Rapid temperature rise from cold

LambethBoy

204 DSG 4Motion
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
This might seem like a bit of a strange one, but is there anything that would cause the temperature to rise quickly on a 204? All fluids are where they should be. Went from a freezing cold van as the temperatures have dropped to only driving about half a mile and the temperature was up to its normal range which seems far too quick for me.
As I normally used to having to go further before that happens.
Any ideas?

Longshot but have you checked your antifreeze levels? I once had the same on a mini and found the water was frozen in the radiator. It’s been extremely cold this week.

do you have an auxiliary coolant heater? should be sticker on the drivers door inset if you have?

This might seem like a bit of a strange one, but is there anything that would cause the temperature to rise quickly on a 204? All fluids are where they should be. Went from a freezing cold van as the temperatures have dropped to only driving about half a mile and the temperature was up to its normal range which seems far too quick for me.
As I normally used to having to go further before that happens.
Any ideas?
It's caused by Regen

as above, and. . . .

valves and circulation pumps keep the coolant in the engine block until its up to temp.

three stages:

cold running
warm up
operating temp

1705671238364.png1705671294241.png1705671305271.png

Longshot but have you checked your antifreeze levels? I once had the same on a mini and found the water was frozen in the radiator. It’s been extremely cold this week.
Yep all good

It's caused by Regen
That quick buddy? Was only out 5 minutes.

as above, and. . . .

valves and circulation pumps keep the coolant in the engine block until its up to temp.

three stages:

cold running
warm up
operating temp

View attachment 226108View attachment 226109View attachment 226110

I’ll look at that.
But you know when you know your van well and just think… that was quicker than normal?

Was only out 5 minutes.
Didn't finish off DPF regen last night so it restarted immediately in the morning - and it's fairly quick even in current temperatures up here. At about 4 minutes even the DPF is up to temp to start burn off the soot. Probably could have made it even a bit faster without a long downhill (foot off the throttle) at 150...180 seconds.

1705695817941.png

Didn't finish off DPF regen last night so it restarted immediately in the morning - and it's fairly quick even in current temperatures up here. At about 4 minutes even the DPF is up to temp to start burn off the soot. Probably could have made it even a bit faster without a long downhill (foot off the throttle) at 150...180 seconds.

View attachment 226163
Ahh. Now this makes sense.
Today coming up to temperature from cold was normal.
Thank you @mmi

Reactions: mmi
Back