Just about done on this for now. I was going to reuse the USB in the glovebox, but I like the idea of it being in the little box above the ashtray and I noticed there was a blank in there, presumably where the 2nd one is on some vans. So got one of these little end sockets, only a fiver from ebay
IMG_1968.JPG

Fitted it into the cubby, wired it up and put the dash back together and I'm done. The sock is to protect the gear lever from scratching by the way
IMG_7015.JPG

Still trying to find a way of keeping the camera screen alive for a while after coming out of reverse so I can use the front/surround cameras. If I can't then I'll probably just get a normal full width reversing camera and fit that. All the lightning cables I have are too long to be scrunched up in that cubby so I've ordered a much shorter coiled one.

Been doing some more messing about fine tuning things and have a couple of little VCDS nuggets for anyone with this unit (to clarify, it's the Desay 187B version of the RCD330, can't say whether the other versions will work the same but this seems to be the one that is being supplied by most sellers on Ebay).

First, it's supposedly possible to change the vehicle silhouette shown in Parkpilot to a Transporter. I say supposedly as it didn't seem to change anything when I did it. I did a headunit reset and a power cycle of the ignition but was still left with a Golf shaped car when I started up again. It could be that, like the camera, it needs to be left overnight to sort itself out, I'll report back. To do this, go into 56 Radio (not 5F as some other VW headunits use) and enter Hex 14 into Byte 6. As I said, nothing's happened so far but the description does change to the one below
View attachment 39092

Next, want to get rid of the option for "Baidu Carlife" on the app screen? Still in '56 Radio' , change Byte 0 to Hex 06. This does work and it disappeared immediately from my screen. As well as Carplay there's still the option for Mirrorlink which can also be deleted. I don't know what it is and I can't imagine I'll use it, but I'll leave it there for now.
Been playing with VCDS again and just thought I'd mention that the first one of these doesn't work. Although the coding is there in VCDS, the graphics of the Transporter aren't loaded in as it was never one of the vehicles it was fitted to so you have to settle for the default Golf/Scirroco/Polo looking shape.

I've also been experimenting with the coding for rear camera and OPS to see if I can get my front camera to work but I'll add that to the thread I'd already started on that.

Forgot to add, I've found that fitting this headunit does cause a fault code in Instruments, CAN Gateway, and 56 Radio. From what I can deduce, this is down to the bluetooth/phone module being disconnected from the headunit as it's all onboard. The entry "56 - Radio" is added to the list of modules and this appears to make "5F Information Electric" unreachable. All the necessary coding options are still available in other modules and there don't appear to be any issues caused by these fault codes, or anything you can do about it.

Do you have a link for this socket please @andys ?

Just about done on this for now. I was going to reuse the USB in the glovebox, but I like the idea of it being in the little box above the ashtray and I noticed there was a blank in there, presumably where the 2nd one is on some vans. So got one of these little end sockets, only a fiver from ebay
View attachment 39403

Fitted it into the cubby, wired it up and put the dash back together and I'm done. The sock is to protect the gear lever from scratching by the way
View attachment 39404

Still trying to find a way of keeping the camera screen alive for a while after coming out of reverse so I can use the front/surround cameras. If I can't then I'll probably just get a normal full width reversing camera and fit that. All the lightning cables I have are too long to be scrunched up in that cubby so I've ordered a much shorter coiled one.

Forgot to add, I've found that fitting this headunit does cause a fault code in Instruments, CAN Gateway, and 56 Radio. From what I can deduce, this is down to the bluetooth/phone module being disconnected from the headunit as it's all onboard. The entry "56 - Radio" is added to the list of modules and this appears to make "5F Information Electric" unreachable. All the necessary coding options are still available in other modules and there don't appear to be any issues caused by these fault codes, or anything you can do about it.
That’s standard, removing the OE radio for ANY replacement will cause this
The gateway will expect to see 5F and if it doesn’t (you untick it ) then it will look for 56 instead and one or the other will show a fault

Thought I'd better update this as all has not been well this last week or so.
Sometimes carplay will just not work at startup, sometimes it will just stop working mid journey and say that the device is not available. On one occasion it showed as working but although Siri was coming out of the speakers, any other audio was coming out of the phone! Once it stops working, resetting the stereo 3 or 4 times will sometimes get it working again, but if it's not working after 4 then no amount of resets will get it back. It will also sometimes carry on playing the audio but with a black screen.
Very annoying when you lose your nav and audio midway round a roundabout and have to pull over.

