Problems Fitting Kombi Sliding Door Step

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by andy greenwood, 4 Nov 2018.

1. andy greenwood

andy greenwood Member VIP Member

Ive put down a new 12mm ply floor on top of 9mm batons & then altro on top.
    I have really struggled though fitting the new kombi step ive purchased.
    I cant seem to fit the step whilst locating all six of the securing screws, i cant get the 3 horizontal ones and the 3 vertical ones all located at the same time.
    Ive eventually managed to fit the step with just the 3 vertical screws fitted, i was thinking of just using a self tapper in the top to secure it?
    Is there a special technique to
    fit these kombi steps? 20181104_153351.jpg 20181104_153351.jpg

2. rod_vw

rod_vw Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    There should be no screws holding the step in place, it's all held in place with original VW push in clips in the step base and maybe some guides in the vertical back (nearest the centre of the van) surface.

Have you purchased the taller step for vehicles with deeper floor covering (does require a different light and adaptor loom)?

3. andy greenwood

Sorry i meant the vw clips,not screws. Yes ive purchased the taller kombi step with light
    I have managed to locate the 3 clips on the base with no problem but i cant manage to locate the 3 clips on the vertical back

4. Neilson

Neilson Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I had the same issue, in the end I had to trim the ply floor back in a couple of places to miss the underside of the step where it rests on the ply floor. Sorry didn't take any pictures but have a look and see of you can see it fowling.

andy greenwood likes this.
  5. andy greenwood

That was my next plan, remove the step and try to see where it is catching. Once you had done a bit of ply trimming did you manage to get all 6 clips fitted ?

6. Neilson

Neilson Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Yes, they all clipped in. I had to trim the floor in the top corners.

andy greenwood likes this.
  7. andy greenwood

Nice one, thanks