Powered Or Mechanical Groupset?

T6180

T6 Legend
As some of you will know I've signed up for my first 100 mile sportive. I'm currently training on a used Felt AR5 54inch 105 groupset which I'm finding no matter what I try to adjust I just cant seem to feel comfortable on it.
So the thought of spending 5-6hrs on an uncomfortable bike has led me to decide I need to get a bike that suits me and to get this setup by someone that knows what their doing.

So the question is this, do I purchase a new bike (currently looking at a Trek Madone SL6 H2) with Shimano Ultregra Groupset or do I look on ebay and pick up a used bike with either DI2, ETAP, EPS fitted and the get either bike setup for afterwards?

The ebay option concerns me a little in case of frame damage or groupset wear and tear as both can be expensive to fix

Whether you keep your existing bike, or buy a new one, a proper fitting is essential. I'd start with that first and see how you get on with the Felt. When you do come to buy a new bike, you'll have all your measurements to get that one set up on that one.

As @dubber36 says, definetley get the bike fit first, what if you buy a bike and then realise when you have a fit that you needed the size smaller or larger frame?

id get my bike fit done on your current bike and then decide what bike you want from there.

i can highly recommend this guy ( ex tour de france rider) he doesnt just look at the obvious things as well, he will look at your shoes,cleats etc.
i found out from him i have one leg longer than the other ( no wonder i couldn't get comfy :laugh: ) He fitted some cleat shims and voila - Comfy.

He's only an hour away from coventry.

Cadence Sport : Bike fitting and custom sport footbeds by Adrian Timmis former Tour de France rider

As @dubber36 says, definetley get the bike fit first, what if you buy a bike and then realise when you have a fit that you needed the size smaller or larger frame?

id get my bike fit done on your current bike and then decide what bike you want from there.

i can highly recommend this guy ( ex tour de france rider) he doesnt just look at the obvious things as well, he will look at your shoes,cleats etc.
i found out from him i have one leg longer than the other ( no wonder i couldn't get comfy :laugh: ) He fitted some cleat shims and voila - Comfy.

He's only an hour away from coventry.

Cadence Sport : Bike fitting and custom sport footbeds by Adrian Timmis former Tour de France rider

I had a fitting a few months ago with Adrian. He's a top bloke, knows his stuff. :thumbsup:

Also, as you are from Coventry, this is the fella I bought my Venge from. Top bloke and only sells the best condition bikes.

Bikes

Bike Fit first for sure.
This year I had a re-fit on my Giant Propel, rolled the bars, changed the stem, moved a cleat and it totally cured the 45 - 50 mile neck ache that I was getting.
I rode Pru Ride London 100 with a mate in July and the bike was the most comfortable its ever been. No change since, its just comfortable all the time now. :)]

Di2 every time for me, encourages gear changing is the only way I can put it. Top.

Make sure you have a big enough gear on the cassette... :thumbsup:

Best Regards
George

I had a fit early this year after breaking my hip last winter. Seat moved 5mm down and forwards, cleats moved 2mm back. What a massive difference. I was always shifting about in the saddle. On the 30miles ride home, I never budged once.

Back