Oil leak? Or something leaking

justinsuth

Went to the stealers today and they mentioned a potential oil leak between the engine and gearbox. That to me don’t look like old oil if it is oil. Any thoughts ?IMG_5116.png

Looks like very clean oil, no black carbon as you would get with engine oil.
My advice would be to clean the engine from top to bottom with degreaser and then monitor. First without driving, then with engine running stationary and then driving, checking between each stage.
Looks like there are 3 possibilties;
Gear oil
Power steering fluid.
Brake fluid, maybe clutch slave cylinder leaking?

looks like a leak to me, but very slights at this stage?

if that was a leak, it maybe the - crankshaft oil seal. ( behind the flywheel )

a big job as the flywheel (DMF) needs to come off ( and normally replaced)

++++++++++

was that pic from the video they sent you? - can you post a link to the vid?

++++++++++

but good advice above - use break clean to clean it all off.

then monitor once a week to see if it come back / how bad.

some oil leaks shown on my van . . .

1680065190181.png1680065204497.png

looks like a leak to me, but very slights at this stage?

if that was a leak, it maybe the - crankshaft oil seal. ( behind the flywheel )

a big job as the flywheel (DMF) needs to come off ( and normally replaced)

++++++++++

was that pic from the video they sent you? - can you post a link to the vid?

++++++++++

but good advice above - use break clean to clean it all off.

then monitor once a week to see if it come back / how bad.
Will give it a degrease over the weekend and see if anything appears. It’s a bit odd that it looks like very clean oil ( or something else) thanks for the advice though

Any update on this? I may have a leak in a similar location.
I took the under tray off yesterday randomly. Still leaking slowly. Still trying to work out what to do to be honest! Ultimately gear box needs to come out.. clutch and flywheeel.. vw think it’s either flywheel bolts or oil seal.. the van has only done 35k! So crazy that oil should be leaking at this mileage!

That is a tiny leak at the time of your photo, degrease before an MOT and keep an eye on levels is my advice.
Sooner or later the dreaded DMF will be calling for renewal, sort it out then,

Mines just been in for a service and VW Bicester found the same issue. Oil coming from flywheel/gearbox exactly as shown in the photo above. They said they think it's the flywheel bolts. Mine's a 2016 BiTdi 180 DSG. Quoted £750 to remove gearbox and inspect without any repairs. I'm going to keep a eye om it as it's a tiny leak and barely more than a teaspoon of oil.

That looks like engine oil from the sump plug, clean it off and watch where it leaks from.
That was what I thought it could be. It was only serviced a few weeks ago. I’ll have a good look at it tomorrow. Thanks DXX

That was what I thought it could be. It was only serviced a few weeks ago. I’ll have a good look at it tomorrow. Thanks DXX
If you are going to check if the plug is loose be careful as the person who last tightened it may have stripped the thread.

If you are going to check if the plug is loose be careful as the person who last tightened it may have stripped the thread.
I might just pop in and get them to look at it. It looks like it’ll be their fault anyway!!

I might just pop in and get them to look at it. It looks like it’ll be their fault anyway!!
That's definitely just the sump plug leaking. From the photo, looks like there might be 2 soft steel washers on it? Should only be the one.

It's an easy mistake as I have also done an oil change before using a new soft steel washer but the old one is still stuck to the sump pan. Luckily, I noticed it before I tightened the plug up.

some oil leaks shown on my van . . .

View attachment 193951View attachment 193952
Looks like the crankshaft seal is weeping from behind the drive pulley. Isn't that a common issue? Not too bad to fix at the next cambelt change?

Looks like the crankshaft seal is weeping from behind the drive pulley. Isn't that a common issue? Not too bad to fix at the next cambelt change?
VW have changed the cam belt interval to mirror Europe - could be a long wait!

Doesn’t look much of a leak from that photo.
I'm having a debate with VW as oil has been leaking from this ftg from day one, now coming up to 3 yrs old, I don't know what item it is but they say, it's not under warranty and my argument is its leaked from day one mmmmmm

Screenshot_20240322_114835_WhatsApp.jpg

Back