Poptop and high winds?!

Eli

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just thought before I part with lots of money, does anyone know what the limits of a pop top are in terms of wind speed limits

Not sure if you mean on the road or when camping.

Assuming you mean on the road, I have cruised many a mile at 130kmh on the continent with my Reimo roof without issues.

Assuming you mean when camping; a lot will depend on the roof - we have had our SCA up in some pretty serious winds, i.e. gusting 25+ MPH, without issue. I'm not happy having the roof up in such conditions but with 3 of us sleeping there is not much choice - much more wind than this I would pull the roof down. So far, with 100+ nights camping in the van, we have not had to close the roof during a camp due to wind. As a general rule, we always try to pitch such that the lowest side of the roof points into wind.

Had ours up in some very strong winds, gusting 45 mph. Tail to wind it has to be. It's not good as the whole van moves around quite a lot making it difficult to sleep. We have had to take roof down on occasions in stronger winds when we were worried about damage as the roof was partially collapsing in gusts.

Ditto regarding low point of roof into wind and only usually bring it down as it can be noisy/flappy in high winds rather than worrying about it being damaged. Ours is a Reimo roof.

Did have to drop the roof when at 2600m up in the Alps last March as snow was blowing in through the vent mesh and landing on my face!

Afternoon all, as I mentioned in my last thread I’m currently in st ives camping. Tonight we have an epic storm inbound however I use my poptop for my kids to sleep in.

What normally would the poptop stand in terms of wind?? I’m worried as it’s our first ever storm camping and I know we have a few vets on here who have braved some fair weather :) any help appreciated

Good one that.....

What is the max windspeed stuported for each poptop type?

Not sure I'd risk it if the forecast is that bad? Might be safer with two trying to sleep sat up on the front seats.

Make sure everything to pegged down well and keep an eye on your neighbours, give them a nudge if they've left table, chairs, etc outside. Good luck

Does anyone actually know the rating for these pop tops?

Or is there not one?

Park up with the rear into the wind, I’ve never heard of a wind rating on a roof. Pretty sure your kids will let you know it’s time to put it down.
How about one of the gadget freaks on the Forum recommending an anenometer?

Park up with the rear into the wind, I’ve never heard of a wind rating on a roof. Pretty sure your kids will let you know it’s time to put it down.
How about one of the gadget freaks on the Forum recommending an anenometer?
Seconded. Van facing NE so normal pop top roof facing the wind, presumably from SW.

The issue I have is the wind will change direction through the night so I’m scuppered lol
Best guess then. Better to be 3/4 on than not.

We borrowed a Westy T3 through an Easter storm, pointed it the right way but the cotton canvas rubbed a hole, against the struts I think.

Best guess then. Better to be 3/4 on than not.

We borrowed a Westy T3 through an Easter storm, pointed it the right way but the cotton canvas rubbed a hole, against the struts I think.
I’ve moved it to hopefully weather the storm lol

Reactions: CAB
Back