Kombi camper conversion

Superowls

Still spending
T6 Guru
Hi all, I have bought my 1st Transporter this week & am intending to convert it to a part camper
It's a 2017 T6 Highline 150 T32
I spent quite a while trying to find one in the right spec as a good base for conversion and eventually found one with the engine & gearbox that I wanted, tailgate, and good amount of spec & extras

I'm planning a few jobs and would appreciate any advice as I've got a few ideas but want to get it right before starting the work

I'm removing all the seats (2+1 upfront & 2+1 second row) all in black leather Bentley stitched, and am replacing with 2 captain seats plus a full width rock and roll bed

I'm not wanting any units, hob or sink as I want the space when needed but still able to have a couple of nights away in it

I'm wanting it sound deadend, insulation and fully carpeted, plus electrics, lights & leisure battery, also some cosmetic changes

If anyone can offer advise or can recommend good quality, trusted places to try (especially for the insulating & carpet lining in the south Yorkshire area I'd be glad to hear from you

Cheers, Andy

Screenshot_20200915-063959_eBay.jpg

20200920_161424.jpg

20200920_161405.jpg

Last edited:
Carpet and sound insulation is something you could try yourself. It would save you a fair bit of money.
I’m from the area. Places to try. Bus stop VW. They would be able to do everything you have pointed out. Obviously Leighton vans. Also a place in Chesterfield called Go camper, the guy there is a good bloke.
I’d get it booked in soon if you want it sorting ASAP as they are all crazy busy at the minute

Nice one, thanks mate
I'll have a look at them online, don't really want to do the carpet myself as I'm wanting a good finish, i could possibly do it, but not to a good standard

Am well happy with the van though, paid £21,500 and it's only done 20k
Should hopefully be nice when its finished

Last edited:
The hours of scrolling the internet for upgrades and options starts for you now!
I’ll keep my eye out for you. If you see a bright green van with a bloke waving like mad it’ll be me :thumbsup:

It certainly is.

let me know how you get on with your bits and bobs. I’ll be having a few bits done down the line and would interested to know who you used and what you think

hi everyone im not to good at all of this so please be a little patient with me im asking for some help and advice please i purchased a t6 highline camper 2 years ago it has a bench seat and i hate it i want to swap it for a single oh and by the way there's no chance that i could manage this myself but i have tried to research this and up to now it seems that may be sharan [ford galaxy] seats with just the one arm rest are an option i have a friend who can upholster the seats in real leather for me but i would really appreciate some guidance on wether these seats should fit ok and also im unsure with seat belts any help with this would be great thanks

It certainly is.

let me know how you get on with your bits and bobs. I’ll be having a few bits done down the line and would interested to know who you used and what you think
Will do pal, cheers for the heads up

When you say 'saving space' and 'Full width RnR bed', do you need the passenger seats in the rear, or would a side bench/bed system make more sense, and probably be cheaper.

Hi, yes I need the r&r bed to also work as a 3 seater passenger seat for occasional use and also want to use for moving stuff from time to time so will have space from the side door
I would do it differently if it was going to purely be a camper but I need it as a daily driver for various uses........and also want it to look the part

Depending on the RnR bed you fit, you can get plenty of stuff in under the seats. We've always used RIB beds and you can fold them as a bed, allowing full width/length load space (not height though obviously) and narrow enough stuff slides between the legs, giving full van length. Currently have a 3 seat 130cm wide RIB, which leaves 26cm free alongside the bed (wheel arch aside).
Doesn't look like the pic anymore, as added kitchen, bed boards etc.
RECS: I've had work done in the past by Vamoose, not far from Sheffield. DIY this time around.
Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 20.21.52.png

hi everyone im not to good at all of this so please be a little patient with me im asking for some help and advice please i purchased a t6 highline camper 2 years ago it has a bench seat and i hate it i want to swap it for a single oh and by the way there's no chance that i could manage this myself but i have tried to research this and up to now it seems that may be sharan [ford galaxy] seats with just the one arm rest are an option i have a friend who can upholster the seats in real leather for me but i would really appreciate some guidance on wether these seats should fit ok and also im unsure with seat belts any help with this would be great thanks
Hi @gazlarge, welcome to the forum. Plenty of info here, it's quite a common thing to do to a T6, but I have no idea about non-Transporter seats.

Apparently a lot of demand at the moment so high prices and few seats available.

Depending on the RnR bed you fit, you can get plenty of stuff in under the seats. We've always used RIB beds and you can fold them as a bed, allowing full width/length load space (not height though obviously) and narrow enough stuff slides between the legs, giving full van length. Currently have a 3 seat 130cm wide RIB, which leaves 26cm free alongside the bed (wheel arch aside).
Doesn't look like the pic anymore, as added kitchen, bed boards etc.
RECS: I've had work done in the past by Vamoose, not far from Sheffield. DIY this time around.
View attachment 85786
Thanks for that, yes I need some storage underneath the bed as that's where I want the leisure battery to go
I've attached a photo of the kind of end result I'm after

20200910_081649.jpg

20200910_081744.jpg

Can’t help with much but we have a Flotex carpet fitted in our van, I was worried at first but it’s been brilliant.

Chap at the converters gave me an off cut as I was worried about the marine ply flooring getting wet, so we used the offcut and filled it with water over a bucket for 2 weeks and not a drop went through. Plus it brushes out a dream with a normal broom minus the handle. It hasn’t stained or scuffed or marked and sand, grass doesn’t get stuck in the fibers.

I even used the carpet cleaner vac on it. Love it so much went and got more for front and back door mats in the house.

Not sure if this stuff is an industry standard but if you don’t post you’ll never know.

Lining & soundproofing the floor this week, after reading loads of posts on here about best way of doing it I decided to do like most have and cut ply batons and bond them on, then soundproof between
Was on the verge of buying a sheet of ply, to measure & cut up, but found a company that does a ready made kit, all cut into sizes & ready to stick down. £57 including postage

Brilliant......definitely not worth the hassle & mess of diy! Even comes with a numbered guide of which bit goes where

20201003_152625.jpg

Back