Newbie..insurance Advice

Ronnie

Hi Everyone new to the forum and looking for advice on insurance...
After many years of wanting and searching for a camper, I have finally dipped my toe in the water and purchased a fully converted LWB T6, which I pick up on Friday. I have been shopping around for fully comprehensive cover for myself and wife as a named driver. So far the best I can get is £950 from Adrian Flux and Safegaurd, with an annual mileage of 15,000, and this is with the dealers discount reference number. This seems excessive as we only pay £400 fully comp on a BMW 5 series, for both of us, with same annual mileage. We can get insurance cheaper with other none camper insurance companies LV (£400), however, they will not cover for cooking and the risk of fire, which seems bizarre for a campervan. I will continue to shop around but would appreciate any suggestions in the meantime

Might be a silly question but are you keeping the BMW or using the van as a replacement (ie. as your every day car)? I ask because reducing the annual mileage would probably have a dramatic impact on the quoted premium .

Agreed. That’s a high annual mileage for a camper. A-Plan told me that most people are around the 6,000 miles mark.

Pete

Might be a silly question but are you keeping the BMW or using the van as a replacement (ie. as your every day car)? I ask because reducing the annual mileage would probably have a dramatic impact on the quoted premium .
Hi Ayjay.. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head we got rid of the BMW to finance the camper so it will be used as an everyday commuter and touring.. might have to treat my Mrs to a second hand mountain bike

I’ve been with Brentacre and A-Plan. Both good. Went with A-Plan this year as oddly a lot cheaper.

Just so you know, I've got a 18 plate t6 converted and insured with adrian flux for £375.
5000 miles and full no claims bonus.
Hope this helps you benchmark yourself against others.

Ours is about the same with A-Plan.
Low risk area, and stored in a certified storage yard.

Pete

Just so you know, I've got a 18 plate t6 converted and insured with adrian flux for £375.

Cheers thank you..the one I’m picking up is on a 17 plate so hopefully can get it reduced from the original quote by bringing the mileage down

Another option would be to join the Caravan & Motorhome Club and use their insurance I got a decent deal from them with an 8k mileage limit and I was happy with the service.

Another option would be to join the Caravan & Motorhome Club and use their insurance I got a decent deal from them with an 8k mileage limit and I was happy with the service.
Cheers Topcat....By bringing the annual mileage down to 6,000, with an option of additional mileage bolt on’s if needed... the quote is down to a more affordable £450..Can I just take this opportunity to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.

Back