Rattle driving me nuts!

Pastybaron

IMG_6844.JPG Hi all. This is my first post since joining today.

I must have one of the first T6 models (thought I was getting another T5!), it arrived Oct 2015 ish, and previously was waiting for me at my work place.

Since new it has had an annoying rattle. It is always there at >50mph, and intermittently there at lower speeds, I'm on >30k miles now and it is still rattling.

It sounds like it's coming from 1 of 2 places; either the very front of the dash, where it meets the windscreen. Or, the roof lining where it meets the windscreen. I'm having difficulty audiably triangulating the area, but think it is slightly left of centre.

I have read about others having issues in the roof lining area, but not the same. If I push on all the different areas - no change.

Any ideas? Doubt warranty will cover it as I've left it too long.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

There is a slot between the dash and windscreen that swallows pens, parking meter tickets and many other things, it is quite deep so I expect something has gone down there.
Others have bought a strip of foam to block the gap.

I had a rattle in the windscreen/ roof lining area and I traced it to the blank panel on the cabin side of the interior lights (under the roof pocket). I popped it out, spread the metal fingers so that it sits tighter in the hold, stuck it back in and it's never rattled again.

You should still be well covered by warranty.
My old Cali had a dash rattle I never managed to sort. It also had squeaky brakes from new.
I also have had squeaky brakes, hot or cold wet or dry. It drives me insane and is embarrassing in slow traffic. Dealer has copper greased them and skimmed the pad and disc. My concern is what happens if it returns? Dealer mentioned new pads! 6k miles - I don't think so.

I also have had squeaky brakes, hot or cold wet or dry. It drives me insane and is embarrassing in slow traffic. Dealer has copper greased them and skimmed the pad and disc. My concern is what happens if it returns? Dealer mentioned new pads! 6k miles - I don't think so.
Not ideal; they did the "they all do that" line and never properly sorted mine.

Agreed; new pads at 6k is ridiculous.

I have a very similar rattle. Cant seem to pinpoint where its comming from.

Top of dash, in the centre, by the windscreen, there is a little black square trim cap about an inch square in size on my Highline. No idea what it's for but mine started to vibrate. It now has a thin strip of rubber wedged under it. :thumbsup:

Had similar problem, rattle starting at 80km/h and dealer had 4 goes at fixing it. Ended up with a loan vehicle for a week and same rattle but worse, so clearly a design issue. Quick search found this on the T6 California website:

Annoying rattle from dashboard area | VW California Owners Club

Small amount of silicon under the blanking cap and rattle gone.

Great vehicles but things like this really let them down...

Annoying rattle from dashboard area | VW California Owners Club

Small amount of silicon under the blanking cap and rattle gone.

Thanks for the link. Only just got around to trying it. I siliconed the 2 blanking caps, while I was at it, the plastic trim in which they sit, I noticed if you tap it, it will contact the bodwork ubderneath, which may or may not also cause a similar rattle. So I siliconed that in a few places too.

I just drove to the South of France; about 900 miles, no rattle! Many thanks!

Hello all
I have a lower drivers side ‘A post’ rattle, I have investigated thisrattle and found that the plastic trim on the A post at the bottom pops in and out. If you push it back in is click/pops back in but then eventually pops out again esp if you press ‘A post’ plastic trim half way up. Could this be a broken clip? Design fault or other? Also does anybody know if this would be fixable under warranty?

A bit late on this thread but I also have a couple of rattles (2017 T6 Highline, A-post and stowage above head, as mentioned above). I just checked with local VW service centre, VW see this as an 'adjustment" issue, which is only covered by a 3 month warranty. Mine was registered in September, so I've missed the boat on that one....

Back