Question for people with pull out Awnings

Deckard

Hi

I have a T6 Camper with a Dometic pull out awning. On the side with the awning, at the front corner only, the Pop Top doesn't sit down far enough to compress the seal when closed. You can quite easily get your fingers under it and there's quite a bit of wind noise when driving at above 40mph. I'm being told, by Winchester Caravans who sold me the Camper, that this is normal and nothing to worry about - because the top has to sit on top of the awning brackets. I'm not convinced - I can envisage water getting driven through the gap.

Can those of you, with similar awnings, please let me know whether your roof sits properly - and properly compresses the seal. I could od with some quick feedback while the Van is back with them, having just had a service.

Thanks for your help

The California ocean closes its roof over the bracket and because it's hydraulic, it does compress the seal more than what you describe, here is a very small gap but any water driven in whilst driving runs down the channel and out of drain holes at the front and rear.

I never even noticed that my roof closes onto the awning rail bracket but you’re right it does. The rubber seal of the roof covers it completely when shut though and the seal doesn’t leave a visible gap on the outside when shut.

I never even noticed that my roof closes onto the awning rail bracket but you’re right it does. The rubber seal of the roof covers it completely when shut though and the seal doesn’t leave a visible gap on the outside when shut.
Ours only does it at the very corner of the front passenger side - the rest of the roof is fine with the seal nicely compressed. When we tighten it up as hard as we can, the rubber just about meets the roof but with no compression - you can slide you fingers under it.

When we collected is a few weeks ago my wife noticed that the rear near side was sitting higher than the off side and she could get her (small) fingers in under the seal. 5 minutes later it had been adjusted so that it sits tight over the Thule awning brackets. You can just about make it out in this pic (Reimo roof). D35FC3EB-E41B-4994-86B9-80C7352B0D86.jpeg

Have the same issue with our T6 and Dometic PW1100.
The pop top seal sits on top of the Dometic brackets Leaving a small gap at the front passenger side.
Pushing down on the pop top while pulling it down to stowed position reduces the gap.

Its a bit naff really but not had any noise or water issues.

Tomi

Back