I've had the unit out and replaced all the wiring, even though it tested fine, just in case, tried with several usb leads including one bypassing the interior socket, and 3 different iPhones running 2 different versions of iOS. Said phones also work fine with carplay in other vehicles so everything has been eliminated bar the headunit.

Don't know if anyone else is having issues but I'm probably going to abandon mine as if it can't be relied on to work then it's useless. Very frustrating when it's been working fine before and was such a cheap alternative to the other very expensive units with carplay.

Thought I'd better update this as all has not been well this last week or so.
Sometimes carplay will just not work at startup, sometimes it will just stop working mid journey and say that the device is not available. On one occasion it showed as working but although Siri was coming out of the speakers, any other audio was coming out of the phone! Once it stops working, resetting the stereo 3 or 4 times will sometimes get it working again, but if it's not working after 4 then no amount of resets will get it back. It will also sometimes carry on playing the audio but with a black screen.
Very annoying when you lose your nav and audio midway round a roundabout and have to pull over.

I've had the unit out and replaced all the wiring, even though it tested fine, just in case, tried with several usb leads including one bypassing the interior socket, and 3 different iPhones running 2 different versions of iOS. Said phones also work fine with carplay in other vehicles so everything has been eliminated bar the headunit.

Don't know if anyone else is having issues but I'm probably going to abandon mine as if it can't be relied on to work then it's useless. Very frustrating when it's been working fine before and was such a cheap alternative to the other very expensive units with carplay.

Hi

I have been considering fitting a 360 camera system similar to yours. The manufacturer tells me it is possible to upload a transporter image as the vehicle overlay, so I may well bite the bullet and go for it.
Super HD 1080P Bird View Panorama System Car DVR Recording four car camera 707242650696 | eBay
Do you find the 360 view and the additional camera useful for maneuvering tight spaces?
It looks like quite a bit of work to install, but I don't mind if the results are good.
Please let me know if you feel it's worth the effort.
My Van has rear parking sensors but none on the front, I don't think I can justify the cost of the oem retrofit kit (maybe there is a cheaper way??)

But this brings on my next issue...... The display screen!
My standard headunit is the one that will not accept any video input, so I need to change.
I was looking at the RCD330 plus, but it seems from your experience that it's probably best to avoid.
Have you found another headunit that is reasonably priced but will allow you to display the 360 camera view easily
I am considering something like this instead.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-TFT-LED-Color-Mirror-Parking-Monitor-fits-Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Backup-Camera/153446514992

But that still leaves me with the crappy standard non appleplay headunit.

Thanks in advance

Deaks :)

Hi

I have been considering fitting a 360 camera system similar to yours. The manufacturer tells me it is possible to upload a transporter image as the vehicle overlay, so I may well bite the bullet and go for it.
Super HD 1080P Bird View Panorama System Car DVR Recording four car camera 707242650696 | eBay
Do you find the 360 view and the additional camera useful for maneuvering tight spaces?
It looks like quite a bit of work to install, but I don't mind if the results are good.
Please let me know if you feel it's worth the effort.
My Van has rear parking sensors but none on the front, I don't think I can justify the cost of the oem retrofit kit (maybe there is a cheaper way??)

But this brings on my next issue...... The display screen!
My standard headunit is the one that will not accept any video input, so I need to change.
I was looking at the RCD330 plus, but it seems from your experience that it's probably best to avoid.
Have you found another headunit that is reasonably priced but will allow you to display the 360 camera view easily
I am considering something like this instead.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-TFT-LED-Color-Mirror-Parking-Monitor-fits-Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Backup-Camera/153446514992

But that still leaves me with the crappy standard non appleplay headunit.

