Performance exhausts

Hi Folks
This is my first post on a forum and I’m collecting ideas for my long range expedition van based on a T6 (T32) 4x4. I am about to have a Vortex exhaust system fitted that reduces back pressure and improves bhp and reduces fuel consumption, both welcome. Apparently they can also tune the exhaust note so looking forward to a bit more noise ! Will let you know how I get on and will try to grab some photos.

If diesel you can run a straight through pipe with no silencers and it still won't make a difference to the sound. The dpf steals everything.

Hi
It’s Diesel, not sure how they ‘tune’ the exhaust but will be interested to watch the process. The main box on the exhaust is also a better shape in that the ends are cone shaped (this is how they start to generate the Vortex) I hope the shape will help the box survive contact with any objects under the vehicle when a little ‘off road’ without needing the very expensive Seikel’s exhaust protector !
Ian

It’s Diesel, not sure how they ‘tune’ the exhaust but will be interested to watch the process.
hmmm, call me mr cynical, but I'm sure I can smell the faint whiff of snake oil :)

There is some science that goes into absorbing certain sound frequencies in exhaust systems and that is about all you'll get from a performance exhaust system (different noise).

As far as more power and better mpg is concerned, you won't see any difference over a standard system for a turbo diesel; it's only when you start improving the engine that you need to do anything with the exhaust.

The vortex thing is from 1950s 4/motorcycles and any 2/ exhaust systems where you use converging and diverging cones. Again, the converging cones are not going to help scavenge the exhaust gases from your engine as there is a DPF, then a Catalyst and then the turbo in the way.

:cry:oh sh*t balls @Fish, thanks buddy, now you've stooped to andythom's level, and you're also showing me things that i want but can't afford. This forum needs to come with a health warning "contents will make you mentally unstable or broke; possibly both!":cry:
This is now available on @Exploria Ltd website ??

H
Any updates on this?
Hi Adam
I think contry to what was written above these exhausts were developed recently from the car racing industry, an industry that if your doing well with any modification you tend to want it quite to preserve your advantage. The company decided after developing the exhaust in motor racing to expand their market into cars and trains. The idea behind the exhaust is to speed up the flow of the exhaust by forcing the outgoing exhaust gases through special shaped compartments that both compress the air but also force it to spin at high speed around the edge of the exhaust, thus lowering the pressure in the system, this in turn lowers the pressure in whole exhaust system, lowering any back pressure and encouraging better scavenging of the exhaust. (I hope I’ve got that right)
As far as results go I had only had the van for a couple of weeks and hadn’t done any serious fuel consumption figures, but I do also have a T5 that I have put 100K on, and had driven the T6 for a couple of hundred miles and found it very thirst. I was expecting it to be a bit thirstier as a 4x4 but not quite as thirst as it was. Putting on the exhaust immediately reduced the fuel consumption by some 15% and improved the pick up from high gear low speed situations. The only practical example I can give you is the 180 mile journey from Bournemouth to Greys in Essex to the exhaust fitters. On the way there I used a quarter of a tank, on the way back I used an eighth of a tank, that to me was an observable improvement. The trip was made in similar traffic conditions using cruise control as much as possible to take my right foot out of the equation. I also have to admit that because of our planned charity trip to Mongolia next year Vortex kindle gave us the exhaust and have agreed further sponsorship. This has not stopped me sharing my findings with this group as I feel this is a good product. Apparently the exhausts they fitted on to trains have even more spectacular success and have saved them so much money that they have been able to lower their fuel and tax bill. We have also received sponsorship/help from VWCoast, Zunsport grilles, Revampavan and T4 Conversions, I’d wish to thank them all for their help and wish them well in the future.
Ian

H

Hi Adam
I think contry to what was written above these exhausts were developed recently from the car racing industry, an industry that if your doing well with any modification you tend to want to keep it quiet to preserve your advantage. The company decided after developing the exhaust in motor racing to expand their market into cars and trains. The idea behind the exhaust is to speed up the flow of the exhaust by forcing the outgoing exhaust gases through special shaped compartments that both compress the air but also force it to spin at high speed around the edge of the exhaust, thus lowering the pressure in the system, this in turn lowers the pressure in whole exhaust system, lowering any back pressure and encouraging better scavenging of the exhaust. (I hope I’ve got that right)
As far as results go I had only had the van for a couple of weeks and hadn’t done any serious fuel consumption figures, but I do also have a T5 that I have put 100K on, and had driven the T6 for a couple of hundred miles and found it very thirst. I was expecting it to be a bit thirstier as a 4x4 but not quite as thirst as it was. Putting on the exhaust immediately reduced the fuel consumption by some 15% and improved the pick up from high gear low speed situations. The only practical example I can give you is the 180 mile journey from Bournemouth to Greys in Essex to the exhaust fitters. On the way there I used a quarter of a tank, on the way back I used an eighth of a tank, that to me was an observable improvement. The trip was made in similar traffic conditions using cruise control as much as possible to take my right foot out of the equation. I also have to admit that because of our planned charity trip to Mongolia next year Vortex kindle gave us the exhaust and have agreed further sponsorship. This has not stopped me sharing my findings with this group as I feel this is a good product. Apparently the exhausts they fitted on to trains have even more spectacular success and have saved them so much money that they have been able to lower their fuel and tax bill. We have also received sponsorship/help from VWCoast, Zunsport grilles, Revampavan and T4 Conversions, I’d wish to thank them all for their help and wish them well in the future. I am also just starting to work with a company to build a long range fuel tank that will occupy all the left hand side of the underneath of the vehicle going both forward and rearward from where the current tank sits. I am hoping to double the tanks current capacity. I’m sure there will be challenges on the way, but I will let you know how I get on. I am also looking for someone to supply or build a swing away spare tyre carrier for the back of the vehicle, (not the bike rack that goes on the door itself) if you know anyone please let me know.
Ian

