Rear View Mirror Mount

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anybody bought and installed a rear view mirror dash cam directly to their T6 windscreen. I now have a Wolfbox G840S. It was given to me by them when their D07 GoPro type I was using failed. I hot wired it directly to the fuse box and used the old rear camera and wiring saving the nightmare of a days work hiding the wire away again and it’s working fine. However, it has to be strapped on to the original mirror, which is a bit ugly. Wolfbox make an adapter so it can be installed directly to the windscreen. Seemed a good idea, so I bought it. Unfortunately Volkswagens ball and socket windscreen fitting is a unique twist and pull and the adapter has the generic slide over and jam type. Thought I’d be able to unstick the windscreen part and replace it. Tried all the usual methods to remove glued things including solvent and very thin filleting knife. It wont budge. Feels almost like it’s bolted or welded there as the thin knife goes in about five mms then hits something solid. In these situations there are normally many destructive options but I have to be careful as I’m working against the glass. Hoping someone might have some experience of replacing the rear view mirror windscreen mount. It’s a basic T6 Startline type with no wiring.

The Volkswagen twist off windscreen fitting.png

Volkswagens winscreen mount..png

VWs fixing left. Wolfbox bracket left.png

I stuck my new mount next to the VW one which you cannot see behind the mirror. Being picky, it's noticeable from outside but not something that bothers me.

Having tried similar on previous vehicle and ended up cracking glass I'd be reluctant to further attempt to remove. I think they are applied during manufacture. I went with a dash.cam that fits over existing mirror

I stuck my new mount next to the VW one which you cannot see behind the mirror. Being picky, it's noticeable from outside but not something that bothers me.

Thanks JB26413. I now have the windscreen fitting thats needed with the Wolfbox dash cam. The new dashcam is 12” long so, as you say, it’ll easily cover that extra lump. I might do that if my other options don't work. My first option is a friend with a 3D printer is going to make larger ball for the original bracket. My next is a bit more radical and involves cutting the ball off each fitting and welding or glueing the bigger one on VWs bracket. Welding cast fittings is difficult so I might try the weld glue. They boast it’s as good as…but we’ll see. This is still a kind of R&D job and is work in progress. Updates as they happen.

Which mount did you use and where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking,? I'm in the same situation

Back