Pet Hates #01 Spray Grease On Door Hinges!

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Top of the list in pet hates. Those lazy guys who think that using half a can of aerosol grease pointed roughly in the direction of the hinge points is ‘lubricating’ the door hinge. Please stop it, arrrghhh.
None of the grease does anything for the hinge and a week later it will be running down the sills and attracting dirt and crap. Looks awful, sign of a bad tech, every time.
I make a special request at service to NOT have my door hinges lubricated and they still do it!!!
Rant over
And relax......

Not to mention the grease discolours the plastic of the sliding door hinge cover if you don't clean it off ASAP.
My pet hate was the dealer topping up the already full washer bottle and charging for a full bottle of manufacturer branded screen wash at every service.
Not a VW dealer in this case, I'm sure they wouldn't do such a thing.

:thumbsup: Not a van but having my Passat serviced I once handed the car over and said "the screen wash is full please don't top it up"
When I collected the car there was a 1 litre bottle of screen wash on the invoice!!! I queried this in my politest manner and the service receptionist said "Oh yes it was full so they have left a bottle of screen wash in the boot"!
WTF.........
So after a long discussion they agreed to take the screen wash off the invoice, only it turns out the computer system wouldn't let them do that. In the end the service manager gave me the money in cash out of his own pocket and they let me keep the screen wash.:mad:

Pet Hate #1 Spray Grease on Door Hinges
Pet Hate #2 The Screen Wash Scam

I'm not an expert but I can do simple things like filters, oils, brake discs pads.

I hate how garages treat you like mugs. The rear pads were reported as dangerously low on severely scored discs on a van at a major service, quoted at £280 so I said leave it I will do them. I bought replacements for £75 and on inspecting the old discs/pads, the discs were (barely) lipped and the pads had about 6mm on them. I asked them to top up the gearbox- literally a 5 min job on a ramp, they did- charged 20 mins labour and a litre of oil, when they only used 250ml. On the same service missed (or intentionally omitted) to do the diesel filter. They wanted me to drive 20 miles to them so they could change it.

It's a good while since anything like this had happened to me and I was a bit shocked that it was still going on.

Pet Hate #1 Spray Grease on Door Hinges
Pet Hate #2 The Screen Wash Scam
Pet Hate #3 Being overcharged for unnecessary work/work not completed

Back