Prepping interior before sound deadening

Vwejit

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Is it safe/appropriate/effective to use methylated spirits to clean down panels before sticking on the sound deadening?

Is it safe/appropriate/effective to use methylated spirits to clean down panels before sticking on the sound deadening?
Not sure about methylated spirits, but I know you can buy a Panel Wipe/Cleaner for exactly that job. :thumbsup:

Not sure about methylated spirits, but I know you can buy a Panel Wipe/Cleaner for exactly that job. :thumbsup:

Just being lazy (and tight!) I have meths on my shelf in the garage, and I thought it might do the job…..

Just being lazy (and tight!) I have meths on my shelf in the garage, and I thought it might do the job…..
Yeah I don’t blame you, but I’m no expert on chemicals so couldn’t say for sure?

Meth’s is obviousy flammable and is going to produce fumes, just leave the doors open, avoid naked flames and don’t leave the rags in the van.

Try it on a hidden panel first, it may soften the paint. We use white spirit initially, key all surfaces and then window fitting 'alcohol' type cleaner finally before applying adhesive.
Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm doing mine at the minute and just wipe all the dust away with a damp cloth, spray with Panel Wipe (£16 for 5 litres from my local Paint Shop) and wipe away with a clean microfibre then heat the Dodo Mat with a heat gun. It's worked perfect so far

Try it on a hidden panel first, it may soften the paint. We use white spirit initially, key all surfaces and then window fitting 'alcohol' type cleaner finally before applying adhesive.
Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hi, sorry I thought you meant carpet lining. For sound deadening, same process but no key of the surface needed. as @MattPoss :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back