Oil specs and what to use

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi,

I have a 2017 204ps.

What oil do I use? The manual says VW507 00 which is a 0w 30 oil but I also have a spare bottle of Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0W 40.

T'internet says I can use both but the t'internet is occasionally habited by plums :-(

Thoughts!

I have the same machine. The oil recommended by the dealer was Castrol Magnatec 5w 30 long life 7lt's of it per oil change 25K!! oil service period. I think I will be doing it every 12K.
Or any oil that confirms to VW505/507.

I buy castrol edge from Opie Oils, I store it in an oilsafe container with pump and nozzle fitted. Great for a no mess easy top up as these new engunes use a lot to start with..

Hi . Thanks for letting me join , probably a question that’s been asked before , I’ve a 2010 T5.1 2L echo or as I say the cheap tax one it’s been remapped over 2 years ago been serviced regularly by a local garage that knew the van , they have since gone so I’m going back to servicing my vehicles myself and I’m wondering with the engine remapped what oil would owners / people in the know use and if you’d also put an engine protector in like Slick 50 . Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi . Thanks for letting me join , probably a question that’s been asked before , I’ve a 2010 T5.1 2L echo or as I say the cheap tax one it’s been remapped over 2 years ago been serviced regularly by a local garage that knew the van , they have since gone so I’m going back to servicing my vehicles myself and I’m wondering with the engine remapped what oil would owners / people in the know use and if you’d also put an engine protector in like Slick 50 . Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sorry I can't tell you the oil spec on a T5.1, but you don't need any additives, just quality oil changed regularly. I've never let any car go more than 10K miles without an oil and filter change and several of mine have been sold with over 200K miles on the clock, still running well.
Halfords own brand oil, changed every 8 - 10K is better than a much more expensive brand left in your engine for 25K miles, the remap makes no difference.
Type your registration number in to any of the usual websites, Halfords, CarParts4Less, Euro car parts etc, they will tell you what oil you need.

Sorry I can't tell you the oil spec on a T5.1, but you don't need any additives, just quality oil changed regularly. I've never let any car go more than 10K miles without an oil and filter change and several of mine have been sold with over 200K miles on the clock, still running well.
Halfords own brand oil, changed every 8 - 10K is better than a much more expensive brand left in your engine for 25K miles, the remap makes no difference.
Type your registration number in to any of the usual websites, Halfords, CarParts4Less, Euro car parts etc, they will tell you what oil you need.

Much appreciated David for the advice, I should of been doing all of this maintenance myself from the day I got the van but it’s the old friend of a friend recommended someone and down that slippery path to becoming a lazy bugger .

Back