Rcd Required For Inverter?

Matt_d_1985

Hi All,

I have bought a Leasure Battery, CTEK charger and inventor. I was going to run an extension lead from the inverter, cut of the socket section and instead wire it to a fixed socket. Do I need to fit an RCD between the fixed socket and the plug going into the inverter?

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi All,

I have bought a Leasure Battery, CTEK charger and inventor. I was going to run an extension lead from the inverter, cut of the socket section and instead wire it to a fixed socket. Do I need to fit an RCD between the fixed socket and the plug going into the inverter?

Many thanks,

Matt
Yes either a circuit breaker and RCD or an RCBO

I'd suggest an RCD plug like Pauleys, like the ones on an electric lawnmower - simple & effective. Make sure its Residual Current not Earth Leakage - on a camper sat on rubber tyres the 'earth' ought not to be relied upon as it comes down the EHU and its extension to the appliance is down to the inverter. An RCD in itself doesnt rely on an earth connection but trips to any difference it sees between the outgoing and return current caused by for example any leakage to earth through your body. Theres often no concept of 'live' & 'neutral' with an inverter - its just 240 AC between the two wires so treat both with equal respect.
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends whether your invertor is N-E bonded or floating 240v

All the ones I've had are floating, but you might not know if its bonded or not, so my suggestion was to treat both 'live' and 'neutral' with equal respect
afro.gif

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Matt
You can get RCD sockets if that helps/adds to the confusion :whistle:

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have a Victron 12/375 inverter if that help. Would an RCD plug be surficient protection for this?

Back