Non standard kombi interiors

Cornishvan

Hi there, we are new to T6 and we have had our Startline T30 Kombi for about a month. It's a family day wagon for getting to the beach, having lunch and generally having fun with the family in.

We are keen to get the interior sound deadened and insulated before we then finish the inside. But what with? That's the million dollar question. All we know is that we want something hard wearing, and maintains easily. The kombi panels that are in the van are pretty grubby and not very nice quality, but I quite like the work van look. We don't really want to go full carpet, as it takes away a bit of the "essence" of van. So our question is can you show us you non standard interior finishes , part carpet, hard panels, what have you done. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Cornishvan ....Regarding sound deadening...this site can give you good advice

this was my example ...some good videos on YouTube.

2F9C1B72-43CE-47B1-8764-E77C3811CADC.jpegD6A544EE-5B3F-43C7-88B0-63FAE4911D41.jpeg

Thanks @VanDamMan looks like you did a tidy job of the sound deadening etc. Did you carpet inside or do something else?
We did the sound deadening but had the carpeting done by the same people that did our leisure electrics and had a pod system fitted

3F47D38D-08D8-42A1-89E2-A10457C9AE81.jpeg

I went for silver grey pre-carpeted panels and left the rest of the Blackberry coloured interior uncarpeted. Gives the two tone look and avoids carpet overload. Blue grey Altro floor, though you've probably got the Kombi rubber floor which is great. Sound deadening - you don't need to do every square inch. Once you've covered 50% of panels, starting in their centres, the gains rapidly diminish, and it's not cheap stuff. I wished I'd fitted a leisure battery earlier for lights, charging, cool box etc. There's no going back. Consider fitting a diesel heater too. I went for a £100 Chinese job (2KW), DIY fitted under the van on driver's side and it's been great (fingers crossed).

@boxelder interesting, we have got the kombi floor, which I think is great, it looks super tough and does a good job with the sound insulation.

Good to hear that you went with a minimal carpet option, just carpeted panels. This is definetly an option for us. What about the headliner, carpeted or just standard? And did you buy the panels pre carpetted. Thanks for the info.

Just left the ceiling for now, beyond adding 4 led spots and 2 touch on spots. If it starts to look tatty, I'll replace with 1 piece carpeted.
Bought the panels pre-carpetted, as it was a few £ more than the parts, glue etc - but without the time, stress, skill.

Last edited:
I have fitted a Dub Plastics / TrimTech kit - it’s a plastic lining kit that comes in grey (Just Kampers do a black version).

You line the whole van with it - it’s a kicker knowing that you’ll cover half of it up with furniture but it does give you a clean finished interior.
However they don’t cater for the tailgate or the slider too well, so you’d probably end up considering retrofitting a VW trim from a Caravelle or Shuttle.

Alternatively you can line with vinyl - there’s a thread on here somewhere where some has glued vinyl straight on to metal but I can’t find it.

Deaky (self-build) and Jason (at AbsoluT5) have also done some vinyl work -
Click on the arrow of these quoted posts to see their work:

Thanks I saw the @Absolut5 post about vinyl trim, it's interesting and we liked the colour combos, however, we were worried that vinyl might not be hard wearing enough with 2 boys in the back.

Thanks for the info.

Back