Price trends query?

Hi everyone,
I’ve been told that prices for T6s (and vans in general) are really high at the moment...I’m looking to buy, but not in a desperate rush.
Has there been spikes like this before? Do you think it’s worth waiting and prices will settle a little?
I know VW vans hold their value so I’m not expecting a huge drop.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

I've never seen prices as strong as present. The T6.1 has had two price increases since launch, which is keeping residuals higher on the older models, as well as there is a lot of money out there presently.

I've not seen it like this before - there aren't even any new vans in stock with VW, unless you are after something standard!

What are you after?

It’s crazy, surely it can’t last? What worries me is the daily bits halfway down the news sites where company x is making 3000 redundancies, company y is making 9000 redundancies... Sooner or later this is going to reach critical levels and we could be in for a very bleak few years when all this pent up money floating about disappear.

According to VW dealer at the weekend, the new T6.1 is having another price increase at the end of the month, so used values should be bolstered again.

Just a general comment really.

I'm really quite curious as to where the enormous consumer confidence is coming from with van purchasing ??

The £ / Euro has been pretty much stable, yet there has been 2 x 6.1 price increases since launch. Another one is very imminent apparently... so why aren't folks questioning where that cycle might end up?

COVID shows no signs of disappearing anytime soon.

Furlough has been massively reduced and now specific sector / job focused only

BREXIT is a barely more than a couple of months away with an unknown impact on us with all goods from the EU

Consumer 'uncertainty' and negative perceptions of job / income security usually depresses demand. OK, so we've all heard the stories of the Furlough and Government Business Loan schemes being ripped off by individuals but that still doesn't explain the massive national demand

People have lots of spare cash atm I guess? Cancelled holidays, limited opportunities to spend during the lockdown has left a pot of funds available. If I was looking for a van now I'd be holding tight until next year when the true reality of his covid fall out starts to bite. Suspect there will be a glut of cheap vans by then.

Glut of cheap everything in a year or two I think, including a probable house price crash, or at least “correction”. Going to be a lot fewer “haves” and a lot more “have nots” and that will result in political and social unrest. Bad times are coming.

Housing market is going silly too. I agree with @andys that the bubble will burst in 9-12 months!

I also noticed this phenomenon with second hand bikes. I was looking for one for my rapidly growing son earlier in the year and Halfords Carrera’s were selling on ebay for £60ish less than the new price. We sold his old one (Isla Beinn) for £60 more than we paid for it.

Ian

Supply and demand, with loads of demand and very little supply of the 'right' T6.

3x this year people have seriously tried to buy my T6 without it being for sale, and all 3 have said its because its the right spec, which is critical.
As tempting as at least one of the offers were, I just couldn't find a replacement fast enough to not interrupt my business, and the wait for a brand new 6.1 built to my exact spec Is totally unrealistic for me.
I'd normally say that anything is for sale at the right price, but in this instance, I would be selling it for insane money which is great, but then I'd only be in the same position as the buyer was, money in the bank won't get me to my next job sadly.
So until VW have more stock of used or high spec ex demo 6.1s, the T6 is only going to get more desirable and more valuable.

Isn't the danger with waiting for great deals in the New Year that post-no-deal massive tariffs will be slapped on everything?

Have the fleet buyers hoovered up all the available stock with the aid of cheap government covid loans? Sold my T6 soon after lockdown eased after it went up £3k in value in 2 weeks. Turns out I sold it too cheap. Took another 2 months to find another at a reasonable price and nearly the right spec

WTO trade rules apply 22% tariff to vans and trucks and 10% on cars.

Perhaps VW are boosting price so they can absorb the tariff? In my dreams maybe!!

Bought a T6 Edition van two months back on a 69 plate from a dealer. There really wasn’t much about with a decent spec as I wanted led headlights and in Indium Grey , I specked a Highline 6.1 but with the extras it was coming out at silly money. I imagine there’s lack of supply due to Covid shutdowns and more people wishing to do conversations for uk holidays or traveling to Europe. As a side note factory fitted LED headlights are something else after first having H4s and then aftermarket H7s.

To be honest I thought buying a VW T6 about 3 years ago would bring me endless hassle free motoring

Sadly not and the service staff know me by name ......

My neighbour who has a discovery about the same age has had about as many issues with his

Would I buy another - probably not

Back