Possibly lowering with standard Devonport wheels 17 inch

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi probably a stupid question but I’m having stx coil over fitted soon, basically looking for a smoother ride, and I was going to stick with the Devonport wheels ..( I don’t mind how they look ) am I just lining myself to end up buying bigger wheels to fit the arches ? Should I have it lowered ? Will lowering to some degree happen anyway having new suspension fitted ? In which case making the Devonport wheels appear too small . And finally if I get some new wheels in the future can I have it lowered at a later date
Sorry totally new to this ..

Hi probably a stupid question but I’m having stx coil over fitted soon, basically looking for a smoother ride, and I was going to stick with the Devonport wheels ..( I don’t mind how they look ) am I just lining myself to end up buying bigger wheels to fit the arches ? Should I have it lowered ? Will lowering to some degree happen anyway having new suspension fitted ? In which case making the Devonport wheels appear too small . And finally if I get some new wheels in the future can I have it lowered at a later date
Given you’re in Southampton, I’d suggest you have a chat with @ChrisR from the Van Cave. I’m not convinced that stx are what you need but he could advise better, particularly as you might make wheel changes etc afterwards

I've got Devonports on with B14's and IMO it looks great but the spacers help, no need for bigger wheels (I've also ran 18's and 19's on it previously). Plenty on info can be found using the search button.

This is my van, lowered approximately 60mm and fitted with standard Devonports. 20mm spacers front and back. I’d agree with @T6Paul that there’s no need to go for bigger wheels, unless you want to. I do have a set of 18” sportlines for summer but I haven’t had them fitted with the new suspension yet.
873BDA2D-1692-4584-B417-5F255835501A.jpeg

The ST-X are a great coilover and you won't be disappointed. They will lower and we tend to keep the wheel sitting equal gap around the wheel arch. Who is fitting your ST-X? They should be able to advise. We are STx dealers but nearly 2 hrs from you so I would suggest @BognorMotors being closer to you. Cheers

It seems that perhaps you're not 100% sure about what you want to achieve with the new setup. I sell ST X and they are wonderful at a lot of things, but, if you want to retain the standard ride height and just improve the ride, they aren't what you want. They will lower the van a minimum of 30-35mm. That is unavoidable, but not a problem if that's what you want. They will go down to about 65mm at max lowering and still improve the ride over the standard suspension.

To get the best possible ride quality from standard ride height you need to look at other options, but perhaps that isn't what you're after.

If you want to be able to adjust the ride height later on down the line, the easiest way to achieve this is with coil overs, so ST X could be right for you. This way, you can have them set at any amount of lowering you want between 30/35 and 65mm, keep the standard wheels for a while, maybe change the wheels in the future and adjust the ride height again. It is a very versatile way of improving the ride and lowering the vehicle.

You are already booked in elsewhere and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so stick with the ST X and they'll give you the ride you want and also be flexible should you wish to play around with things in the future. It's a lot of money to spend though, so you need to make sure that you are getting exactly what is right for you before you commit. Also, ensure you get a wheel alignment done afterwards to avoid uneven tyre wear etc.

I'm not trying to sell you anything, or steal a booking, you're booked in for a great suspension setup, I'm just trying to make sure what you've booked in for is what you want. It's hard to make that comment seem genuine as I'm a trader, but that's how it is.

The ST-X are a great coilover and you won't be disappointed. They will lower and we tend to keep the wheel sitting equal gap around the wheel arch. Who is fitting your ST-X? They should be able to advise. We are STx dealers but nearly 2 hrs from you so I would suggest @BognorMotors being closer to you. Cheers
Yes it’s bognor motors

Hi @osman, I was in exactly the same situation as yourself. I had 17’s and just wanted to improve the ride. After much research I decided to go with STX as I was unsure about how low I wanted to go and I wanted to have the option to adjust in the future.

I am currently about 50mm down and the ride is greatly improved over standard. I have changed my 17’s for 18’s with winter tyres and in my opinion it looks great.

However, reading the many posts on the forum I have now decided to go for 19’s as I think aesthetically they will look even better. I am also going to try the STX fully down as I confident the ride will still be great.

I've got Devonports on with B14's and IMO it looks great but the spacers help, no need for bigger wheels (I've also ran 18's and 19's on it previously). Plenty on info can be found using the search button.
Ok so spacers ... im Guessing I can have these fitted at the same time .. any ideas of cost ?

I think the test drive and a good chat when you are on-site, will confirm the suspension will work for your needs, and I 100% guarantee it will ride and look better than your standard setup. You have the option to alter the hight at a later stage as well, which is handy dependant on what your requirements are down the line with other wheels. Lowering on the 17s is fine, with the option to upgrade at a later stage - The 17 actually looks good with a set of spacers and the wheels fill the arches well, and a lot cheaper than a wheel upgrade.

Happy to discuss further on the phone

PS Just seen you have posted about spacers while I wrote this

Last edited:
When I enquired about spacers earlier this year they were £160+VAT for both sets and you need a set of extended lockers which come in at about £30+VAT

I think the test drive and a good chat when you are on-site, will confirm the suspension will work for your needs, and I 100% guarantee it will ride and look better than you standard setup. You have the option to alter the hight at a later stage as well, which is handy dependent but dependant what your requirements are down the line with other wheels. Lowering on the 17s is fine, with the option to upgrade at a later stage - The 17 actually looks good with a set of spacers and the wheels fill the arches well, and a lot cheaper than a wheel upgrade.

Happy to discuss further on the phone

PS Just seen you have posted about spacers while I write this
Ok so perhaps we can have spacers fitted at the same time ?

Ok so spacers ... im Guessing I can have these fitted at the same time .. any ideas of cost ?
There is lots of discussion on here already about spacers, I'm running 15mm Watfield spacers on the front and 25mm H&R spacers on the rear. IMO these work perfectly, you could go wider or equal all-round but the extra 10mm on the rear just looks right, I'm sure Oli will be able to supply and advise in more detail.

There is lots of discussion on here already about spacers, I'm running 15mm Watford spacers on the front and 25mm H&R spacers on the rear. IMO these work perfectly, you could go wider or equal all-round but the extra 10mm on the rear just looks right, I'm sure Oli will be able to supply and advise in more detail.
Yes I see what you are saying the rear wheels need to come out further .. after looking at my wheels I’m thinking I could just have spacers on the rear wheels .. but I guess after lowering it will be more obvious I need them on the front as well

Back