Pop Top not closing

Mannix10

Can anyone help please?? My T6 pop top isn’t closing properly leaving a gap on the final 30cm or so towards the front of the van. I’ve tried many strap configurations but it’s just not closing?? Suggestions what the issue maybe or help to resolve would be appreciated. Thanks FEAAD860-7871-4A7B-AFFB-2B357C95F60C.jpeg

4C724CCC-BD04-4901-94A0-4BAB66F69038.jpeg

1A39BAD2-0247-46C2-A2FD-A3AD31C5422E.jpeg

1BAE4A36-74B0-4035-A8B2-13AE6DC03AE0.jpeg

A6870CA7-A81B-4DAD-A251-D6285AC33502.jpeg

The strap around the handle doesn't look right. My Austop strap is fixed to the roof then passes down through the fixed loop on the roof and back through the buckle.

Make sure you pull the strap down below the loop as you tighten it to remove any slack as it can sometimes bind up giving the impression it has closed.

Check that the canvas isn't fouling anywhere, then look towards the hinge area see if anything is caught in it or jammed.

The strap around the handle doesn't look right. My Austop strap is fixed to the roof then passes down through the fixed loop on the roof and back through the buckle.

Make sure you pull the strap down below the loop as you tighten it to remove any slack as it can sometimes bind up giving the impression it has closed.
Yep, strap should not be going through that handle - it should just go through the buckle. And also looks like the canvas is trapped.

The buckle is twisted it should be in front facing you not from the back and twisted like you have it take it off and re thread it

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and apologise for not getting back to you, I didn’t receive any notification of response for some reason. Some great tips and advice. I’ve since removed mattress topper and tightened down through the fixed buckle only, still a very small gap that’s a acceptable but think I’ll change the straps to come from the front of the pop top like @Leeabr101 rather than the side as this should further ease the canvas folding. Thanks again all

The straps should be on the front of the pop top and come down through ones on the cab headlining
Depends on make @Mannix10 . Mine is an SCA and are fitted at the sides, but it closes fine. I haven’t seen any so far which are at the front, but granted, I haven’t seen every make, so some may differ.

I wouldn't suggest the straps are changed location from where the manufacturer/installer has installed them though - each design is slightly different and theyll be where they currently are for a reason and the pop top will likely be reinforced in some way at the current fixing points.

Thanks @Ozi it had crossed my mind regarding the reinforcements. I’ll continue to have a play around with folding the canvas for now until I get that proper seal, if not maybe the pop top rubbers are starting to degrade. Good advice tho. Thanks

This happens to me but only on the right side (if you’re looking at the van from the front) I re roll the canvas and shift the mattress topper more forward and it gets better. Half the time I leave a gap as it’s very small and so far have had no leaks when it rains

Thanks @Pedros85 ill give that whirl…trial and error is the only way, we hinge have definitely improved from all the good advice on this post anyway so I’m getting there…

Back