Rear Spoiler Construction

DaveyB

Team White
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All, I have a really simple question.
I am looking to get a rear spoiler for my Kombi, but do I go for a Fibreglass version, or a plastic version that is less than half the price?
Your opinions and experiences will be gratefully received.

I went for a genuine VW spoiler , it was already primed and fitted like a glove

Reactions: HHO
Its a personal choice really @DaveyB. I liked the new one for the T6 and it is available in white..bonus!
There are a couple of nice ones out there, the custom vanz one is worth a look, it should be good quality from them, just depends on your taste.

Hi guys, I have found the style I want, it is the Swiss Vans version as depicted in the images recently posted by @andythom188 , personally I think it is the nicest one I've seen on a T6. However they do it in fibreglass, but having spoken to them this morning they are about to start selling a plastic version. My question is around seeking out whether any one has had specific issues with either material when it comes to styling product, and which may be best, as the fibreglass one is so much more expensive. Happy to splash the £, if I get the best product for it.

From a painters point of view and general bodywork I'd go with plastic everytime.
Easier to stick and repair. Fibreglass can bubble, it's heavier and can soak in moisture.

I would have to agree, my previous experiences have not been great with fibreglass, it never seems to be that good a finish compared to plastic and I have had bubbling issues too

good thread gents......I'm in that position too! It's a minefield......or so it seems sometimes!!!!!!!

good thread gents......I'm in that position too! It's a minefield......or so it seems sometimes!!!!!!!
totally agree. With all the different styles and different manufacturers producing in different materials its almost impossible to figure out what is the best thing to do where you won't be cheesed off at wasting your money if it turns out to be a lemon.

I bought a rear fibreglass spoiler for the T5 had to fill and sand imperfections before fitting. Also the fit wasn't brilliant, unlike the genuine T6 plastic one.

I've seem OEM and Custom Vanz versions in the flesh. Design is personal preference, but both look very good quality. I have the OEM one.

i bought a genuine VW one and bought some black base coat in a can and a can of 2 pack lacquer..
glue it on dont drill holes (use Tiger Seal)
im happy..
2zzkxt3.jpg

i bought a genuine VW one and bought some black base coat in a can and a can of 2 pack lacquer..
glue it on dont drill holes (use Tiger Seal)
im happy..
2zzkxt3.jpg

I also used tiger seal and didn't bother drilling the holes, stuck like billio

I recently purchased a plastic sportline rear tailgate spoiler from van-tech which I'm having sprayed/colour coded before fitting myself, I gather that tiger seal is what to use for bonding, but wandered if the thin foam gasket that came with it should be used as well, I spoke to van-tech and was told not to, any comments would be welcome, also bonding time, how to apply sealant etc

Last edited:
toonaroon ...
do not use the gasket
clean both surface areas with something like panel wipe
try the spoiler first see if you are happy with how it fits flush to the metal work
its really a 2 man job
tigerseal spoiler and body then gently position in place
get a mate to hold it while you check your happy
then fasten it down with masking tape
leave 24 hours b4 removing tape
i did just that

skyliner33 ...
oem is over £200 i think
i have a couple of aftermarket ones left £65 each ABS plastic

Last edited:
Back