noise on 4motion

Sturge

IT Support
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi

Busy trying to find a new van - switching from a Landrover Discovery to a Kombi.

Went to look at a 4motion yesterday, an ex demo one, and the first thing that struck me was a 'tickity tick' noise when the throttle was applied. Disappeared when I backed off the throttle. Couldnt hear it outside, but reminded me of my 1960 Series II landrover which has a load of noises (!) but a similar noise eminating from the gearbox.

I went out in a non 4 motion one (both DSG, 204 ) and didnt hear the same noise.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal - I dont recall it from my last drive in a 4motion, and this instantly struck me as odd. Needless to say, the sales man and the sales manager couldnt hear it!

Any advice welcome...

Cheers

I've had land Rovers 110 County; T5 2wd Velle 174 tuned to 240bhp; T6 Velle Exec Dsg 204 4 motion.
I am not aware of the noise you describe at all, and not heard it mentioned before.
Could it be possible you had some gravel in the tyres?; I have had that before particularly with MS tyres.
Had a 204 dsg 4mo. for 1 year (16k miles), blood awesome `and no probs at all. But I am sure there will be people with a similar vehicle who have problems.

IMO if Landrover do not understand where MPV vehicles are heading, they will be destroyed by VW.
Landrover are awesome at packaging vehicles; but they need to reinvent the "forward control" with a low line flat floor plan + air suspension, or FUBAR........:(

I have always wanted a Disco (best looking 4x4 imho by a mile) but the fleet we owned were constantly back and forth to the dealership with issues. It was the same with the Ranges as well.

I have always wanted a Disco (best looking 4x4 imho by a mile) but the fleet we owned were constantly back and forth to the dealership with issues. It was the same with the Ranges as well.
Crawling with them here; I've come to associate them with ar5ehole holiday homers so I just can't help but hate them.

I work in Cheshire a few miles from where the footballers live so completely understand and agree. Started to see a few of the Bentley 4x4's - they look awful although inside I imagine they are simply awesome.

I work in Cheshire a few miles from where the footballers live so completely understand and agree. Started to see a few of the Bentley 4x4's - they look awful although inside I imagine they are simply awesome.
A local guy (NOT a holiday homer for once!) has one in dark green - he got it as soon as they came out. I sort of like it in a funny kind of way. Suits it quite well. Plus I know it has a whacking great engine which helps. Ironically he seems to pootle around in it rather slowly!

Seen a few things recently about locals not approving of people buying up property as second homes. Even saw some sort of Cornish Terrorist movement lmao

A local guy (NOT a holiday homer for once!) has one in dark green - he got it as soon as they came out. I sort of like it in a funny kind of way. Suits it quite well. Plus I know it has a whacking great engine which helps. Ironically he seems to pootle around in it rather slowly!
No doubt basking in the fact he has one but the why not

Not got any noise like that on my 4motion.

Another ex defender here, 2.4 Puma XS double cab pick up.

Hi

Busy trying to find a new van - switching from a Landrover Discovery to a Kombi.

Went to look at a 4motion yesterday, an ex demo one, and the first thing that struck me was a 'tickity tick' noise when the throttle was applied. Disappeared when I backed off the throttle. Couldnt hear it outside, but reminded me of my 1960 Series II landrover which has a load of noises (!) but a similar noise eminating from the gearbox.

I went out in a non 4 motion one (both DSG, 204 ) and didnt hear the same noise.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal - I dont recall it from my last drive in a 4motion, and this instantly struck me as odd. Needless to say, the sales man and the sales manager couldnt hear it!

Any advice welcome...

Cheers

Sounds like possible driveshaft cv joint, or uj to me..

Thanks. Confirms my worries. Walk away, which is a shame as wanted to get one before a holiday at start of August. 4motions seem to be rare as anything in a decent spec.

Moving away from the disco as have two sons who are big into mountain biking (as am I), and every week I seem to be shoe horning bikes into the back of the disco or onto the tow bar. The disco is an awsome car - it is my second - but I dont like the way the landrover brand is headed (too poncy). Bought my first Discovery 3 new in 2005 not long after they came out. All the spiel was about fit for purpose, tough, go anywhere. Now the spiel is about app controlled seats, how many USB sockets etc, whilst the new Discovery 5 is less practical and pig ugly!

I use my Disco like a van a lot of the time, so think a Kombi will be better suited to my needs, I prefer the image, and it is two fingers to the parade of 4x4s at the school.... plus think it may be nicer for our regular trips across europe where the superior space makes life a lot easier.

Just trying to find one - bit peeved on Friday as drove best part of 200 miles each way to look at this one! Have an option for a new one, but trying to avoid the wait. However dont want to compromise the spec as coming from a top of the range 3 year old Disco.

Thanks. Confirms my worries. Walk away, which is a shame as wanted to get one before a holiday at start of August. 4motions seem to be rare as anything in a decent spec.

Moving away from the disco as have two sons who are big into mountain biking (as am I), and every week I seem to be shoe horning bikes into the back of the disco or onto the tow bar. The disco is an awsome car - it is my second - but I dont like the way the landrover brand is headed (too poncy). Bought my first Discovery 3 new in 2005 not long after they came out. All the spiel was about fit for purpose, tough, go anywhere. Now the spiel is about app controlled seats, how many USB sockets etc, whilst the new Discovery 5 is less practical and pig ugly!

I use my Disco like a van a lot of the time, so think a Kombi will be better suited to my needs, I prefer the image, and it is two fingers to the parade of 4x4s at the school.... plus think it may be nicer for our regular trips across europe where the superior space makes life a lot easier.

Just trying to find one - bit peeved on Friday as drove best part of 200 miles each way to look at this one! Have an option for a new one, but trying to avoid the wait. However dont want to compromise the spec as coming from a top of the range 3 year old Disco.
Lots and lots of choice when buying a new T6, 5 months soon flies by.:thumbsup:

Back