Rear Pillar Lining.

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
LWB Kombi, heading in to have rear windows and a pop top fitted in January. When the windows are fitted the converter is going to do the carpet lining as it’s best done along with the window I think.
Today took the kombi lining out in preparation for making new ply lining for the converter to cover.
I want to end up with full windows.

On the rear pillar behind the window space there are three large square apertures on an angle.
Any suggestions for lining these before the carpet goes in?
Alternatively is there an OEM vent that fits on here? Thanks in anticipation.

LWB Kombi, heading in to have rear windows and a pop top fitted in January. When the windows are fitted the converter is going to do the carpet lining as it’s best done along with the window I think.
Today took the kombi lining out in preparation for making new ply lining for the converter to cover.
I want to end up with full windows.

On the rear pillar behind the window space there are three large square apertures on an angle.
Any suggestions for lining these before the carpet goes in?
Alternatively is there an OEM vent that fits on here? Thanks in anticipation.

Can you post up a pic. My factory window van has some simple plastic trims adjacent to the window on the D pillar.

Ian

upload_2019-12-1_17-3-40.jpeg
Can you post up a pic. My factory window van has some simple plastic trims adjacent to the window on the D pillar.

Ian
Thanks, might be nice to have a vent behind the window when it’s in.
Planning low furniture on the right without wardrobe.
One of the upsides of not having to follow the camper van guidelines is to be a bit more creative with the internals.

I don’t think I had them on my Kombi. Since my van was converted I have pondered on how to get fresh air into the van when sleeping in absolute ‘stealth mode’.
I considered installing a very small electric fan on a periodic timer taking air from a new grill behind the D pillar external plastic panel, through the D pillar into the van.
One of the holes you are querying would be suitable for the vent into the van.

Genuine VW part to clip into the holes in the 'D' pillar of a LWB T5 or T6...

7H3 853 215 Y20 I think the only colour option is Y20 pearl grey but check number and colour when ordering. There are 6 per vehicle i. e. not handed.

I always fit them, could be fitted with a round air vent, I used vents from REIMO but I can't find a part number for you now.

Rod

Rod,

I could only spot 2 in my SWB factory window van. Would you fit them and carpet over?

Ian

B65D1F60-7378-4720-B185-A40200090719.jpeg

Ian,

The rear corner of a SWB is totally different to that of a LWB. I'll post a picture in a while time permitting and as you'll see I fit them after carpeting.

Rod

Genuine VW part to clip into the holes in the 'D' pillar of a LWB T5 or T6...

7H3 853 215 Y20 I think the only colour option is Y20 pearl grey but check number and colour when ordering. There are 6 per vehicle i. e. not handed.

I always fit them, could be fitted with a round air vent, I used vents from REIMO but I can't find a part number for you now.

Rod
Thanks very much for the info, I shall get some ordered in preparation for the carpeting.

Ian,

The rear corner of a SWB is totally different to that of a LWB. I'll post a picture in a while time permitting and as you'll see I fit them after carpeting.

Rod
Bit of confusion, Ian @Paynewright posted a photo of a SWB with a plastic closing panel. @rod_vw has given me a number for a part which I think is for individual 'squares' that fill in the apertures in the D pillar.
Quite like the full one piece panel but guess it won't fit my LWB?
I have asked @Pauly if he can get the parts but as I am in the North of Scotland it's often easier to go to the local dealer.

Here is a picture of a much earlier conversion of mine (LWB) but the parts are the same. These were in a window van which comes with them already fitted.

55656-38e443fe7b039692667783c3b2bdcacf.jpg

There are similar plastic parts to fill the access holes to rear tailgate hinges.

55657-4bfa178a64b254f6281e7fb4c3347105.jpg

Those pictures are all taken before any work was done on the van.

It's worth remembering that when carpeting it's good to tape over ALL holes in the metalwork first as this prevents the carpeting acting as an air filter for the daily dust particles and leaving a dirty mark!
I always go over these with bits of gaffer tape.

Here is a picture of a much earlier conversion of mine (LWB) but the parts are the same. These were in a window van which comes with them already fitted.

View attachment 55650

There are similar plastic parts to fill the access holes to rear tailgate hinges.

View attachment 55651

Those pictures are all taken before any work was done on the van.

It's worth remembering that when carpeting it's good to tape over ALL holes in the metalwork first as this prevents the carpeting acting as an air filter for the daily dust particles and leaving a dirty mark!
I always go over these with bits of gaffer tape.

Thanks, that's very useful. Be good to fit after carpeting as I think you said earlier. That way I can get access to the D pillar for wiring.
Also like the idea of fitting air vents both for the door slam and also condensation.
Appreciate the advice on covering holes, I have some aluminum 'speed tape' that I plan to use for that job.

Thanks, that's very useful. Be good to fit after carpeting as I think you said earlier. That way I can get access to the D pillar for wiring.
Also like the idea of fitting air vents both for the door slam and also condensation.
Appreciate the advice on covering holes, I have some aluminum 'speed tape' that I plan to use for that job.

How did you get on with the holes? I'm looking at carpeting over mine but cant find the blanks anywhere

How did you get on with the holes? I'm looking at carpeting over mine but cant find the blanks anywhere
Bought the hole covers for the LWB rear pillars from the local VW van centre. They fit fine and should go on after carpeting. About £6 each though and there are 6 of them!
They look good in light grey and will look OK of silver carpet.
@rod_vw had the part number right in post #6
If you want to carpet over the top I would bond a bit of shaped ply on there and go over it. Be a lot cheaper.

Genuine VW part to clip into the holes in the 'D' pillar of a LWB T5 or T6... 7H3 853 215 Y20
Does anyone happen to know if similar covers exists for SWB T6? I’d really like to hide the fluff:

BCD0347D-0110-4F59-9D1D-A503F4A8C84D.jpeg

Thanks, I completely missed that.

Best bet to source these would be to get in touch with local VW van centre then?
I would think so. They should get the part number easy enough. Also it will probably be one of those bits which is cheaper at the dealer than on eBay. Strange but often true.

For the complete upper 'D' pillar trims you need to be looking around these part numbers 7E5 867 245 & 7E5 867 246A

BUT BE CAREFUL, THERE ARE NUMEROUS VARIATIONS BOTH FOR DIFFERENT YEARS, TRIM LEVELS AND COLOURS! Find yourself a good parts person who understands the differences and can explain them to you in relation to your particular vehicle.

Don't say you were not warned!

Back