novice leisure battery worries

I've been watching a few videos and wonder if there is a wiring issue? Something is draining the leisure battery whilst the engine is turned off and the van is just sat on the drive? Is this a possibility?

I've been watching a few videos and wonder if there is a wiring issue? Something is draining the leisure battery whilst the engine is turned off and the van is just sat on the drive? Is this a possibility?
Yes possibly.

The sterling is showing good altetnator volatage when engine running.... but a low output voltage.

What about the leds at the top?

Also any way can get the settings.?

Apparently the flash up on startup or press the menu.

You need to get the instructions downloaded..

What make you say the EHU charger is working?

Have you got any bTtery monitors connected?

Yes possibly.

The sterling is showing good altetnator volatage when engine running.... but a low output voltage.

What about the leds at the top?

View recent photos.jpg

Not sure?:confused:

Dont know what this means :confused:

Done.. but dont make much sense to me :oops:

Because when we charged it from mains hook up The EC50 panel showed fully charged about 4 days ago now it is showing only the first two leds and we drove 55 miles in it yesterday?

Battery monitors? is this the EC50 control panel?

Sorry i'm a bit useless

I haven’t dared mess with the Sterling settings, they look far too complicated to me as well.
you say it’s a brand new conversion- can you not take it back for them to check it over?
I'm just wondering if your leisure battery is knackered so it can’t take/hold a charge?
I notice Dellmassive is watching this thread, he is an expert and very helpful so he can probably guide you.

Hi Nigel,

We live in south wales and we picked it up from Scotland two weeks ago, so it would be quite a trip to do again. We've been in contact with the dealership. The conversion comes with a three year warranty so I think what we may do is take it to a local conversion workshop to see if they can help out in anyway and if something needs doing they can liaise with the original dealership for payment? They did offer this when we went to pick it up.

Its just frustrating that so early on something is not working quite right. I've waited 7 years to get a campervan just want it to be perfect :(.I appreciate that this could happen with any vehicle as soon as you drive it off the forecourt. Its still lush and I love it!

Thanks again for your help.

Ems

Ems
i know the feeling and my heart goes out to you.
buy one of the little gadgets I will link below.
stick it in the 12v socket which, hopefully, the converter will have provided in the back somewhere and which is connected to the leisure battery. This will show the battery charge and if you start the engine you can see if a charge is actually going in. It’s a useful little gadget and lets you monitor the battery state.

Might be worth giving your converter a call and letting them know of your problem. It might be something they've seen before.

Done and just bought that and a multimeter tester. We're gonna get in contact with them tomorrow.

Just so we can see how things are connected can you post a photo of a) the vehicle battery and b) the leisure battery so we can see just what wires are connected to the terminal posts and what is going where.
it may be almost impossible with the leisure battery if, like mine, it’s buried under the wardrobe in the back but whilst your under there check all the wires are tightly connected and nothing has come adrift on your drive home.

according to the instructions you posted above . . .

the green LED at the top left is indicating BULK charge mode . .

1598205907643.png

which is shown here . . .

1598205974755.png

i dont know if you are able to post a short video clip of it running?

you need to upload one to YouTube, then post that link on here . . .

for the battery you have installed, the setting should be the defaults . . .

ie - seal lead acid - so when its working you should see the leisure battery voltage (with no loads running) start to rise up to 14.4v bulk

then drop to 14.15v

then 13.6v float

1598206299745.png

1598206134187.png

when the engine is running you can do this to check the status . . .

1598206357234.png

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue and set up. Been on hook up all day then start engine to kick in sterling power unit then within 5 mins leisure battery goes from showing fully powered on EC50 control panel to red/amber

Gone back to converter to seek help but wondered if any short term solutions.

I am a complete electrical novice

Video below:

Back