Petrol Engine T6 Discontinued

I can attest to this, my business partner has the Merc C class PHEV and is one of those who still has the charging cable still in its cellophane in the boot. The only reason people are getting these PHEVs is the extremely low company car tax, once that's withdrawn (and it's coming) sales of PHEVS will implode, which is likely to affect manufacturer's investment in the technology. There is no magic bullet at the moment, I think straight diesel, and even straight petrol, engines are going to be with us for a good few years yet.
Unless our man made quotas and targets make this very difficult. It is an unholy mess. I think hydrogen fuel cells look like offering the most at present.....if we can get around to building/adapting some H filling stations.

Chicken and egg though, no one will buy a hydrogen car until there is a good filling station infrastructure, no company will invest in the infrastructure if they're not sure they'll get customers. Then there's the power source for manufacturing the hydrogen...

Whatever quotas could be imposed, any government will have to take a realistic stance as people will still need to get around with the vehicles that could be in circulation for at least a decade. Take away their ability to travel within their budget and the economy collapses. Each government will limp along, stalling things in the hope that someone in the future will be the one to take the hard decisions.

These quotas/targets/agreements are nearly always super-national government; and are International Treaties. A bloody mess.

The current PHEV's are a joke, and in this country (and others I assume) they are being used soley as a tax cheat. I remember about 10 years ago seeing a story ( then the actual car! ) about a VW Golf 3 cylinder diesel mated to a electric motor, a very early hybrid. But it died a death because the US market were very against diesels at that time, and the funding was pulled. My dad had the little 3 cyl tdi in a Polo at that time, and it was an awesome little thing that was fantastically economical, actually thinking about it that was back in 2003-4 I think. The know how has been around a long time, decades perhaps, but the willingness , for whatever reason, not.

my view on this one is ALL manufacturers cheated. same on petrol too

VW got caught in the USA because Germany did something the USA didn't like, so they looked what they could do to hurt Germany
(since cars is one of their large visible export, and few american cars are diesels there except european imports)
(similar to the Chicken Tax of the 1960s why the US doesn't have transporter imported anymore)

Pollution got little to do with it.
Politicians wanting to virtue signal jumped on the bandwagon "look at me, i'm GREEEEN!!!" lol
This is both a good and a bad thing

I think diesel for private people only vehicles smaller than vans is an aberration
Petrol prices will go up as demand increase,
I doubt Diesel will prices will ever drop, but the pressure to increase it should diminish
in turn it should help the industry
I think it all started in California with VW selling diesel cars claiming to meet very tough state emission regs; and Toyota scratching their heads wondering why they couldn't make a diesel engine that could make the regs. Toyota bought a VW diesel, tested it to death; and the rest is history.
It is my understanding that it was 100% VW that started cheating the market with this "cheat device software"

I spoke to one of my dealers today about the TSI, as we will shortly be looking to sell our TSI and replace with something else. I have been told that 100% there be no return of the TSI engine in the T6 due to WLTP Emission regulations!

There are very few, if any, in dealer stock now.

We run 5 or 6, 4 of which will be up for sale soon if you after after one

Here in France:
- VW stop TSI on personal T6 ( california, caravel, multilane...)
-But on Commercial T6 ( transporter) it's still available for 2019. My friend just ordered one T6 transporter TSI 4motion 204 Ps

If i was a betting man, which i am. I would say the TSI is going to become one desirable van in the not to distant future.

Hmmmm….does that mean they'll be a collectors item or difficult to sell on the second hand market in a year or two? The more I read about the emissions scandal, the more I think VW are a bl**dy disgrace and in truth have gotten away with murder! We're all paying for it now!!:mad:

Provided the government don’t increase the VED on them, that’s my only worry having one.

Provided the government don’t increase the VED on them, that’s my only worry having one.

That’s the least of my worries. If you need to consider that don’t buy a TSI. The fuel is good fun and that’s coming from a V8 RS6!

I will keep mine until the end of it. Like I did with my T5 V6
Here with E85 (85% ethanol gazoline) at 0,6€/liter it's cheaper to run than a TDI. 98 gazoline cost 1,5€/liter so does diesel
In the near futur I will fit a T6 TSi hybride TTE450 turbo to get some descent power. :) :)

It will alway be taxed as a commercial, so at most would only up £5 a time or so.

And I think their desirability will increase. I presently have two for sale.

And I've just ordered a replacement for our Beige TSi, going back to a BITDI 4 Motion!

I had a quick look on the German VW site last night, and tried the configurator for a couple of T6 versions - neither was available with a petrol engine (but as they have so any more versions than us, I didn't try them all).

It will alway be taxed as a commercial, so at most would only up £5 a time or so.

And I think their desirability will increase. I presently have two for sale.

And I've just ordered a replacement for our Beige TSi, going back to a BITDI 4 Motion!

Hey Oli/Bognor Motors
Old thread, i know...
I've been poking around this forum trying to decide what i'm going to replace my T4 102 with. As I only do 8,000 miles a year I was seriously considering TSI. I've noticed you were a fairly big advocate of the TSI, but then I see you are moving back to the TDI.
I'd be really keen to know the reason?

I need a LWB Kombi with either a 150 Tdi EU6 in, or either of teh TSI's. I'm not made up on DSG yet, but plan to hire one to move something in the near future as a quick test drive is not enough.
I did look at that Starlight Blue one you had recently. We were very tempted though, but I'm not quite ready to spend just yet, and it was the EU5 and had a few other things that didn't tick my box....
Thanks
Huw

Hello

I replace my vans every year, so TSI wasn't available. Mine was Revo stage 1 and an absolute weapon. I don't miss the fuel economy, but that was more to do with how I drove it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just got a Tsi Shuttle. Must be quite rare as I kept an eye out for about 6 months and didn't see any, only saw this by chance as it was listed as a Tdi. Coming from a 2.5 T5 is a total revelation, so much smoother and quieter. When I worked out fuel economy against my T5 there was nothing in it due to the cheaper petrol costs and relatively little difference in MPG between the two. That and the fact a 300bhp bus was just too appealing. No adblue, no dpf, no timing belts etc to worry about either. If your doing heaps of miles then fair enough diesel is the one. Once my T5 goes I'll be happy to be a DERV free motorist again.

I've just got a Tsi Shuttle. Must be quite rare as I kept an eye out for about 6 months and didn't see any, only saw this by chance as it was listed as a Tdi. Coming from a 2.5 T5 is a total revelation, so much smoother and quieter. When I worked out fuel economy against my T5 there was nothing in it due to the cheaper petrol costs and relatively little difference in MPG between the two. That and the fact a 300bhp bus was just too appealing. No adblue, no dpf, no timing belts etc to worry about either. If your doing heaps of miles then fair enough diesel is the one. Once my T5 goes I'll be happy to be a DERV free motorist again.
No timing belt? Is it gear driven?

Back