OMG At Last!! Ceiling light rattle sorted

dubdub

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Since getting my T6 2 years ago I've been driven mad by intermittent rattle, I've spent a lot of time, money and effort soundproofing which works great but the down side is you hear more internal noises and this one has driven me nutts!

It was one of those ones that seem to come from everywhere...is the passenger door trim? is it the glove box? a door speaker? inside the dash?....i went through them all, the the other day i found it!!

It was coming from the overhead courtesy light, just the slightest finger pressure on the lens and it stops :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So thought i would pass this on in case it helps anyone else, i was convinced it was coming from the glove box hinge or lock, it was soooo hard to pin point the rattle but now im back in Bentley blissful quiet :D

I had one similar on a previous car. Nearly sold the car just to get rid of the rattle.

I got mine back from the body shop today and travelled up to North Wales and back to visit family (150 mile round trip).
There was an annoying rattle coming from the dash board area (comfort dash) which wasn't there before.
Now as the van had been in for repair and only picked up this morning the dash was empty of the usual crap that normally accumulates.
All the way there and all the way back I was opening and closing all the little cubby holes and compartments, pressing on different parts of the dash and getting more and more frustrated trying to find this rattle. I was racking my brains trying to figure out why the body shop would have needed to remove any part of my dash board when the van was in for a new tailgate.
Finally arrived home and not a happy bunny. Convinced the body shop had done something to my van as this rattle was not there before.
Following my wife upstairs I heard the rattle again. It turned out the rattle was the metal studs on the front of my wifes shoes that had been vibrating from the floor of the van.
Consequently, the van is no longer for sale but the shoes are.

I had a similar experience in my T5 Kombi, turned out it was a slightly loose bolt underneath the double seat holding a few electric terminals to the seat base. I didn't find it until I replaced the double seat with a captain's chair. I also didn't hear it until I soundproofed the van. Used to drive me nuts on a long drive!!

I got mine back from the body shop today and travelled up to North Wales and back to visit family (150 mile round trip).
There was an annoying rattle coming from the dash board area (comfort dash) which wasn't there before.
Now as the van had been in for repair and only picked up this morning the dash was empty of the usual crap that normally accumulates.
All the way there and all the way back I was opening and closing all the little cubby holes and compartments, pressing on different parts of the dash and getting more and more frustrated trying to find this rattle. I was racking my brains trying to figure out why the body shop would have needed to remove any part of my dash board when the van was in for a new tailgate.
Finally arrived home and not a happy bunny. Convinced the body shop had done something to my van as this rattle was not there before.
Following my wife upstairs I heard the rattle again. It turned out the rattle was the metal studs on the front of my wifes shoes that had been vibrating from the floor of the van.
Sounds like that old Golf advert where the passengers ear ring was squeaking :laugh:

I had a horrible rattle coming from around the glove box area. I took the glove box apart, convinced it was something in there, but whilst putting it back I noticed the foot heating vents just under the glove box. It was this! A bit of Velco wrapped around the two vents, and jobs a good un.

I had a horrible rattle coming from around the glove box area. I took the glove box apart, convinced it was something in there, but whilst putting it back I noticed the foot heating vents just under the glove box. It was this! A bit of Velco wrapped around the two vents, and jobs a good un.

Is that the standard dash, or comfort one, Scruffy?

I have had a really annoying noise in my van with standard dash for a couple of years on and off. It is definitely heater related, but doesent start until i've done about 15 or 20 miles and usually when doing 70 or above. Pressing the recirc button subdues it (the only one of the controls that does), and playing around with the heater pipes going through the bulkhead can eliminate it for a while. I wonder if you had any of these symptons? Either way, if yours is the standard dash, i ought ot look at what you found.

Shoes or the wife?

i have an annoying one which comes from the rear, it sounds like its the tyre carrier or something around there

Back