Rumble/knock from drivers footwell after coil over fitting [Resolved]

BlackThunder5.1

VIP Member
I’ve fitted stance+ suspension and ever since there has been an intermittent knocking / rumble sound. Mostly at low speeds and not really over bigger bumps. I don’t think it’s related to turning. Originally through the driveshaft support bearing was knackered so swapped out the complete shaft but this made no difference.
the drop links, and top mounts were replaced as part of the coilover fitting.
can anyone point me in the right direction of what to look at? Hard to get a mechanic to diagnose as it’s impossible to repeat the noise enough…
Thanks in advance for any help

I can’t see how any of your original components are to blame if it was fine immediately before.

Knocks at low speed over rough car parks and surfaces for me from experience on various vehicles been drop links, tie rod ends, roll bar bushes or ball joints on arms.

Its that kind of annoying clunking rattly low speed, low load noises, when under high load or pressure don’t knock.

Arm bushes have normally oresented a clunk under sudden hard braking or acceleration, and top mounts over rough road or bumps at speed.

I had a VERY annoying clunoing problem on one of our abarths with koni shocks, mostly low speed over rough roads and pot hole ridden town roads. I replaced one set of dampers at 30k miles with brand new koni gold FSD, and it was silent for a few hundred miles and came back :(

Turned out to be a common issue with the internal fsd valve.

Hope you find what it is soon, clunks and rattles annoy the hell out of me!

Oh, one thought, spring collars? How are the springs seated? Are the under tension or loose-ish / free to move and rotate when the strut is expanded (jack it up). On the other hand when compressed are the coils clashing? If they are tight together and touching jack up and install spring sleeves to see if it helps?

I can’t see how any of your original components are to blame if it was fine immediately before.

Knocks at low speed over rough car parks and surfaces for me from experience on various vehicles been drop links, tie rod ends, roll bar bushes or ball joints on arms.

Its that kind of annoying clunking rattly low speed, low load noises, when under high load or pressure don’t knock.

Arm bushes have normally oresented a clunk under sudden hard braking or acceleration, and top mounts over rough road or bumps at speed.

I had a VERY annoying clunoing problem on one of our abarths with koni shocks, mostly low speed over rough roads and pot hole ridden town roads. I replaced one set of dampers at 30k miles with brand new koni gold FSD, and it was silent for a few hundred miles and came back :(

Turned out to be a common issue with the internal fsd valve.

Hope you find what it is soon, clunks and rattles annoy the hell out of me!
It can easily be an original part that is stressing because the stance plus ,goes too low and if the van owner has set the drop too low. Lots of things won’t be happy

on another note was your Abarth lowered from standard height m maybe springs fitted to drop it a bit ?

I’ve measured the distance front is 385mm arch to hub centre, rear is 355mm. I’m planning on raising the rear a bit. Looking at the coil overs there is plenty more adjustment to go even lower on the front, I’d say 40-50mm more but the noise seems to be getting progressively worse!
they look as thought they are fitted correct to me although the dust shield/cover is slightly misshapen. Got it booked in with The lad who fitted them this weekend so hoping to get some pointers to sort it

i have recently had my front shocks replaced under warranty after just 4,000 miles both front struts were jamming. it started off as a slight knock and got progressively worse. have a good look round the shaft. i had score/burn marks on mine, mine were sat at around 3/4 down.

i have recently had my front shocks replaced under warranty after just 4,000 miles both front struts were jamming. it started off as a slight knock and got progressively worse. have a good look round the shaft. i had score/burn marks on mine, mine were sat at around 3/4 down.
My word ! what make are they ???

My word ! what make are they ???
The wonderful stance! Wasn't my first choice but I was doing a full camper conversion at the same time. So these were used as a bit of a stop gap just to sort the ride height out. Will be changing them when these fail again...even so you expect more than 4k out of shocks...budget or not

So it turns out it may of been a fitting issue, adjuster was loose on drivers side.
also swapped out the stance nylock nuts for OEM nuts. seems ok so far. Appreciate everyone’s comments, hopefully these will be hassle free while I save for a better solution..

Get the shafts checked.... I spent a fortune pollybushing the front end, drop links, top mounts. All to turn out to be the shafts we're jamming on the struts. There have been a few instances with other stance kits doing it

Ye mine had scoring burn marks on it. Other one was the same..but didn't see it till the shock was took off

This is the shocker. I’ve contacted Stance and they are telling me the damage happened using a tool during fitting. I’m not aware of any tool that would cause that and I’m sure this isn’t the case. They are just trying to get out of it somehow.
Was this similar to yours Newey?

7B20C042-2BFA-4AB8-BF0D-9B6EB0506764.jpeg

3EEE28FC-FE2B-42C8-AD64-2AE48BD72726.jpeg

Also. When I raise and lower the van there is noticeable tight spots which jump as if the shocker is restricted somehow. I don’t know how to upload videos though

I’m not getting a similar level of customer service. Would you mind PMing me some details, dates etc and pictures if you have them and I can discuss with them. Would be a massive help if you could. Cheers

Who did you buy them from? Venom motorsport mine were from they couldn't of been more helpful. As you can see from the photo mine had done the same. I'd be asking what tool exactly do you think would cause that damage. And why on earth would you need to hold the shaft in such a way Screenshot_20220223-145747_Photos.jpg

I have said that to them, no tool I'm aware of that can make that mark. I bought them direct from Stance. Thanks for the picture, I will send this over and hopefully get a better response.

Back