Roof Spoiler starting to unbond

Ranger13

T6 Pro
The bonding on my rear spoiler is starting to come away at one end, can anyone advise on what to use to stick it back down, was recommended PU adhesive and to weigh it down overnight does this sound right and can I just lay the adhesive on top of whats already there or does it need some other prep?

Sikaflex - then just put plenty of masking tape on for a few hours to hold in place whilst setting

Ok cool it take it sikaflex a better product to use than pu adhesive ?

Sikaflex is a Make of sealer/adhesive & they do many different types.

You'll need a polyurethane adhesive / sealer.

Tigerseal, Wurth, Sikaflex are all good.

Don't use a cheap Tube, it's just not worth saving a couple of quid to find your spoiler flying off!

Sikaflex is a Make of sealer/adhesive & they do many different types.

You'll need a polyurethane adhesive / sealer.

Tigerseal, Wurth, Sikaflex are all good.

Don't use a cheap Tube, it's just not worth saving a couple of quid to find your spoiler flying off!

Understood. Cheers !

Well the unthinkable happened and the spoiler came off while driving luckily it was on a quiet bit of dual carriageway but it's ruined.

I contacted the custom company who installed it , who said it was an issue with the paint company and the paint/resin they used as mine was one of the 'early ones' they did. It basically bonded to the van but not to the spoiler. (!?)

The amount of stuff that has gone wrong custom-wise since ownership is ridiculous but if I don't laugh I'll cry.

Anyway they are fitting a new one next week, they said they have never heard of it happening before and have 'assured' me it won't happen again. Just so lucky I wasn't on a motorway when it came off and no one was behind me.

At the moment driving around with a load of black hardened sikaflex where my spoiler should be doesn't make for a good looking van !

So people make sure whatever you use or whoever you choose to do the job does it properly.

Feel for you mate, must have been a gutting feeling seeing it wrecked on floor.
This was the main reason for me going with oem spoiler, as they are screwed and bonded.

Glad they are getting it sorted.

Have a good look over the new spoiler before he fits it, mine has lots of pin holes in the paint - didn't notice till a couple of weeks ago. Basically regretting every penny spent with those guys.

Just out to check my spoiler's still fully attached........

If i had the choice again, i dont think i would fit one again. I ordered a genuine one, expecting it to look like the one on my previous T5.1, with the ends returning downwards a little (and adding a little more rigidity) but it doesent. From some angles i think it loooks a bit silly.

That's why I am holding out for the SwissVans version @TEESIXY , that is modeled on the T5.1 style but fits the T6.

Hoping it is just a case of cleaning all of the surfaces with a decent panel wipe first to male sure there can't be any contamination.

Have a good look over the new spoiler before he fits it, mine has lots of pin holes in the paint - didn't notice till a couple of weeks ago. Basically regretting every penny spent with those guys.

Just out to check my spoiler's still fully attached........

Who did your work mate?

Feel for you mate, must have been a gutting feeling seeing it wrecked on floor.
This was the main reason for me going with oem spoiler, as they are screwed and bonded.

Glad they are getting it sorted.

I'm not sure how they will go about removing the old sikaflex on the van but they seem confident about doing it , have told me to leave it as they will sort it.

Agree screwed in is the way to go.

Back