Thanks in advance

I haven't looked but I don't want anything that doesn't have carplay so I'll stick with it as Ill probably only have the van for another 4-5 months. It works fine most of the time, just needs rebooting occasionally. The main reason it doesn't work very well with the 360 camera is that it won't display an image unless you're in reverse so cuts out half its functionality. I tried using one of those over the mirror monitors but it was too small and grainy so I went back to using the 7" monitor under the pop up centre dash cover and just flip it up when I need a forward image. Hardly ever bother though, tend to just use it as a reversing camera and it's fine for that.

evening guys

so i had a read through and you blew my brain cells... far too much going on in andys but cant fault the effort etc.
i left mine for ages and back at faffing...been doing coilovers and external stuff...
usb plug...you wire this to the spare green connector leftover from the old unit? so its just a charge point but in the dash? or am i a mile off here?
rear camera...i havent had it work... id also love the phone stuff back on the dash
seen this different connector that seems to get good vibes....thoughts please...
i reaaaally cant be arsed to faff about too much, but like the unit etc.
Quadlock Adaptor For VW/SKODA Radio Plug (2015-) To 2003-2015 Transporter T6 T5 | eBay

many thanks for any advice.
chris :)

evening guys

so i had a read through and you blew my brain cells... far too much going on in andys but cant fault the effort etc.
i left mine for ages and back at faffing...been doing coilovers and external stuff...
usb plug...you wire this to the spare green connector leftover from the old unit? so its just a charge point but in the dash? or am i a mile off here?
rear camera...i havent had it work... id also love the phone stuff back on the dash
seen this different connector that seems to get good vibes....thoughts please...
i reaaaally cant be arsed to faff about too much, but like the unit etc.
Quadlock Adaptor For VW/SKODA Radio Plug (2015-) To 2003-2015 Transporter T6 T5 | eBay

many thanks for any advice.
chris :)
Hi Chris, any 40/52 pin quad lock adapter should do, though it may need a couple of connections swapping round as in my case.

USB? You mean in addition to the connection to the stereo to use as a charger? Yes I wired up the existing socket I had in the dash later on, but not to the stereo, I connected the power wires only (red and black) of the usb to a 15W 12v to 5v converter (under a tenner on eBay) so that it could handle a 2.1A charge output. This came off an ignition live via a 5a fuse.

Rear camera shouldn’t be a problem, you might need to buy the little blue plug that goes into the quadlock also off eBay though if yours didn’t come with one.

No way of getting the phone info on the central MFD though, it’s just not a facility this unit offers. Personally I don’t want it though, I want my digital speedo visible all the time.

After all that though, I have to admit I’ve moved on, by a coincidence I just ordered a Kenwood 8019 from absolut5 about 2 hrs ago...

Hi Chris, any 40/52 pin quad lock adapter should do, though it may need a couple of connections swapping round as in my case.

USB? You mean in addition to the connection to the stereo to use as a charger? Yes I wired up the existing socket I had in the dash later on, but not to the stereo, I connected the power wires only (red and black) of the usb to a 15W 12v to 5v converter (under a tenner on eBay) so that it could handle a 2.1A charge output. This came off an ignition live via a 5a fuse.

Rear camera shouldn’t be a problem, you might need to buy the little blue plug that goes into the quadlock also off eBay though if yours didn’t come with one.

No way of getting the phone info on the central MFD though, it’s just not a facility this unit offers. Personally I don’t want it though, I want my digital speedo visible all the time.

After all that though, I have to admit I’ve moved on, by a coincidence I just ordered a Kenwood 8019 from absolut5 about 2 hrs ago...

Hi

How are you finding the new Kenwood head unit?
Did you manage to get the 360 camera system working OK with it?
How do the parking sensors work now, do you see anything on the screen, or is it just beeps now?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm now at the point where I either go for the full 360 system, which price wise is OK, but a lot of work to install, or just go for a some good quality rear (and front) cameras into a new head unit.

TIA

Hi

How are you finding the new Kenwood head unit?
Did you manage to get the 360 camera system working OK with it?
How do the parking sensors work now, do you see anything on the screen, or is it just beeps now?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm now at the point where I either go for the full 360 system, which price wise is OK, but a lot of work to install, or just go for a some good quality rear (and front) cameras into a new head unit.

TIA

Hi, I'm generally happy with the Kenwood (see this thread for more Wireless Charging And Carplay) and the 360 camera system works perfectly with it. Parking sensors work fine on screen, however I have disabled the display while the camera is on as the picture of a car obsures the 360 "all round" part of the screen. They come on once the front camera has timed out, if there's still something within the sensors field of view.

Hi, I'm generally happy with the Kenwood (see this thread for more Wireless Charging And Carplay) and the 360 camera system works perfectly with it. Parking sensors work fine on screen, however I have disabled the display while the camera is on as the picture of a car obsures the 360 "all round" part of the screen. They come on once the front camera has timed out, if there's still something within the sensors field of view.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I’ll pull the trigger in the 360 system as it also records all four cams when driving, and the cost is not much more than buying two cameras.

