Orion Smart 12-12-30A HOT!

Revidnortheast

T6 Pro
Hi guys, hoping someone could help put my mind at rest or advise settings. I've looked through previous posts about the Orion Smart and couldn't see anything related to my problem.

Had the conversion done by a reputable company July gone and all I've changed with the setup was take out the lead acid battery (I know ) and replaced with 2 x 12V 110AH Xtreme AGM Leisure Batteries. This setup has ran like this without issue for about 2 months now, until today.

I noticed a "hot electrical" smell after about 30mins of driving and pinpointed it down to the Orion Smart charger. The cooling fins were mad hot but everything around it was normal. Its located under the drivers seat so access is limited without lifting the seat off.

I deactivated the unit via Bluetooth and it eventually cooled down and the smell disappeared, along with my anxiety!

I've attached some screenshots of the setup as it was when hot and wondered if anyone can see if there is any setting that shouldn't be Screenshot_20221229_162736.jpgas it is. Fingers crossed.

Screenshot_20221229_163022.jpg

Screenshot_20221229_163041.jpg

Screenshot_20221229_162809.jpg

Screenshot_20221229_162854.jpg

Screenshot_20221229_162740.jpg

The Orion running red hot is a normal thing unfortunately.

This is one of the reasons I dont use one anymore, as my dc-dc is installed in the double seat base with no fresh air cooling .

You need to make sure the heatsink has very good ventilation. And not touching any wires etc. And make sure it's raised off any carpet etc.

Some people mount it on a metal sheet to help dissipate heat.

Some people fit cooling fans.

@Rids & @Samro Use these with fans.

@Deaky has one running.. no fan AFAIK?

Can you post a pic of your install and we may be able to offer some suggestions.

The Orion running red hot is a normal thing unfortunately.

This is one of the reasons I dont use one anymore, as my dc-dc is installed in the double seat base with no fresh air cooling .

You need to make sure the heatsink has very good ventilation. And not touching any wires etc. And make sure it's raised off any carpet etc.

Some people mount it on a metal sheet to help dissipate heat.

Some people fit cooling fans.

@Rids & @Samro Use these with fans.

@Deaky has one running.. no fan AFAIK?
I'll try and get the chair off tomorrow to check it all and get some photos of the install. I've never had it run so hot that it started to smell like an electrical fire

Can you post a pic of your install and we may be able to offer some suggestions.

For extra info,

Here's mine.....

Just remembered I took a few photos before I removed the original leisure battery. I'm thinking I need to put a bit of 2 or 3mm plate behind the fins

20221116_173722.jpg

Spacers behind the heat sync are a good idea and so is a fan blowing directly upwards under the cooling fins. See below link to previous post:

After fitting the above spacers and fan, I decided that more air blown towards the small fan was the order of the day. Wasn't strictly necessary, but my DC-DC runs flat out for extended periods due to it running a water heater.

I must say that this has all worked well and heat isn't an issue, even over the hottest of the recent hit summer in France. (Hot enough to kill 4 solar panels, but DC-DC Orion was no problem!)

@Samro That's a great setup to keep it chilled. I'm guessing with a lot of the smaller van installs, it's all about squashing everything into the tiniest of spaces, which doesn't help with airflow. I'll start by getting some spacers down the back and see if I can get a bit of mild steel plate between that and the wooden mount that's there already.

I can't understand how it's been ok for so long, then today it went into nuclear meltdown mode‍♂️

It's still possible you have a fault somewhere?

But all looks ok from the install pics....

So keep an eye on things.

Do you have any battery monitors?

Like a Victron smart shunt?

It is a good plan to mount on an aluminium plate to help with cooling.
Here are the fans that are small and put air up under the heat sync:

Fans to be powered when ignition is on:
https://amzn.eu/d/hgATLOb

Mine is fitted on spacers to increase gap between mounting board and increase air gap:
Offset spacers to fit the replacement DC-DC.
https://amzn.eu/d/9RDWx4r

A link to my bigger fan that blows air in the general area of my kit. (Purchased following sound advice from @Soundz.)
Be aware that this fan is 2.4A and it would be wise to install on a relay so that the power comes from the LB.

@Samro Thanks for those links, time to start a wishlist.

@Dellmassive I've been thinking about a battery monitor as I don't like to leave the whole system to get on with it itself, I'd rather be able to monitor it and hopefully foresee any problems before I find I have 2 dead leisure batteries! The Smart shunt is a pricey little thing but guessing it's an industry proven monitor.
Thanks for that

@Samro That's a great setup to keep it chilled. I'm guessing with a lot of the smaller van installs, it's all about squashing everything into the tiniest of spaces, which doesn't help with airflow. I'll start by getting some spacers down the back and see if I can get a bit of mild steel plate between that and the wooden mount that's there already.

I can't understand how it's been ok for so long, then today it went into nuclear meltdown mode‍♂️
If it is getting unusually hot at this time of year, then it could be that your battery is on its way out and struggling to accept charge.

This may cause the DC-DC to be a little overworked and get hotter than usual.

I'm sure it will be difficult to access with it being under the seat, but it would be worth checking the battery for faults.

By the way, these things are pretty cool because you can access them by BT and see the battery temp and voltage remotely.

https://amzn.eu/d/1VXjuuI

They also wirelessly network to the Victron Bluetooth MPPT controllers and chargers which will allow the solar charger to account for battery temp.
(Unfortunately they won't link up to the Orion though.)

@Samro the 2 Leoch (12V 110AH Xtreme AGM Leisure Battery (XR1750) NCC Class A) batteries were only fitted in November so really hoping nothing is wrong with them but I'm guessing it's best to get them checked out 1st. I like the look of the small sensor, especially as I've got 2 leisure batteries (both new and installed at the same time). It would be a good install to keep an eye on each battery separately.

Here is the rest of the monitoring thread.....

You could start with a BM2, but it won't show you the current going in and out of the leisure system.

@Samro Do you know if the Victron Smart Battery Sense can be named? Say "Battery 1" "Battery 2"?
Yes you can name them.

But you only need one for both battery's as lond as they use a common NEG to chassis.

If the batterys are remote from each other you could use two smart shunts..

Fyi.

They use the same Victron app as the Orion...

So can load the demo of the smart shunt to play with...

Eg....

Screenshot_20221229_212037.jpgScreenshot_20221229_212028.jpgScreenshot_20221229_212046.jpgScreenshot_20221229_212051.jpg

@Dellmassive thanks for that, I was thinking of using 2 sensors to monitor each battery independently or wouldn't that work if they were installed in parallel?
I've ordered 2 from Amazon as they're the cheapest and will arrive tomorrow!
I could always add one to the starter battery and keep an eye on that.. it let me down a few weeks ago for no reason whatsoever..thats another story for another day

Back