Painted Steels

Sabre

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Im getting my 16" standard steels painted gloss black but just wondering if anyone else has had this done and how much you were charged?
I've been quoted £50 each to strip prep and paint so just thought Id throw this out and see if its ball-park?
Cheers

Im getting my 16" standard steels painted gloss black but just wondering if anyone else has had this done and how much you were charged?
I've been quoted £50 each to strip prep and paint so just thought Id throw this out and see if its ball-park?
Cheers

Do you mean by a bodyshop, or by a powdercoater?
I have a deal set up with my powder guy at £40 per wheel, stripped, blasted and powdered, but that's a trade deal because I have a few done. His normal cost is £45-£50 per wheel.

Thanks @Tourershine , no this is painting not powder coating. I'm keeping it simple for these as they will be the winter wheels once I get another set later.

Thanks @Tourershine , no this is painting not powder coating. I'm keeping it simple for these as they will be the winter wheels once I get another set later.

That's good money if they are doing the full wheel inside and out. It's a fair amount of work for a body shop, and most wouldn't even get involved.
I use powder simply because I feel it's a bit of a stronger finish.

IM reaching that conclusion too @Ann3x. many thanks
Another company said yesterday that they could strip paint and re-balance for £70 a corner so they must really not want to do it around here.
Who did yours Ann? My mum is still up on the Wirral so your part of the world is possible.

IM reaching that conclusion too @Ann3x. many thanks
Another company said yesterday that they could strip paint and re-balance for £70 a corner so they must really not want to do it around here.
Who did yours Ann? My mum is still up on the Wirral so your part of the world is possible.
It was a place in Birkenhead actually so might be doable for you. This place: Alloy Wheel Refurbishment - Birkenhead Powder Coatings

Matt anthracite on 18" steels including mount + balance tyres. Cant complain at the finish but it did take a week or so for them to do the job.

Awesome, thanks @Ann3x, that is my old stomping ground. I will give them a call.
Did you take them the wheels or leave the van?

just had my 4 18" steels powdercoated for £200. I reckon you might want to shop about.

Why? Your price is the same as his price. The size of the wheel is pretty much irrelevant to most places, unless wheels are all a company does, in which case those that charge different prices for different sizes are just cashing in on the fact most people have 18" plus wheels, because there's virtually no more work between 16" and 18". I'd argue that the style of wheel should be more of a pricing factor, but even that's a hard justification to a powder-coating company.
£200 a set is pretty much the universal price for powder coating.

Unless we are talking removing the tyres, and then re-fitting which most tyre companies will charge £15-£20 per corner to do. If this isn't included in your original price @Sabre, then I agree, shop around for someone that does include that work.

I paid 250 for 5 to be stripped, primed and powder coated.

Thanks @Tourershine . My guy wasn't removing tyres, it's a sand and paint the front only so£50 a corner it's excessive in that instance. I'm also beginning to like the sound of powder coating so I'll look into it a little more.

Why? Your price is the same as his price. The size of the wheel is pretty much irrelevant to most places, unless wheels are all a company does, in which case those that charge different prices for different sizes are just cashing in on the fact most people have 18" plus wheels, because there's virtually no more work between 16" and 18". I'd argue that the style of wheel should be more of a pricing factor, but even that's a hard justification to a powder-coating company.
£200 a set is pretty much the universal price for powder coating.

Unless we are talking removing the tyres, and then re-fitting which most tyre companies will charge £15-£20 per corner to do. If this isn't included in your original price @Sabre, then I agree, shop around for someone that does include that work.

So as I said that was prep, powder, tyre fit and balance. That's a lot better than £50 a wheel just sprayed imo.

That place charges £10/w more for bigger sizes.

Honestly don't understand the essay here. I'm just saying that cheaper / better options might be (are) available on the market.

Back