I notice you put the front one in the VW badge, was that a not too bad job, and do you have the supplier details/link please?

I’m not sure what head unit to go for yet though.

Wolfgang (yes he has a name) is going in for a bunch of stuff tomorrow including new ply/altro floor with unwin rails, windows, diesel heater, carpeting and stance ultra coilivers. So I’ll have to recover from that lot before I can buy a new head unit.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I’ll pull the trigger in the 360 system as it also records all four cams when driving, and the cost is not much more than buying two cameras.

I notice you put the front one in the VW badge, was that a not too bad job, and do you have the supplier details/link please?

I’m not sure what head unit to go for yet though.

Wolfgang (yes he has a name) is going in for a bunch of stuff tomorrow including new ply/altro floor with unwin rails, windows, diesel heater, carpeting and stance ultra coilivers. So I’ll have to recover from that lot before I can buy a new head unit.

Easy job drilling a hole in the badge and running the cable through the grommet in the bulkhead behind the battery. The camera was just the little cheap one that came with the 360 system. I don't use mine for recording as I have front and rear Thinkware dashcams. I don't know how much these ebay aftermarket 360 systems have improved in the 2yrs since I got mine, but mine isn't in the same league as the OEM ones. I've since been in a BMW with a factory 360 system and mine is nothing like as good as that, even calibrated correctly mine still has loads of curves and distortion that isn't there on the factory systems. I like having it, but it's the front and rear views that are the most useful and the "overhead" view is a bit of a gimmick. The Kenwood actually has a third video input too so I'm thinking of fitting a higher res camera with a wide view for use as a rear view mirror for autobahn use when the rear screen is blocked by a bike.

That’s a great idea for the third camera. I also have a similar issue when this Italian girl is in the back......
upload_2019-9-15_18-36-21.jpeg

Her sister is not so tall, so not so much of an issue....

upload_2019-9-15_18-45-24.jpeg

Maybe it would be better to install some good quality cameras instead of the 360 system. I’ve used the Mercedes system recently and there is no distortion at all.
I fear I might be dissatisfied if the processing is not as good as it could be.

What bike (s) do you have?

I think I have got the dimensions for the unwin rails worked out. I plan to make some kind of removable system to hold the bike without having to mess about with tie downs all over the place.

Am I right in thinking that reversing guide lines that move with the steering wheel input are only possible with the own camera and suitable own head unit.
I find them really useful in the car!!

TIA

That’s a great idea for the third camera. I also have a similar issue when this Italian girl is in the back......
View attachment 50883

Her sister is not so tall, so not so much of an issue....

View attachment 50885

Maybe it would be better to install some good quality cameras instead of the 360 system. I’ve used the Mercedes system recently and there is no distortion at all.
I fear I might be dissatisfied if the processing is not as good as it could be.

What bike (s) do you have?

I think I have got the dimensions for the unwin rails worked out. I plan to make some kind of removable system to hold the bike without having to mess about with tie downs all over the place.

Am I right in thinking that reversing guide lines that move with the steering wheel input are only possible with the own camera and suitable own head unit.
I find them really useful in the car!!

TIA

Sadly mine is only an electric mountain bike on a rack on the back, a nasty injury while off-roading 7yrs ago which resulted in various bits of metal keeping my right arm in one piece meant an end to my motorbike riding forever. In fact that was how I ended getting into vans instead. These were what was in my garage at the time
326664_10151034985422883_270934146_o.JPG
614689_10151034357562883_481929612_o.JPG

I'm sure I remember someone saying they were going to have a go at fitting the reversing camera system from a Toerag/ran or something like that, which has dynamic parking lines, but I don't know if they ever had any success.

I don't know what the performance of the 360 system is that you're looking at but the cheap ebay systems like the one I've got are nothing like the one you saw in the Merc. Unless they've improved a lot, as I say mine is more than 2 years old now.

hi mate, im back to faffing with this...
when a phone call has been started if you scroll though your steering wheel buttons you'll now see audio and details on the dash....if you call from the rcd330 you wont see this though until started and scrolling through...bizarre
how did you get rear cam to work...aftermarket? or fac fit and coding with vcds?

let me know if pos...many thanks chris

Back