Newbie advice please!

Ash_mk1

Hi all been looking for a van for a while now and I’ve found one I like. Ex rac 2017 99k dash 150hp, has had new wheels/suspension, storm pop top, r n r bed, double captain seat new kitchen units sink/hob, fridge, split charger, barn door and tow bar. Really nice van has a few marks here and there as expected, question is would it bother you if it had no gas or install cert? Is there any issues with insurance if you don’t? Garage will MOT, service cam belt/water pump for me too as a deal

Tia ash

As long as it has been built by a reputable supplier, then I wouldn’t worry about it.
if you aren’t familiar with campervans, is there someone who can give it a look for you ?
Its pretty easy to spot a poor or unsafe build.

Pete

As long as it has been built by a reputable supplier, then I wouldn’t worry about it.
if you aren’t familiar with campervans, is there someone who can give it a look for you ?
Its pretty easy to spot a poor or unsafe build.

Pete
It’s a local garage that’s done it they’ve done quite a few, all the wiring is nice and tidy and the install looks decent and looking at the parts theyve used it’s had money spent but just reading upon gas stuff has thrown me a little

On the gas side I’d say check for stuff that’s hard to rectify post build such as installing drop vents and using a single piece of copper pipe from cylinder to appliance.
Then you can always get the connections checked yourself by a gas fitter to be 100%.
I guess it’s more complicated if it has an under slung tank and external gas fitting etc.
But a basic gas install is exactly that - basic.
Should also have a bulkhead regulator in the same compartment as the cylinder and a pigtail pipe from regulator to gas bottle.

On the gas side I’d say check for stuff that’s hard to rectify post build such as installing drop vents and using a single piece of copper pipe from cylinder to appliance.
Then you can always get the connections checked yourself by a gas fitter to be 100%.
I guess it’s more complicated if it has an under slung tank and external gas fitting etc.
But a basic gas install is exactly that - basic.
Should also have a bulkhead regulator in the same compartment as the cylinder and a pigtail pipe from regulator to gas bottle.
So the orange pipe and regulator are in the left cupboard next to fridge. I wouldn’t really cook in the van I’d be using a cadak grille outside. This is my predicament as What would you do if no kitchen in the van and just used a grille or camping stove you’ve still got a gas can in the back. I may just fit a gas locker for piece of mind when travelling around

09C0352B-1971-4FCE-AD0A-57490EEB2D12.jpeg

I think you might be over thinking it, if your not cooking in the van then just have a gas bottle in the back with a cap on to prevent any leaks, and leave it outside when you sleep

I think you might be over thinking it, if your not cooking in the van then just have a gas bottle in the back with a cap on to prevent any leaks, and leave it outside when you sleep
I agree with this - if the gas installation bothers you but the van is 95% right otherwise, whip the bottle out and use your outside grill during the summer, then if you decide you might want to cook in the van in the winter, use the autumn to learn about gas installations so you can either sleep easy with the existing one, or sort it out yourself!

Back