Newbie with a few questions

stevek723

Hi everyone, we've just bought our first T6 converted van and really looking forward to getting going and chatting with some of you on here!!

We've had old VWs in the past, but not a T6 so all very exciting.

I have a few (hopefully not tricky) questions that I could do with some help with please:

1. Our van is a 102 Bluemotion, but it's been re-mapped to 150bhp - has anyone had any problems with this in the past, or is there anything I need to keep an eye on?
2. Running temp - I know there are various threads on this, but at 70mph on the motorway we constantly run at 102-105 degrees. This seems really hot in my mind, but I know new synthetic oils can cope - but is this normal and does it mean something is going wrong somewhere?
3. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get floor mats? :)
4. Smell in washer fluid - I had a really terrible smell here, like something had died! I flushed the water bottle out with fresh water but it's still not great - any tips on getting rid of this?!?

Think that's it for now, and look forward to hearing any replies!

Cheers
Steve

Hi and welcome.

2. Mine is the same engine, but not remapped. Mine will run at similar oil temperatures at high speed. I allow mine to idle for a couple of mins when stopping to allow it to cool the turbo.
3. ‘Rugs For Bugs’ do some great mats.
4. Adding a screen wash will prevent mildew and mould in the washer bottle and eventually it should clear the smell.

can sympathies with the stinking screen wash bottle water iv tried many things to get it to freshen up think i need to replace it and start again. i even use neat undiluted screen washes all year round

it stank from the day i got it.... and welcome to the Forum

Our washer fluid smelt disgusting for a few months. We used Wilko screen wash for a bit and that sorted it.

Pete

I use one of a Halfrauds flavoured screenwashes, I'm using the berry flavour at the moment, you get a nice whiff every time you use the washers.

Awesome, thanks everyone for the responses!

I had a feeling that the vans ran fairly "hot", typically around the 92-95 mark at 60/65 and knocks 102-5 on motorways so I'll just keep an eye but it's good to know that seems fairly normal!

Yeah I've tried loads of things with the washer fluid - it's certainly a bit better, but definitely a nasty whiff everytime :)

Look forward to reading more and finding out more about the vans on here!

Cheers

Awesome, thanks everyone for the responses!

I had a feeling that the vans ran fairly "hot", typically around the 92-95 mark at 60/65 and knocks 102-5 on motorways so I'll just keep an eye but it's good to know that seems fairly normal!

Yeah I've tried loads of things with the washer fluid - it's certainly a bit better, but definitely a nasty whiff everytime :)

Look forward to reading more and finding out more about the vans on here!

Cheers
i'm also running a 2016 T30 blue-motion standard unmapped 102 Normal running temp @ 90

good luck setting out with your New van

i'm also running a 2016 T30 blue-motion standard unmapped 102 Normal running temp @ 90

good luck setting out with your New van
I assume your 90 degrees is the coolant? Mine shows 90 on the coolant (as it’s artificially held at that level to stop it fluctuating as long as it’s up to temperature and within range), but my oil temperature shows a more accurate swing in temperature. :thumbsup:

My oil temperature varies between 95 deg to over 110 deg depending on speed and conditions.

Cruising at 60kph usually around 95 deg

Climbing a hill in hot weather at highway speeds into a headwind, I have seen over 115 deg but once over the hill it was good to see the temperature drop back to 102 deg or so.

Driving conditions will vary oil temperature range, low speed on flat roads, lower oil temperature.
High speed or hilly roads or headwinds, higher oil temperature.

Back