Ply lining kit or keep Kombi panels?

Kedlestone

Hi all,

So having now taken delivery of my SWB T6 Kombi, I’ve started the ordering process for my camper conversion.

The van currently has factory ply panels in the back but I’m guessing if I carpet over these it will just show all the fixings. So with that said would I be better ordering a ply lining kit from custom shop designs? I see on the site that it gives fixing options of standard vw clips or suitable for hidden clips. Which of the two would suit what I’m after?

Pic of my current panels attached.

Thanks16475830-38FE-4F79-8E30-CACD103F870F.jpeg

I personally think you're better with ply lining
You might not think so now, but at some point you'll probably want to screw something into them, like storage nets, table, etc
Plus, if the hardboard ever gets wet it will lose its strength and if you've carpeted over them it's a pain to fix
For what the plywood costs its peanuts compared to most other parts of the conversion so not worth cutting corners in my opinion

I noticed you're in Derbyshire, I got mine near to you, not far from Langley Mill (Notts) they also supplied me a one piece floor which are quite hard to get as most companies only do 2 piece due to the size
Definitely recommend
Details on here;

Thanks for that. Yeah I think ply lining is what I’m after, just wanted to make sure before buying anything. Did you get you lining for your walls locally? Was it pre-cut? I’m using a company in Notts (Dub-Line) to fit my roof.

Thanks for that. Yeah I think ply lining is what I’m after, just wanted to make sure before buying anything. Did you get you lining for your walls locally? Was it pre-cut? I’m using a company in Notts (Dub-Line) to fit my roof.
I got walls & floor from same place, they was cheaper than I could get them online and cut them for me straight away as another place let me down with an order
So i phoned them & they was ready to collect 3hrs later.....spot on

I got walls & floor from same place, they was cheaper than I could get them online and cut them for me straight away as another place let me down with an order
So i phoned them & they was ready to collect 3hrs later.....spot on
Why dont you just put a link into the place you got them from?

Thanks! Looks to be £96 inc vat, doesn’t say fitted or not though. If it’s not fitted it’s close to custom shop designs price of £100 delivered. I’d prefer to fit it myself anyway given the nature of the project.

No, its definitely not fitted, they only supply

Good thing with them is that the do the one piece floor, which the other company probably won't do as it's too big to deliver, so if you're ok to collect you can get one of those
Also, with the rear quarter panels, I asked them to drill out air holes like the oem panels have for the slam vents. Most companies supply them without these so there's nowhere for the air to escape if you have a tailgate

custom shop design panels are good floor s and ceilings fit great and are cut well but check for the back section the front quarter and sliding door uppers are not full size you will need brackets fitted to fix them and rear barn door uppers have no fixings either T HQ i think do full size but not sure
but there's ways round this

custom shop design panels are good floor s and ceilings fit great and are cut well but check for the back section the front quarter and sliding door uppers are not full size you will need brackets fitted to fix them and rear barn door uppers have no fixings either T HQ i think do full size but not sure
but there's ways round this
The panels I got from them wouldn't fit. The holes were slightly out. The roof panel was really poor quality ply and delaminated within a day or 2 of fitting, luckily before I had carpeted it.

Thanks for the helps chaps. I have a floor on order with CSD, so will see what the quality and fitment is like and make a decision regarding the wall panels after.

Last edited:
I also had problems with CSD. The first set of panels were way out so I got them to send another set with no holes drilled. I then used the OEM panels as a template for the holes. It was much more work and hassle than it should have been.

I was actually worried about the holes in terms of the flush finish if using the hidden fit clips. In my head I would just screw the lining to the metalwork. Then carpet over.

I had no problem using hidden clips once the holes were correct. I definitely would not screw the panels to the metalwork.

I was actually worried about the holes in terms of the flush finish if using the hidden fit clips. In my head I would just screw the lining to the metalwork. Then carpet over.

there's a lot on Carpet lining on U tube its not a hard job just fiddly in parts covering the panels before fixing shows off all the fine line but gives you access behind the panels later on if you needed to get behind them

we have different experiences where my holes all lined up perfectly on my L W B just wish i mounted hole plates on the upper fronts and sliding door to fix the panels on im using velcro now it kind of working

Yeah I’ve become a avid fan of the Combe valley campers Chanel on YouTube, it’s been my go to for some of the ‘how to’s’. I was just worried that because I wouldn’t be screwing the ply panels in to the van that even the hidden clips would show when carpeting over them. I’m want to carpet my walls in one go rather than in panels, just my preference really, I prefer the finish.

I think I saw a thread somewhere about someone pre-drilling the holes to allow the head of the hidden clip to fit flush with the ply, but not sure if that’s conman practice?

Yeah I’ve become a avid fan of the Combe valley campers Chanel on YouTube, it’s been my go to for some of the ‘how to’s’. I was just worried that because I wouldn’t be screwing the ply panels in to the van that even the hidden clips would show when carpeting over them. I’m want to carpet my walls in one go rather than in panels, just my preference really, I prefer the finish.

I think I saw a thread somewhere about someone pre-drilling the holes to allow the head of the hidden clip to fit flush with the ply, but not sure if that’s conman practice?
if your doing it your way use hidden clips and duct tape over them they will never show through the ply would be very thin taking a counter sink they barely show fitted as standard only of over worked pushing them in when fitting the panels i got some button clips that are longer for the roof they would not show up either when carpeted over the carpet is 4mm thick i ll get a pic

Back