any good as a conventional mirror. Imagine your phone/ipad with the screen off. Yes, it acts as a mirror but its dark.

Thanks for all the info Howzat. Just bought one!
Dumb question though ... how do you get the original vw 'shroud' off. I can wiggle it, but can't remove it. The plastic seems fragile so don't want to break it by forcing.
Best,
Mike
SHROUD.png

EDIT Ahh! Please ignore. I see you have already answered this one here: Dash Camera (Front and Rear) Autovox V5pro

I didn't drill any holes in the bodywork. I drilled the lens instead and fed the wire through there.
Hi Howzat, If you have a mo., can you post a picture of where you drilled through the lens please? I was thinking of drilling mine about 10mm after the last LED ( X marks the spot below). I know yours is a barn door, but am thinking that the electronics of the light unit will be more or less is same relative position.
Best Wishes,

Mike
Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 13.18.24.png

Last edited:
That picture has been spoilt with a terrible air freshener....
Maybe the "toffee" air freshener smells better than the usual "toilet duck forest pine"! (I'll get my coat!)

Hi Howzat, If you have a mo.,
Hi Mike. Missed your questions until now. Stick the @ in front of a username so we get a notification eg @Cugel. :thumbsup:

I guess you got the shroud off eventually? EDIT: I see now you did.
As for drilling the lens then yeah exactly where you marked it. There's just enough space at the side of the internal LED board to get the wire past. EDIT: I removed the lens and dismantled it before drilling. Once it's off you'll see better if it's doable but I'm not sure if the tailgate version is as easy to remove and replace. I'm sure I've read somewhere here that the tailgate version breaks on removal.

Last edited:
Back