Dash USB with Alpine Halo

I am finally getting round to installing my head unit, I thought it would be nice to keep the standard USB in the dash so bought one of these to connect the head unit USB to the VW 4 pin connector:

Now as soon as I plug the USB into the Alpine it comes up with an error message ‘Device not recognised’ or something similar. I tried to connect my phone to the USB in the dash to test it after connecting the 4 pin connectors together but nothing. I connected my phone directly to the Alpine with the same USB cable to confirm that both the phone and lightning cable work.

Do I have a dodgy cable or am I missing something?

I got a similar one from Germany to use with my Pioneer and it never worked.

Will be interested it hear if anyone has used these successfully.

I am finally getting round to installing my head unit, I thought it would be nice to keep the standard USB in the dash so bought one of these to connect the head unit USB to the VW 4 pin connector:

Now as soon as I plug the USB into the Alpine it comes up with an error message ‘Device not recognised’ or something similar. I tried to connect my phone to the USB in the dash to test it after connecting the 4 pin connectors together but nothing. I connected my phone directly to the Alpine with the same USB cable to confirm that both the phone and lightning cable work.

Do I have a dodgy cable or am I missing something?
I’ve installed an Alpine Halo 905D recently which has a USB lead & female Silver socket coming out of the back of it and after reading your post, I decided not to purchase an adapter, as changing to a non VW head unit seems to render the dash usb inoperative.
So instead, I unplugged the usb from the wiring harness and removed the VW dash usb female socket and circuit board (the Silver bit) from its Black plastic housing which is behind the front Black fascia plate with the usb symbol on It.
I then managed to fit the new usb female socket into the Black housing (it fitted in the bottom half of the housing but I had to cut the top half of the housing in half and use only the half for it to lock the Silver usb socket in place, so no movement takes place when plugging/unplugging cables into it) and then I reconnected the Black housing to the Black fascia plate, popped it back in to the dash and voila, works a treat. (If for any reason I remove the Halo head unit to put back the VW head unit, I can replace the VW usb female socket and circuit board back in the Black housing, albeit with the top part now butchered into two parts and reconnect to the VW wiring harness).

I have fitted the Halo unit using the Alpine fitting kit which came with the USB connection fitting and cable to allow it to be fitted in place of the VW OEM one. I had no problems with the two usb cables and connections from the Halo unit. One for data one for charging.

Back