Newly fitted AP coilovers clicking over bumps

Mtb-T6-Jay

So recently installed a new set of AP coilovers to our T6 and now we are getting a clicking noise over bumps. Lifted the van and removed the front wheels to see if anything was loose and found the dust covers/bump stops on the front shocks were stuck to the top of the struts. Pulled them back down and checked everything else which seemed fine. Refitted wheels and test drove, first few bumps the noise had stopped, then it returned. Checked again and the bump stops were stuck at the top of the struts again. Thinking this now is the cause of the noise, where the metal part of strut is hitting the plastic dust cover when over bumps?

Has anyone experienced this before and found a solution?

Thanks in advance!

It’s probably the dust covers if you haven’t sorted this already. If they’re like the Eibach coilovers I’ve just fitted the springs don’t fit over the dust covers without touching. I trial fitted them pushing them down and even trimming them shorter as the spring gets smaller and could hear a clicking noise when compressing the spring. Ended up taking the dust covers off. Not ideal should come with a new set that clear the spring really.

Inspecting everything while jacked puts the suspension in full extension which isn't how it sits normally. With weight on the ground you may find that the dust cover position is OK.
You mentioned removing both front wheels so I assume that both were off the ground. If not, the ARB will be twisted which puts a considerable force through the links. This will hide a lot of free play.
Also, the top mounts and anti-roll bar drop links will have likely been messed with to fit the coilovers. I would definitely be looking at these.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! Managed to get some pics of the covers in their position with wheels on the ground, they do look like they are sat too high? Would be good to hear your thoughts of where they are

20230810_170417.jpg

20230810_170433.jpg

The covers definitely look higher than ideal.
If lots of parts have been replaced there could well be a loose bolt somewhere, especially if any hardware was quite worn and got re-used.

Back