OEM Head Unit & Carpuride W901 Pro - BT Issues

Radar1968

Greetings All,

I'm after a bit of help with a standard VW head unit in my T6 and its connection to a bluetooth device.

I have purchased the unit below which is a simple 9 inch screen that allows CarPlay etc. Appreciate its cheap (I didn't pay the Amazon price) and cheerful but I simply can't justify a more fitted, expensive solution currently.

Carpuride W901 Pro - Amazon

The issue I have is a BT error that occurs when the W901 is connected to the head unit when everything is switched on.

Basically the head unit connects to the W901 with both HFP and A2DP connections. The A2DP connection is fine and everything works as designed and described. The issue occurs with the HFP connection when it starts and produces a "Import failed. Please try again and check whether the BT device Carp.BTtrans allows connections" ( see first attached photo ) If I cancel the error then all is well until the next switch on when the error happens again. If I disconnect the HFP connection within the BT profile on the head unit immediately I start the van (as per the second attached photo ) then the error doesn't even appear but again it reappears at next switch on. So its the HFP connection, that isn't even used by the W901 as it doesn't support phone calls through to the head unit - only via the W901 itself, that's causing the problem.

Does anyone know of a way to permanently change a BT profile on the head unit so that it survives a restart or can I permanently disable HFP connection within the BT profile for the W901??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Radar

IMG_3341.jpegIMG_3342.jpeg

I think the head unit is trying to import contacts (names, phone numbers etc) from the screen, based on the assumption its a phone as it expects will be connecting to it via Bluetooth and causing the error message you see

I recall in the settings screen where you manage Bluetooth devices, you can state if you want the Bluetooth device to be audio only, phone etc...i cant remember the exact process from memory, but I'm sure it starts by clicking the cog symbol in the bottom right...then manage devices?

I think the head unit is trying to import contacts (names, phone numbers etc) from the screen, based on the assumption its a phone as it expects will be connecting to it via Bluetooth and causing the error message you see

I recall in the settings screen where you manage Bluetooth devices, you can state if you want the Bluetooth device to be audio only, phone etc...i cant remember the exact process from memory, but I'm sure it starts by clicking the cog symbol in the bottom right...then manage devices?
Thanks for the reply.
I had already found that option and sure enough you can turn off HFP and leave A2DP on. However the next time you turn the van and W901 on the head unit connects back to both protocols, causing the error.
I can find no way to instruct the head unit to remember that I want A2DP only for this device. It simply reinstates everything each time.
Think I’m either going to have to return the W901 or live with cancelling the error each time.

Thanks for the reply.
I had already found that option and sure enough you can turn off HFP and leave A2DP on. However the next time you turn the van and W901 on the head unit connects back to both protocols, causing the error.
I can find no way to instruct the head unit to remember that I want A2DP only for this device. It simply reinstates everything each time.
Think I’m either going to have to return the W901 or live with cancelling the error each time.
@Radar1968 did you ever find a solution to this? Are you still using the 901 Pro and liking it? I’m considering one too. Thanks.

@Radar1968 did you ever find a solution to this? Are you still using the 901 Pro and liking it? I’m considering one too. Thanks.
Unfortunately I never did get a fix. Even the Carpuride latest firmware did not resolve the connection dropping.
The solution was to ditch the w901with its 2 way Bluetooth and go for the w905. It’s physically the same size and from a CarPlay point of view functionally identical. They are also similar prices. The difference is that you connect your phone via Bluetooth to the T6 head unit as normal and via WiFi to the w905 for the CarPlay element. I’ve never had a single issue with this unit and it’s really good. In fact I prefer it. You can continue to control the volume, track etc from the steering wheel and or head unit, it has a built in dash cam and it’s a USBC connection for power using a better adaptor than the w901. Also telephone calls still go via the head unit and speakers rather than the Carpuride which has a puny speaker and mic. All in all I wish I’d started with w905. Good luck.

Unfortunately I never did get a fix. Even the Carpuride latest firmware did not resolve the connection dropping.
The solution was to ditch the w901with its 2 way Bluetooth and go for the w905. It’s physically the same size and from a CarPlay point of view functionally identical. They are also similar prices. The difference is that you connect your phone via Bluetooth to the T6 head unit as normal and via WiFi to the w905 for the CarPlay element. I’ve never had a single issue with this unit and it’s really good. In fact I prefer it. You can continue to control the volume, track etc from the steering wheel and or head unit, it has a built in dash cam and it’s a USBC connection for power using a better adaptor than the w901. Also telephone calls still go via the head unit and speakers rather than the Carpuride which has a puny speaker and mic. All in all I wish I’d started with w905. Good luck.
Awesome, thanks for that. W905 ordered! :thumbsup:

Just considering one of these an an option for me also...im assuming your mount in or in front of the top dash tray?...any chance of a pic? does it obscure vision? just been browsing and wondering in the W903 might be a better option as it wouldn't stick up so far?

Back