Private Reg - immediately or once registered?

Ticsmon

VIP Member
With a brand new van imminent I’m in need of some advice on wether to put the private plate straight on the new van at registration or do it after.
The main question is, if I ever sell the van after putting the private reg straight on will I have to buy another plate to keep my own

With a brand new van imminent I’m in need of some advice on wether to put the private plate straight on the new van at registration or do it after.
The main question is, if I ever sell the van after putting the private reg straight on will I have to buy another plate to keep my own
When you take your private plate off and get the retention certificate the DVLA will issue a plate.

Just done exactly this.

First, transfer your private plate off of the current vehicle - you can do it online and it’s usually instant, after you’ve paid the fee (about £80 from memory). DVLA will then put a new number on the existing vehicle, which is normally the reg that was in it before you put your private plate in it.

DVLA will send you a retention certificate as Skiyliner says, usually within a few days. Mine took 2 days to arrive. Then send that certificate to your dealer, who will put the private plate straight onto the new van at first registration, when they register it. Really easy and quick too.

Sorry, missed the second part of the question. You can still transfer the private plate off of the new van later, even if it was the first registered plate - just another £80 that’s all. Only difference is that they will issue a new never before used reg to replace the private plate when you take it off.

As above. You pay once to have the private plate put on retention. The retention certificate is then essentially a voucher to be used to put that plate on any vehicle (age related or newer obviously) whether owned by you or unregistered at a dealer.
Part of the retention process includes assigning a replacement age related plate to the vehicle that you are removing the private plate from. If the vehicle in question previously had a different number plate then that old plate is likely to be reassigned. If it was new then as @Ozi Says, it will be a previously unused but age related plate.

I'll be doing the same thing with the incoming new Tiguan this week. That's If DVLA ever send me the retention certificate.

Even tho' I've just told the internet, I don't really want all the neighbours knowing it's new.

Not sure what you mean by buy another plate? It will cost you £30 for two pieces of plastic or get the dealer to make them up now, I think every vehicle gets allocated at first deg even if immediately transferred, m

If at first registration, a new vehicle has a private plate registered to it, that will be its first registered number. (Exactly what has happened to my new van)

But you can still transfer it off at a later date, for the £80 transfer fee. This process will include DVLA issuing that vehicle with a new registration. So you just need to get a set of plates made up then for the new reg.

If it had been registered to another number before you put the private plate on, that number will usually be allocated back to the vehicle if you apply to transfer the provate plate off again. So if you happen to still have the orginal plates, just put them back on

Hi - I wasn’t 100% sure if it was allocated at outset so good to know.

If at first registration, a new vehicle has a private plate registered to it, that will be its first registered number. (Exactly what has happened to my new van)

But you can still transfer it off at a later date, for the £80 transfer fee. This process will include DVLA issuing that vehicle with a new registration. So you just need to get a set of plates made up then for the new reg.

If it had been registered to another number before you put the private plate on, that number will usually be allocated back to the vehicle if you apply to transfer the provate plate off again. So if you happen to still have the orginal plates, just put them back on

Anyone else waiting for a retention certificate at the moment?

I took a number plate of our old Tig nearly 3 weeks ago. The V5 came back within about 3 days. That car has now gone and the new Tig was collected last Thursday. I got the V5 for that yesterday, but still no retention certificate to enable me to put the 'private' plate on the new car.

Still not got mine, but realised that the certificate number is on the confirmation email, so I put the plate on the new car yesterday.

Afternoon all,

Can Someone assist with how to remove my current private plate, then put on my new private plate?

I get this when I try to remove my current private plate?

image.jpg

Afternoon all,

Can Someone assist with how to remove my current private plate, then put on my new private plate?

I get this when I try to remove my current private plate?

View attachment 173568
First question is do you intend to retain AT64? If you do, then you need to put that number on retention first. All you should need is the reference number of the current V5. If you're like me, you'll keep all old V5s, so check that you are using the correct one.

Having retained AT64, you'll be issued with a new V5 with the previous reg number on it to assign to the van. You won't be able to put T666 on until you receive the new V5, as you'll need the reference number off that as well as the retention certificate number.

If you don't intend to keep AT64, then there is no need to retain it, you can go straight to assigning T666 to the van, but again, you do need to make sure that you are using the reference from the correct V5. AT64 will then go into the DVLA cloud and providing that nobody requests it, it goes to auction and gets bought, it will be resigned to the van should you ever take T666 off.

Cheers @dubber36 ,

I am trying to take the AT64 plate of my van and retain it then assign a private I recent bought from on the forum.

The problem I have is when I try to retain the AT64 plate I get message “Unable to find vehicle”.

I input the AT64 plate with the the V5C document number, postcode on the DVLA site however I get the message as per my first post.

Suppose I will wait to speak with the DVLA on Monday as no matter how many times I go through the above I get nowhere.

If AT64 was not previously paid for … I.e. issued by dvla at point of registration without someone paying for it. I’m not sure you can retain it? Happy to be corrected if this is not the case?

If you put your number plate into the DVLA vehicle check it’s not found. Looks like you’ve been lost in the system somewhere.

Back