On Board Water Or Bottled Water

I’m looking at the underslung CAK skirt tank for fresh water on my build. How do you protect the vents on these, so contamination doesn’t come in the top? As far as I can tell the vents are just two little holes, but I would be very happy to hear differently.
Im not sure on the CAK tanks, i fed my vent up onto the roof with a marine bulkhead vent fitting.

Someone with a CAK tank might be able to let you know what they have done.

We use the tank water for washing but bottled water (or from a small water container) for drinking.

I agree with the above concern, dirt could get in through the tank vent.

We've gone in the other direction - started out with a Reimo 12L (I think) 'jerry can' type container under the sink with a pumped tap but decided that we just couldn't be bothered with it after a couple of trips and now use one or two collapsible stand alone 5L containers topped up as necessary. Other than for a storing a small washing up bowl, washing up liquid, scourer and tea towels we don't use the sink either. I've even pulled the fuse for the water pump as I don't want it being set off by accident and burning the pump out - at some point I'll remove the tap and pump completely but I'll probably restore everything if I ever come to sell the van.

We've gone in the other direction - started out with a Reimo 12L (I think) 'jerry can' type container under the sink with a pumped tap but decided that we just couldn't be bothered with it after a couple of trips and now use one or two collapsible stand alone 5L containers topped up as necessary. Other than for a storing a small washing up bowl, washing up liquid, scourer and tea towels we don't use the sink either. I've even pulled the fuse for the water pump as I don't want it being set off by accident and burning the pump out - at some point I'll remove the tap and pump completely but I'll probably restore everything if I ever come to sell the van.
Agreed 100%, so much less faff unless you are off grid for days at a time.

We use a 20 Litre clear tank in the bottom of the kitchen unit next to the gas safe. submersible water pump to power the tap. Use this for everything, it’s is emptied and vented after every trip. And when we are away it gets filled before we go and then most days and stays clean and fresh. Just need to be careful where you are filling it from, and I have a dedicated hose and connectors for filling it.

Back