Problems Fitting Kombi Sliding Door Step

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've put down a new 12mm ply floor on top of 9mm batons & then altro on top.
I have really struggled though fitting the new kombi step I've purchased.
I cant seem to fit the step whilst locating all six of the securing screws, i cant get the 3 horizontal ones and the 3 vertical ones all located at the same time.
I've eventually managed to fit the step with just the 3 vertical screws fitted, i was thinking of just using a self tapper in the top to secure it?
Is there a special technique to
fit these kombi steps?20181104_153351.jpg 20181104_153351.jpg

There should be no screws holding the step in place, it's all held in place with original VW push in clips in the step base and maybe some guides in the vertical back (nearest the centre of the van) surface.

Have you purchased the taller step for vehicles with deeper floor covering (does require a different light and adaptor loom)?

Sorry i meant the vw clips,not screws. Yes I've purchased the taller kombi step with light
I have managed to locate the 3 clips on the base with no problem but i cant manage to locate the 3 clips on the vertical back

I had the same issue, in the end I had to trim the ply floor back in a couple of places to miss the underside of the step where it rests on the ply floor. Sorry didn't take any pictures but have a look and see of you can see it fowling.

I had the same issue, in the end I had to trim the ply floor back in a couple of places to miss the underside of the step where it rests on the ply floor. Sorry didn't take any pictures but have a look and see of you can see it fowling.

That was my next plan, remove the step and try to see where it is catching. Once you had done a bit of ply trimming did you manage to get all 6 clips fitted ?

Hi,
Does anyone have the link for the taller combi step to hand?
I have quite a thick floor as it has a sliding rail system built into it. I realise that even with the taller step I'm still likely to have do some packing but I'd like to keep that to the minimum.
Thanks.

When I did the last conversion in 2016 the parts were ---

7E5 863 725 DL Step insert with stainless steel footplate
7E5 947 415 L7 Step insert light with 'Highline' text, others available.
7E0 971 067 D Adaptor harness for light (adapts from short light to longer light with inscription.)

That step fits over a floor raised to accommodate Reimo seat rails. Please double check part numbers before ordering as there are colour options etc.
There is only an option of a step that can be fitted either side, they don't make a specific left or right version and you will have to cut off the extensions that fit under the pillar trim if you are converting a more basic vehicle. Its not a problem and hardly noticeable even if you know about it.

Hi,
Does anyone have the link for the taller combi step to hand?
I have quite a thick floor as it has a sliding rail system built into it. I realise that even with the taller step I'm still likely to have do some packing but I'd like to keep that to the minimum.
Thanks.

As per the reply from @rod_vw its probably a California / Caravelle step you’ll want - the Kombi step may still be too shallow for a floor that accommodates a sliding rail.
Rod has noticed this and has provided you the part numbers accordingly.
Before you order - check what the total floor height comes out at, as you may find you’re somewhere in between the Kombi and the Cali step heights.
The alternative is to pack it out underneath the Kombi step in order to raise it..

My step is 95mm from footplate to top edge, the floor is raised about 38mm from standard.

I've put down a new 12mm ply floor on top of 9mm batons & then altro on top.
I have really struggled though fitting the new kombi step I've purchased.
I cant seem to fit the step whilst locating all six of the securing screws, i cant get the 3 horizontal ones and the 3 vertical ones all located at the same time.
I've eventually managed to fit the step with just the 3 vertical screws fitted, i was thinking of just using a self tapper in the top to secure it?
Is there a special technique to
fit these kombi steps?View attachment 31142 View attachment 31142
I’m having exactly the same issues.... no matter what I do I cannot seem to get those rear clips to connect solidly ...particularly the centre one it’s so hard to see what is happening I had to trim some overlapping altro back but I’m pretty sure the plywood is trimmed back enough for the step to fit perfectly. I just want the damn thing to fit solidly so it’s not moving around ... it’s beating me .. and I’ve done so much harder jobs on the van and yet this damn step is just doing my head in ...
anyone have any insight ?
I’m using the black clips at the rear of the step and the white fir tree style clips on the bottom I’m guessing this is correct as the rear holes are slightly smaller and appear to accommodate the black clips size correctly ...

Last edited:
I gave up trying to refit the side step. In the end I put self tappers through the step into the ply then put a stainless steel cover on the step to hide the screws. Fits level with the floor and looks good. The problem is, of course, the ss cover is slippery when wet. Can’t have it all.

Same issue here. Can’t seem to see what’s fouling other than it’s tight up against the door rubber. Same setup as OP.

Back