Portable shower

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
So it’s looking like campsites may open, but initially with no access to shower and toilet facilities.
We have a portable toilet, so that angle is covered, but I can’t see the wife doing more than a few days without a shower.

i can see portable gas showers on Amazon for less than £200, and I can sort out a water and gas supply, so does anyone have any experience of these, or any recommendations ?

This is the sort of thing I mean:

Camplux AY132 Tankless Propane Gas Water Heater White 5L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CJPU6JI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xXVVEb9EGBEJN

Thanks,

Pete

A really simple alternative might be a Hozelok Portashower which you can fill with water of required temperature and use outside or in a toilet/utility tent or awning (with suitable water catching receptacle if necessary). Approx 7l, easy to use, just pump up to pressurise.
It can be used as an additional water container.
Cheap and simple! Also useful around the garden!portashower.jpgportashower.jpg

I had considered that, but I still need a way of heating sufficient hot water to fill it - we don’t have that capability in our van.

Pete

Anyone got any experience of 12v water heaters. I know it’s going to be a slow heating process, but we would have all day :)

Pete

We use one like this. If its warm fill and leave in the sun to warm the water or boil the kettle and top up. Very good for a quick wash and packs down small.

We had exactly the same thoughts no facilititys so got one of these and tried it in our shower at home I can get away with using 10 water in a collapsible bucket and it worked fine sites might even let you have hot water to take back to use at your van hopefully it will be only this year then back to the new normal117A299D-5239-4202-8726-17361518D07D-large.jpg

I had considered that, but I still need a way of heating sufficient hot water to fill it - we don’t have that capability in our van.

Pete
One or two kettlefuls of hot water then top up the PortaShower with cold seems to work ok for a short shower. Also something like the Sea to Summit Pocket Shower which "holds 10L for a 7 minute shower" works ok but relies on the sun/heat of the day warming the water in the storage bag, and then gravity for the pressure. I have seen these work in conjunction with a pop up toilet tent.

One or two kettlefuls of hot water then top up the PortaShower with cold seems to work ok for a short shower. Also something like the Sea to Summit Pocket Shower which "holds 10L for a 7 minute shower" works ok but relies on the sun/heat of the day warming the water in the storage bag, and then gravity for the pressure. I have seen these work in conjunction with a pop up toilet tent.
I"ve got to be honest we have gone for the cheap options £16 shower and £23 toilet tent hoping the inconvenience will only be for the rest of this year then it never gets used again

I'm sorry but being an old softy the thought of a rusty bullet hole and the faint whiff of salt and vinegar means I'm going to wait until the bogs are fully online, lights, heating and piped local radio...:whistle:

We use the Hozelock shower either outside using a shower/toilet tent or inside using a hula hoop from Decathlon that comes apart, shower curtains and a ‘really useful’ box as a shower tray. One kettle of hot water or water from the solar shower. Works fine. Both my wife and I can wash hair and shower from one fill of water but not together Also great for rinsing off after you’ve been in the sea.

We use the Hozelock shower either outside using a shower/toilet tent or inside using a hula hoop from Decathlon that comes apart, shower curtains and a ‘really useful’ box as a shower tray. One kettle of hot water or water from the solar shower. Works fine. Both my wife and I can wash hair and shower from one fill of water but not together Also great for rinsing off after you’ve been in the sea.
Those Really Useful Boxes really are really useful......shower trays, underneath a Porta Potti 365 to raise it to a "comfortable height" with storage for associated washing stuff when out in the toilet tent etc, hop ups, seats, and of course storage.:)

We have a hozelock portashower and its great, one kettle of boiling water, top up with cold and its just right.
Its also useful for rinsing off bikes and dogs :)
Last year we were without a boiler for a few days and it was a lifesaver!

Another one for the Hozelock Porta shower, ideal for washing the dog when I've been out walking

We had exactly the same thoughts no facilititys so got one of these and tried it in our shower at home I can get away with using 10 water in a collapsible bucket and it worked fine sites might even let you have hot water to take back to use at your van hopefully it will be only this year then back to the new normalView attachment 69930
I’ve had a couple of different cheap portable 12v showers, both failed after less than 30 showers due to seal failure and water ingress. My current shower just uses the head from a failed unit with a decent IP66 switch and a small Whale pump, this has been 100% reliable and cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Looks like some good cheap ideas. I have ordered a few bits to see how well a 12v immersion heater works, and will share the results.

Pete

Look forward to it - I suspect a lot of us will be looking at this stuff over the next month or so!

Back