ply lining with rear heater option

Woodman

I like playing with my wood!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I apologise if anyone has already asked, but I cannot find any examples of what I'd like to see. I am currently converting my lwb kombi to a sportline equivalent and am fitting faux suede panels. Unfortunately the van I ended up buying wasn't the one I ordered. This van has a rear heater which is buggering up my plans. I appreciate I could remove it, however I do like the idea of it as additional heating when it becomes a full camper. Has anyone removed the god awful plastic panel that incorporates the heater and duct? I was thinking about removing the extension part which makes it lwb, and trimming whats left in the suede, with the forward removed area ply lined. I'm hoping somewhere in the remaining horrible plastic trim to secret away my 12 way 12v distribution box.
If anyone has done some novel re-trimming but keeping the heater, I would love to see the results.
Finally, has anyone got a converted van that does retain the factory rear heater, does it encroach on the rear cupboard much?
Thanks in advance Woodman

Woodman,

Here is a picture of a SWB with the panel off so you can see what to work around. Attached to the back of the plastic panel is some ducting to the forward vent which you could make up something to fit with your panelling.

Ian

6C0F43AB-8118-4393-8B18-02C11FD1878E.jpegCC486B85-C83B-42C5-91CB-2F536483977E.jpeg

Thanks Ian, I have had the panel off (I see some of your clips stayed behind too!) I am thinking of making a grp plug to mould a new cover onto a ply panel to minimise the impact of the plastic, therefore releasing the wheelarch again to be carpeted up to the heater. (Lol I was writing this as you replied)

Being a carpenter you dont think get the normal ply panel, cut it around the heater, then bespoke build a ply box with appropriate vents and carpet cover it. It could be made detachable with discreet screws?

I think it could look quite neat all carpet covered. Its a consideration for us too.

I have the ply panel here already covered for the non heater van! I will keep you posted on what I eventually do just in case its of interest. Cheers Gary

Being a carpenter you dont think get the normal ply panel, cut it around the heater, then bespoke build a ply box with appropriate vents and carpet cover it. It could be made detachable with discreet screws?

I think it could look quite neat all carpet covered. Its a consideration for us too.
Made a start please dont judge it yet as its very early stage but have a plan comming togesther It will be more ergonomic when I finalise the shape.IMG_3243.JPG

The heater is only useful when the engine is hot, so no good for camping. I would remove it and get a night heater instead, if it were me
How Many people go camping and get damp clothes, my thoughts are if its in the cupboard anyway I can use it as an airer for damp towels :)

IMG_3248[1].JPG

temporary electrical system installed today and all 12v systems worked first time. In the box is the 240v charger, 12 way 12v fuse box, 12 v distribution, local isolator. On the front is the switch that isolates the usb sockets next to it and the one on the n/s b pillar. 240 sockets ready to go off the inverter, just need to put the plug on the hook up. Battery monitor didn't work but I had forgotten to put lead on battery +
IMG_3267.JPG

Box was made by moulding a strip of 95 x 6mm upvc around the ply that became the base with all the electrical items mounted to it. I then cut another piece of ply 10mm larger all round and attached it to the pvc with my hot glue gun. Turned it upside down, more glue gun. 2 layers of grp to strengthen it. Does the job. Just waiting for 4 vents to turn up so if using the charger there is air allowed to flow through,
IMG_3274.JPG

This lot will be shifted when I eventually get it converted. The cover for the door motor is on order. I am just so glad that it no longer has the god awful full length plastic panel in the back.

I apologise if anyone has already asked, but I cannot find any examples of what I'd like to see. I am currently converting my lwb kombi to a sportline equivalent and am fitting faux suede panels. Unfortunately the van I ended up buying wasn't the one I ordered. This van has a rear heater which is buggering up my plans. I appreciate I could remove it, however I do like the idea of it as additional heating when it becomes a full camper. Has anyone removed the god awful plastic panel that incorporates the heater and duct? I was thinking about removing the extension part which makes it lwb, and trimming whats left in the suede, with the forward removed area ply lined. I'm hoping somewhere in the remaining horrible plastic trim to secret away my 12 way 12v distribution box.
If anyone has done some novel re-trimming but keeping the heater, I would love to see the results.
Finally, has anyone got a converted van that does retain the factory rear heater, does it encroach on the rear cupboard much?
Thanks in advance Woodman
I’m a bit late to the game here, but would have suggested getting the plastic trim-panel flocked in a colour to match your carpet.
Good job on the box though.

I’m a bit late to the game here, but would have suggested getting the plastic trim-panel flocked in a colour to match your carpet.
Good job on the box though.
I hadn't thought of covering it for the simple reason it took up so much bloody volume in the van. Once removed you could rarely get the clips to line up and most of them break, Best place for that cheap nasty piece of pooh is in the skip :)

Back