Number Plate Transfer Help

Mike23864

NHS
T6 Guru
Hoping for some advice from the T6 Collective. Has anyone sold a private plate and if so how and who too? It’s not a T6/VW plate but it’s 2 numbers and 3 letters. TIA

Thanks. My mum has become too infirm to drive. She’s sold her car but we’ve put the plate on retention and she’s decided to sell it on.

I’m just seeing if anyone’s done this before and whether they did it through Facebook, Gumtree or a plate dealer.

It’s 37 JHW by the way.

Have a look on some websites for similar plates, that will give you a rough idea of what it could be worth.

20230916_104541.png

Could be worth a fair few quid I reckon, this is the nearest I could find with a quick search on the more well known dealers websites.

You can sell it yourself via facebook, forums etc then transfer via the DVLA or go with a plate seller.
A plate seller should give you a value then it's up to you if you use them or sell privately.

It will definitely be worth a few quid. If you’re selling your Mum’s car, have the number transferred to you. Cynically, I’m advising that before a valuation so that it will take it out of the dreaded inheritance tax bucket.

It will definitely be worth a few quid. If you’re selling your Mum’s car, have the number transferred to you. Cynically, I’m advising that before a valuation so that it will take it out of the dreaded inheritance tax bucket.
That’s a good point @JOG , thanks.

Reactions: JOG
Hi,

Quite a long question here for hopefully quite a simple scenario!

I have a new VW on order and when this arrived I need to do a number plate shuffle as we are keeping my car, it will become the wife's and getting rid of hers. In summary this is what we have, reg numbers refer to first two letters only, and what we want to end up with.

CarWife's CarMy CarNew Car
Original RegGXSYWant to register on HP
Current RegNPHP-
New RegBack to GXNP-

If I move the registration, current personliased NP, from my wife's old car to my current car, will I then get to put my personalised plate on retention? Or do I need to first retain my existing personalised plate (HP) revert it back to its original plate (SY) and then transfer on my wife's personalised plate (NP) putting hers back on the original GX plate? I am looking to do this in the quickest, most efficient and importantly cheapest way without loosing entitlement to any of the reg numbers!

Thanks for any help you can give....

Nigel

Reactions: CAB
Firstly retain the numbers that you want to keep. I assume those are HP and NP. The retention fee includes the transfer costs.

Your wife's car will go back to GX and yours to SY straight away, but you'll need to wait for the new V5s before you can do anything else. Presumably the dealer will want the V5 with GX on it in order to be able to sell that car.

You'll need both the V5 with HP on it along with the retention certificate for NP before you can put NP on your car. You need document numbers off both.

The supplying dealer of the new car will need the retention certificate for HP in order to register that one.

Someone here a while back transferred a new plate onto a vehicle that already had a private plate on that he intended to keep. By doing this, his original private plate went into the DVLA ether. Luckily after much effort, then sent it him back. The upshot of this was always retain what you want to keep.

Reactions: CAB
Firstly retain the numbers that you want to keep. I assume those are HP and NP. The retention fee includes the transfer costs.

Your wife's car will go back to GX and yours to SY straight away, but you'll need to wait for the new V5s before you can do anything else. Presumably the dealer will want the V5 with GX on it in order to be able to sell that car.

You'll need both the V5 with HP on it along with the retention certificate for NP before you can put NP on your car. You need document numbers off both.

The supplying dealer of the new car will need the retention certificate for HP in order to register that one.

Someone here a while back transferred a new plate onto a vehicle that already had a private plate on that he intended to keep. By doing this, his original private plate went into the DVLA ether. Luckily after much effort, then sent it him back. The upshot of this was always retain what you want to keep.
I wanted to avoid having to wait for new V5s and having to tell the insurance company about changing number plates multiple times as I think that I get charged each time (multicar policy), hence looking for an easy option. Considering now getting the new one registered as a 73plate and then put HP on it later on that way if I sell it later I have plates ready to go back on it…. GX is probably going private sale or Motorway/WBAC depending on timescales and whether I get any interest in it so not too concerned about that one

I remember reading the post about the lost plate…hence my reason to be cautious.

Back