Pop top gap

bgrunes

VIP Member
Always had a gap in the middle of the pop top roof since getting the van last year. Decided to give the roof a good clean and took the rubber seal off. Closed the roof to see what the gap was like with the rubber seal off. As you can see definitely not cut to roof profile. Nothing is trapped, hinges smooth and struts good.

Thoughts on cutting roof to profile especially the rear part?

IMG_6293.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Always had a gap in the middle of the pop top roof since getting the van last year. Decided to give the roof a good clean and took the rubber seal off. Closed the roof to see what the gap was like with the rubber seal off. As you can see definitely not cut to roof profile. Nothing is trapped, hinges smooth and struts good.

View attachment 224547

View attachment 224548
Discuss the problem with the the converter folk & ask what they can do about it?
It shouldn't be your issue to put right, if it was like than when getting / collecting the van last year.

Is this actually causing a problem - leaking water, wind noise, heat escaping, etc. - or is it purely an aesthetic problem for you?

Hi thanks for the responses. It’s a pop top roofs reverse top (rear kitchen) who are now known as Streamline roofs. Fitted by I believe Coast to Coast conversations back in 2019.

No leaks or wind noise even though you can see a gap between the rubber and roof. Other side not as bad but the seal has to cope with going over the Fiamma Awning brackets on that side and it’s hidden from view.

Just like things to be right since getting been working round the van fettling.

Reactions: CAB

View attachment 224547

View attachment 224548
Failing getting the suppliers to sort this. I would scribe the shape of your van roof onto to the pop top making sure your mark is how much the gap needs closed by.
Then would open the roof and carefully trim it with a battery angle grinder with a thin cutting blade. Then sand edge smooth before sealing the rubber back on.
Depends on how handy you are. I’m a tradesman so would do it myself but you might want to ask someone else if your not up to it.

Hi, Thanks pretty handy at this sort of stuff so not a difficult one for me to scribe,cut and fit. I've tried moving the seal down but the gap is to great that the seal is close to the roof edge and only just holds onto the lip. Chances are when elevated it would come away. Thanks :thumbsup:

I would suggest do it yourself. You will probably take more care.

I had a PopTops fitted at their factory, I wouldn’t take my van back there if I could avoid it.

Hi, Thanks pretty handy at this sort of stuff so not a difficult one for me to scribe,cut and fit. I've tried moving the seal down but the gap is to great that the seal is close to the roof edge and only just holds onto the lip. Chances are when elevated it would come away. Thanks :thumbsup:
Not that I've ever scribed a roof myself but like yourself would be more than capable the questions I would be asking myself are if the hinge only goes down so far cutting some off the rear will the roof pivot on the hinge and create a gap at the front thus creating another problem assuming your roof is rear elevating or maybe do a bit of research and see if there is a rubber seal that has a longer bit that pushes on to the roof giving it the chance to be pulled down in that section and not fall off then you wouldn't need to scribe it
perhaps one of the conversion companies on here could advise

Not that I've ever scribed a roof myself but like yourself would be more than capable the questions I would be asking myself are if the hinge only goes down so far cutting some off the rear will the roof pivot on the hinge and create a gap at the front thus creating another problem assuming your roof is rear elevating or maybe do a bit of research and see if there is a rubber seal that has a longer bit that pushes on to the roof giving it the chance to be pulled down in that section and not fall off then you wouldn't need to scribe it
perhaps one of the conversion companies on here could advise
Good point.
It may be possible to scribe only half the gap size and get a compromise between the amount of roof drop and the amount of grip the rubber seal gets in the (still slightly higher) centre section.

If you’re going to the hassle of trimming the roof. I would be trimming it so it fits perfectly then do any adjustments to the hinges etc. If required.

I’ve had a bit of a play with the hinges and the impact of the pivoting action on reducing the rear. All seems doable, I’ve popped the seal back on and left as is till my next free day. This also stops me rushing in and cutting the roof, no urgency on this so allows me to consider any other options.

Thanks to all as always

Back