Rear Speakers Finally Fitted, Along With New Dimmable Lights.

t0mb0

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I finally got around to fitting new rear speakers in our camper. I worked out 4in speakers would just about fit flush in the rear section which avoided stealing vital headroom above the bed with speaker pods. I used Audison APX4 speakers and I'm very impressed with the sound quality given the size of them. Now the kids won't be yelling at us from the back to turn up the volume whilst driving, which was an issue because we ended up getting deafened in the front!

Whilst I had the side trim down to run the wiring, I took the opportunity to fit some touch-dimmable warm white LED spotlights. Our previous LEDs were a very white light which feels a bit harsh for evenings in the camper. Pictures attached!

I used OBD11 to code in the fader but if anyone knows a way of coding the stereo to not turn off after twenty minutes of ignition off, that would be amazing! There are a lot of stereo coding options in there so I'm hoping one might be the timer. There's an entry in there for van type or similar, so maybe if I tell it it's a California, that might work??

20190720-120328.JPG 20190720-120321.JPG 20190720-120355.JPG 20190720-120605.JPG

It can be done when using Media Control app so it might be possible to change with VCDS

73913EC5-20ED-4987-A5D4-1DFA1C8CC12F.jpeg

I haven't managed to turn the timer off, but I have managed to change it to 60 minutes! I used OBD11 but I assume there are similar steps with VCDS. The steps I used are:

1) Connect OBD11 and go to the "Information control unit" section.
2) Select "Change Service" and choose "Development mode".
3) Go to Adaptations and change "Developer mode" to "Activate". This should enable developer mode on the stereo.
4) Press and hold "Setup" on the stereo. Hold it until it goes through "System settings", through "Service Mode" and finally into "Engineering Testmode"
5) This menu has all kinds of settings, audio and otherwise, but for the timer, go to "Software" and then "Power management".
6) The first item on the menu then allows you to select a standby time from 0 to 60 minutes.
7) When you're done, press and hold power on the radio to reset it and get out of service mode. If you don't do this, it will remain on when you take the key out of the ignition and drain your battery!

EDIT - Actually step 7 isn’t enough to get it out of developer mode, you have to explicitly deactivate it - i.e reverse step 3. Otherwise it wakes up in the middle of the night complaining about bluetooth and draining your battery...

20190720-171137.JPG 20190720-171150.JPG

Last edited:
Back