Outer Hebrides

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Thought some folks here might be interested in going to the Scottish Islands. If so, here is some info on our recent trip to Outer Hebrides, Skye, Mull and Arran

Rather than list it all out you can find where we went and photos in attached link: https://trackmytour.com/9307P

Things I learnt it had confirmed:

Love the Outer Hebrides
Skye too touristy for us
Best crab sandwich I have ever eaten was at Kirkibost community cafe
Yes everyone does wave to you as you drive round Barra and watching a plane land in sand is actually pretty neat
Forest Commission car parks in Arran and Mull have no height restrictions and no problems parking overnight
South Lewis much more attractive than Peter May books would have you believe
Harris Gin is gorgeous
Judy in Harris takes in washing (handy when wild camping so much)
Swimming in the sea without a wetsuit in October is bloody chilly (had to be done as trying to swim in every land based shipping forecast area in UK and Ireland)
Seal point campsite in Arran has seals but more interestingly lots of otters
Community hall cafes are great (somewhat dull 1960/70s buildings but with really great home cooked food and lovely people)
When your engine goes into limp mode on the twistiest, narrowest, hilliest 14 mile stretch on North Harris you are VERY relieved when you switch engine on and off and it resets itself
Calmac ferries are great
Plus loads more stuff and will be going back

I can see Arran from my bedroom window and used to work on South Uist. Trying not to take it for granted is hard but agree it's getting very touristy at the mo...I guess the £€ situation is the reason.

I can see Arran from my bedroom window and used to work on South Uist. Trying not to take it for granted is hard but agree it's getting very touristy at the mo...I guess the £€ situation is the reason.
I was pleasantly surprised that Arran was no where near as touristy as I thought it would be.

Back