@CX16 any links to your chosen exhaust and fitter?

I would also love to read more about your expedition so if there is a blog/vlog/thread please link us in.

Thanks.
Fish

@CX16 any links to your chosen exhaust and fitter?

I would also love to read more about your expedition so if there is a blog/vlog/thread please link us in.

Thanks.
Fish

Hi Fish
You can check out the exhaust company at: vortexexhaust.com
I will be writing up my progress to the group regarding the last two major issues that I am trying to solve;
1. A long range fuel tank
2. Rear swing away wheel carrier to allow me to carry a second spare (not the bike rack solution)
Will be writing a blog regarding the trip as we go along, but don’t leave until July.
Ian

H

Hi Adam
I think contry to what was written above these exhausts were developed recently from the car racing industry, an industry that if your doing well with any modification you tend to want it quite to preserve your advantage. The company decided after developing the exhaust in motor racing to expand their market into cars and trains. The idea behind the exhaust is to speed up the flow of the exhaust by forcing the outgoing exhaust gases through special shaped compartments that both compress the air but also force it to spin at high speed around the edge of the exhaust, thus lowering the pressure in the system, this in turn lowers the pressure in whole exhaust system, lowering any back pressure and encouraging better scavenging of the exhaust. (I hope I’ve got that right)
As far as results go I had only had the van for a couple of weeks and hadn’t done any serious fuel consumption figures, but I do also have a T5 that I have put 100K on, and had driven the T6 for a couple of hundred miles and found it very thirst. I was expecting it to be a bit thirstier as a 4x4 but not quite as thirst as it was. Putting on the exhaust immediately reduced the fuel consumption by some 15% and improved the pick up from high gear low speed situations. The only practical example I can give you is the 180 mile journey from Bournemouth to Greys in Essex to the exhaust fitters. On the way there I used a quarter of a tank, on the way back I used an eighth of a tank, that to me was an observable improvement. The trip was made in similar traffic conditions using cruise control as much as possible to take my right foot out of the equation. I also have to admit that because of our planned charity trip to Mongolia next year Vortex kindle gave us the exhaust and have agreed further sponsorship. This has not stopped me sharing my findings with this group as I feel this is a good product. Apparently the exhausts they fitted on to trains have even more spectacular success and have saved them so much money that they have been able to lower their fuel and tax bill. We have also received sponsorship/help from VWCoast, Zunsport grilles, Revampavan and T4 Conversions, I’d wish to thank them all for their help and wish them well in the future.
Ian

Thanks for the update, interesting stuff :)

If you want to check the credibility of the information on the Vortex site, look at the Defender Puma 2.4TDCI power and torque curves and then compare them with stock dyno or factory graphs that are readily available.......I'll let you make your own conclusion. I stand by my original statement - a performance exhaust will not make any difference to a standard diesel turbo, particularly after the cat and DPF...and for Euro 6, the SCR. The fact that Mike Brewer endorses it should be enough to frighten most people away.

Ian - good luck on your adventures and I look forward to reading your blogs. Pleased you have some good sponsorship.

W
If you want to check the credibility of the information on the Vortex site, look at the Defender Puma 2.4TDCI power and torque curves and then compare them with stock dyno or factory graphs that are readily available.......I'll let you make your own conclusion. I stand by my original statement - a performance exhaust will not make any difference to a standard diesel turbo, particularly after the cat and DPF...and for Euro 6, the SCR. The fact that Mike Brewer endorses it should be enough to frighten most people away.

Ian - good luck on your adventures and I look forward to reading your blogs. Pleased you have some good sponsorship.
What if the engine has been remapped?

W

What if the engine has been remapped?
Still no different to be honest - the part that the vortex system is replacing is not where the restriction is. I was thinking more about a big Cummins lump with serious work on the internals..

Still no different to be honest - the part that the vortex system is replacing is not where the restriction is. I was thinking more about a big Cummins lump with serious work on the internals..
:thumbsdown:

Back