PPF And Ceramic Coating: a thread

Karlos

T6 Pro
Hi there

The internet is full of ‘experts’ and opinions on what to do and what not to do which is exactly where you can find yourself when researching detailing and PPF.

I wanted to give you guys an update on my van and the stages i am having it put through in an attempt to add sufficient protection for what will be a high mileage workhorse.

I hope you find it useful. I will update as the stages progress.

PPF template for the front and most vulnerable areas of my van. Please note, I opted against protection on the wings due to the lack of flare and exposure. I have exchanged this for the headlights - we all know how bad ‘rashed’ headlights look after a lot of miles...

PPF template below to include the gloss blacks on sportline lower valance, headlights and wing mirrors:

05A9CAC8-7D59-4D4D-8F3B-B7A22744D479.jpeg

First stage - ‘Decontamination’

A nice video update from AWC Detailing highlighting just how bad these come out of the main dealers. (This is a 10 day old van!)

I can’t upload the video but here are some snapshots for now

Pics are

1.Van decontaminated and air dried
2. Before stage 1 polish
3. Progress using only a finishing compound

0CDC0765-5859-4C7A-A4D4-BB2CFF7BB287.jpeg

14476733-E0A7-4A31-9179-67C2798FA95B.jpeg

14700B53-6F34-4CCF-83AA-008BBD33CB39.jpeg

A nice video update from AWC Detailing highlighting just how bad these come out of the main dealers. (This is a 10 day old van!)

Exactly why I request the dealers give my new vehicles exactly how they came from the factory. My Black T6 was perfect, simply because I asked them not to prep the exterior.

I collect my wife's new Mini tomorrow morning, and apparently it's been quite the 'Star' at Sytner Leicester, because it's the first time many of them have had a vehicle through the workshop, and placed in the handover area, still wrapped in the factory protection, including all the sponge protection, barcodes, clear vinyl and anything else stuck on to protect it during transit and storage. This might seem daft when you buy a new vehicle, but this is the only way I can guarantee my vehicles don't have the kind of work your detailer is doing, just to get it good enough to protect.
Everything else is done by myself, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Exactly why I request the dealers give my new vehicles exactly how they came from the factory. My Black T6 was perfect, simply because I asked them not to prep the exterior.

I collect my wife's new Mini tomorrow morning, and apparently it's been quite the 'Star' at Sytner Leicester, because it's the first time many of them have had a vehicle through the workshop, and placed in the handover area, still wrapped in the factory protection, including all the sponge protection, barcodes, clear vinyl and anything else stuck on to protect it during transit and storage. This might seem daft when you buy a new vehicle, but this is the only way I can guarantee my vehicles don't have the kind of work your detailer is doing, just to get it good enough to protect.
Could not agree more! Unfortuntely, I asked for this to happen, but when I collected the van I could see the swirl marks all over the body, there was mud on the inside edge of the wing mirror (between door) and bird crap all on the roof!!

I should have caused a scene, but I knew I had this planned so just accepted it.

Picked up me (Wifeys) new Merc on midnight handover party august 31/September 01 this year. Metallic black. By 10 am next day, I'd already emailed and phoned the main dealer. I'll tell the full story sometime, but they had the car back for a full 9 days, then we had a repeat of the 'new unveiling ceremony' upon re-collection. Got it home, took it back. They had it another day. Seems ok now. It was worse than a 'Polish Prep Clean'. I'm still pretty new to the 'cleaning, waxing, detailing' game. But I know I can put the main dealers to shame without breaking a sweat. Nice car mind...

A0025AB6-23F0-44BF-B2AE-0374FE8CFC4B.jpeg Slightly off topic,
But i had the same scenario with my sons new car , dealer enflicted scratches and swirl marks (cost a few nicker to correct before ceramic)

Last week he collected another new motor
Done the same as @Tourershine
Collected with all protection on , drove it straight to the detailer to have coated.
You guessed it ,
No machine polishing needed . At least £500 saved

Did have to get a dent man out to fix the two creases on back quarters though :laugh:

Back