Overfilled AdBlue tank

Bulldogboy

So ,like a bellend, i overfilled the adblue tank, the range is saying 6500 miles, and after a week to 10 days of driving its still saying 6500 miles, so i presume the sensors stuck
The manual says overfilling can cause damagd to the tank AND the vehicle!?
How do i get the sensor reset? How TF are you supposed to know how much to put in so you dont overfill the poxy thing?
Going to France in the near future so keen to get this resolved.

The sensor is ultra sonic.

It can't get stuck.

But if you over fill you have unmetered adblue in the filler neck.
So just carry on using the van.

Eventually, when the level drops enough the range will start dropping.

If you get an error, you will need to Syphon some out.

The sensor is ultra sonic.

It can't get stuck.

But if you over fill you have unmetered adblue in the filler neck.
So just carry on using the van.

Eventually, when the level drops enough the range will start dropping.

If you get an error, you will need to Syphon some out.
Ah, ok i see, thanks for the heads up, thats good, so when filling, if you do it with yhe range showing on the dash, is that a reliable way to top up and not overfill?

The range when full drops in 500 mile increments so unless you have done mega miles it goes down pretty slowly. Plus its only estimated usage based on your current/ recent driving so it doesnt mean it will align with your miles driven.
Good news is that it registered your fill up

Wait for the dash to read 600miles remaining.

Then fill up with the recommendation.

Normally a 10 litre tub.

Wait for the dash to read 600miles remaining.

Then fill up with the recommendation.

Normally a 10 litre tub.
Problem with that is that if it goes belly up and doesn’t register you’re fill then you’ve only got 600 miles of driving in which to fix the issue.
As soon as mine asks for 1.25 gallons I go to the petrol station and bang 5 litres in.

Problem with that is that if it goes belly up and doesn’t register you’re fill then you’ve only got 600 miles of driving in which to fix the issue.
As soon as mine asks for 1.25 gallons I go to the petrol station and bang 5 litres in.
I am similar, when I get the 1400 miles to go warning that comes up on every start cycle I just put 10 litres in because having to clear the warning is annoying. We don’t have any AdBlue pumps nearby so I buy mine at Screwfix for £20 for 10 litres. I’ve seen some forecourt prices as high as £40 for 10 litres which is mind boggling. There is a lot of naked profiteering going on with AdBlue sales.

I am similar, when I get the 1400 miles to go warning that comes up on every start cycle I just put 10 litres in because having to clear the warning is annoying. We don’t have any AdBlue pumps nearby so I buy mine at Screwfix for £20 for 10 litres. I’ve seen some forecourt prices as high as £40 for 10 litres which is mind boggling. There is a lot of naked profiteering going on with AdBlue sales.
Yeah as blue prices have become a mickey take. Noticeably how the forecourt price increased in line with the fuel price even though it’s 95% distilled water.
Pump price at shell near me is £1.78 but at shell 20 miles away is £1.04 so it’s deffo profiteering.

On my6.1 it gives min and max quantities to fill up
Mine's the same and also has the larger adblue tank, at purchase I had something like 16000 range. Currently have 8000 range and it's close to recommending a 10l minimum fill.

I’ve posted before that crystallisation seems to be an issue with the components of the system, so I check / top mine up when the dash quotes an amount to fill. Its a startline van, so I press the clock adjust button then it cycles through the ad-blue status.

As such I now tend to get the smaller pouches of ad blue from Halfords when they are on offer.

Back