Payload <> 1 tonne - 4motion Kombi

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Looking at 2 options now and i know this has been discussed from a speed perspective however from a BIK and commercial vehicle perspective and claiming the tax back i'm looking at the following options:

Both Highline Kombis

2.0BiTDI 204PS EU6 4Motion 6-Speed Man BMT - Payload 986kg
2.0TDI 150PS EU6 4Motion 6-Speed Man BMT - Payload 1014kg

Figures off VW site but include:
Unladen weight includes approximately 90% fuel load and 75kg for driver.
Payload = gross vehicle weight minus unladen weight. Weights are for vehicles with standard specification

So does this mean i need to get the 150PS or can i get the 204PS as the payload calc also includes fuel and the driver... probably wishful thinking to be honest.

Has anyone else got a 204PS kombi 4motion and experienced this?

I didnt think the payload figures got into the realms of mass in service etc etc i took it as the figure stated by VW meaning it would need to be a 150
Its up to you how you want to put through a business it all comes down to if your unlucky enough to get inspected by HMRC and if you can justify your actions to them and they accept it because if they dont (and this is something they are quite hot on in recent times) you could be looking at repaying what you have claimed back and that would be painful !

I have 4motion DSG and because of the figures and HMRC rules I felt the safest way to play things was to buy the vehicle as a panel van and add the seats aftermarket.

Without a doubt I would speak with SVTech, they are really good at this sort of thing, and their charges are very reasonable. Just on a side the 204bhp is a fab engine

The plan is to convert to a camper, u always thought a kombi was a better base model with the windows, alarm and sound deadning.

The plan is to convert to a camper, u always thought a kombi was a better base model with the windows, alarm and sound deadning.

If that's the case buy as a van, I put all my own sound deadening in along with insulation and made a better job than VW, I think a Kombi is £3k more than a panel van too.

Have you used them?
I've spoken to them out of interest. I haven't had the need to use them, but they can easily get your vehicle where it needs to be regarding payload. It is just a paper exercise, nothing done to the vehicle. (I think)
Firstly they look at the driver weight /90% fuel
Then they look at the maximum axel weights, which when added together will be higher than the gross weight of the vehicle. They can then increase the payload of the vehicle
If they do this before it is registered, then you should be fine.
Motorhome people use them all the time, they are very good at what they do.
Ring them today and have a chat

Yeah I used the configurator last night and with the options I wanted when I tried the panel van it was forcing me to have comfort pack plus at over 2k!

Will ring svtech today and see what the dealer says too.

Yeah I used the configurator last night and with the options I wanted when I tried the panel van it was forcing me to have comfort pack plus at over 2k!

Will ring svtech today and see what the dealer says too.
Please keep us all informed of how you get on:thumbsup:

So after speaking to the dealer I'm going down the panel van route... only thing tempting me with the Kombi in the end was the comfort dash. He said there's possibly some spec changes happening his week where they may offer comfort dash on their panel vans but i wanted the 204 engine more so going with panel van.

Told him to get as close as possible spec to the Kombi but making some changes so double bench in front and no rear seats, tailgate with window, rubber flooring in load area.

Not sure what else i should consider but at least it will get me under the magical 1 tonne and being a panel van will be cheaper than the Kombi which i would have changed to a camper at some point.

Like Mhill said above i would have control over the insulation and sound deadening on the conversion.

I did email Svtech in the mean time but considering the Kombi would cost more and then more to change the weight the panel van seemed the better option

Looks like you're on the move then.:thumbsup:
I guess the dealer was talking about MY2018 vans, and their new options?

He was yes but I'm not sure on what the implications are... does that mean having to wait longer, facelift etc?

He was yes but I'm not sure on what the implications are... does that mean having to wait longer, facelift etc?
No, it will be minor stuff, but better to have a MY2018 imo, and there maybe some good little extra bits and bobs. The only downside is if they delete your chosen colour:(, but that is very unlikely to happen:thumbsup:

Yeah he's hoping to find out more this week but I want to get it ordered after my previous deal fell through with broker which i placed at the start of the year.

Indium grey... better not haha

No... might be a bit like marmite I think or get sick of it after a while.

One thing I have changed is two seater at the front both heated and swivel base to a bench. I have two kids and need to pick them up some days and sick of having to pick my car up first.

Assuming I can change to swivel bases in future but can you get a heated bench seat?

No... might be a bit like marmite I think or get sick of it after a while.

One thing I have changed is two seater at the front both heated and swivel base to a bench. I have two kids and need to pick them up some days and sick of having to pick my car up first.

Assuming I can change to swivel bases in future but can you get a heated bench seat?
Not heard of a heated bench, but the aftermarket world is a big big thing.

Learn something new every day, i didnt think you could get a factory heated bench

Back