We're newbies - please rate our spec :)

Juno

Hi there,

After years and years of wanting a van and not being able to afford one, we are finally about to take the plunge. We are able to get 20% off new through a work scheme. We think the best option is to go for a T6.1 kombi rather than panel having read some of the threads on here (we get 20% off the accessories so I think it's better value to get that discount now) - but interested if anyone thinks any differently. This van will be for life, we won't be in a position to be upgrading or trading in, we intend to keep it for the long haul!

The van will be used for family (two kids age 10 and 16), long trips to Europe, short camping trips in the UK and every day driving etc. We have always camped, with our estate car, roof box and trailer looking like National Lampoons on vacation ;) - I'm hoping with a van we can ditch the trailer for good, we want the cargo area to be able to take loads of gear. I would like to put a bed in, one that perhaps forms a luggage shelf to make the most of the cargo area at the back, or at least leaves room for luggage - was looking at something like the amdro one, or there are systems like the ovano xl....If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Our spec for a new T6.1 is:
- T30, SWB, 2.0 TDI, 150 Highline
- Manual (would love an automatic but concerned about reduced mpg and extra costs)
- Power latching for side passenger door
- Swivel seats x 2 in the front
- 2 + 1 seats in the back
- Tailgate with tinted window
- Front/Rear parking sensors & park assist
- Rear view camera
- Power latching tailgate
- Roof rails
- Bike rack - VW one or do we pay for the towbar prep (£225) but we'd still need to pay for the actual tow bar and a bike rack on top. For short journeys we could bung bikes in the back presumably but for longer camping trips we'd need to use a rack.

Do we need:
- Leisure battery?
- Anything else, obvious that I haven't listed? We would love LED lights but I think they're too expensive, this model comes with H7s.
- A small fridge to just go in the back without a huge conversion?
- Anything else that you think is really important we get now with 20 % off? There seem to be so many things you can add, it can all get a bit overwhelming!

Any advice or suggestions would be brilliant.. Still having cold sweats about finally committing to this, but I hope it will give us loads of brilliant adventures as a family. Looking forward to finally being able to wave :)

Thank you :)

Hi, and welcome from another Newb!

I’m in a similar position to you, and looking to place a new Kombi order soon. Same reasons - family adventures, camping, bikes, etc. The spec I’ve put together is almost the same too! ( 2+1, power latching, rear camera, swivel seats and roof rails.) But unfortunately I don’t have a 20% discount :(

My take on some other options…

- I driven Auto for 10+ years now and can’t imagine going back to manual. For me, the reduction in driving fatigue is worth it. MPG is very related to driving style - a heavy-right foot in a manual can drink far more fuel than a light-foot in an Auto

- I had the same debate on bike racks and settled on the tow-bar route (detachable). We already have tow-bars on both cars and have a have a decent tow-bar (Atera Strada) carrier - so perhaps a biased view. As you’ve suggested, most of the time we expect to just throw bikes in the van and only need the rack for camping trips - so at least with a tow-bar rack it’s only on the van when it needs to be (vs. a permanent tailgate mount). The rack also swings down so the tailgate can still be opened with bikes attached.

- Consensus seems to be that LED is well-worth it. Yes, more cost, but I plan to keep the van for a very long time so feel the investment is justified. Perhaps trade this for Parking Assist?

- I’m leaning towards adding the 75Ah second battery for future use when camping - e.g. portable fridge, charging devices. It’s not a tribal cost, but saves the later retrofit.

I’m interest to see what others think..

Hi, and welcome from another Newb!

I’m in a similar position to you, and looking to place a new Kombi order soon. Same reasons - family adventures, camping, bikes, etc. The spec I’ve put together is almost the same too! ( 2+1, power latching, rear camera, swivel seats and roof rails.) But unfortunately I don’t have a 20% discount :(

My take on some other options…

- I driven Auto for 10+ years now and can’t imagine going back to manual. For me, the reduction in driving fatigue is worth it. MPG is very related to driving style - a heavy-right foot in a manual can drink far more fuel than a light-foot in an Auto

- I had the same debate on bike racks and settled on the tow-bar route (detachable). We already have tow-bars on both cars and have a have a decent tow-bar (Atera Strada) carrier - so perhaps a biased view. As you’ve suggested, most of the time we expect to just throw bikes in the van and only need the rack for camping trips - so at least with a tow-bar rack it’s only on the van when it needs to be (vs. a permanent tailgate mount). The rack also swings down so the tailgate can still be opened with bikes attached.

- Consensus seems to be that LED is well-worth it. Yes, more cost, but I plan to keep the van for a very long time so feel the investment is justified. Perhaps trade this for Parking Assist?

- I’m leaning towards adding the 75Ah second battery for future use when camping - e.g. portable fridge, charging devices. It’s not a tribal cost, but saves the later retrofit.

I’m interest to see what others think..
Thanks for the message :) We used to have a Merc estate that was automatic and I found it so much easier to drive on long journeys.. I'll look into the mpg again, as I agree it makes long journeys so much easier...

LED lights, I need to look at the H7s in the dark, this is the problem, I just don't know what they are like and if I'll kick myself if we don't get them now, they just seem so expensive, but thanks for the nudge. I think we need to view some (tricky with current light evenings!).

Thanks again and good luck with your order...

Hi there,

After years and years of wanting a van and not being able to afford one, we are finally about to take the plunge. We are able to get 20% off new through a work scheme. We think the best option is to go for a T6.1 kombi rather than panel having read some of the threads on here (we get 20% off the accessories so I think it's better value to get that discount now) - but interested if anyone thinks any differently. This van will be for life, we won't be in a position to be upgrading or trading in, we intend to keep it for the long haul!

The van will be used for family (two kids age 10 and 16), long trips to Europe, short camping trips in the UK and every day driving etc. We have always camped, with our estate car, roof box and trailer looking like National Lampoons on vacation ;) - I'm hoping with a van we can ditch the trailer for good, we want the cargo area to be able to take loads of gear. I would like to put a bed in, one that perhaps forms a luggage shelf to make the most of the cargo area at the back, or at least leaves room for luggage - was looking at something like the amdro one, or there are systems like the ovano xl....If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Our spec for a new T6.1 is:
- T30, SWB, 2.0 TDI, 150 Highline
- Manual (would love an automatic but concerned about reduced mpg and extra costs)
- Power latching for side passenger door
- Swivel seats x 2 in the front
- 2 + 1 seats in the back
- Tailgate with tinted window
- Front/Rear parking sensors & park assist
- Rear view camera
- Power latching tailgate
- Roof rails
- Bike rack - VW one or do we pay for the towbar prep (£225) but we'd still need to pay for the actual tow bar and a bike rack on top. For short journeys we could bung bikes in the back presumably but for longer camping trips we'd need to use a rack.

Do we need:
- Leisure battery?
- Anything else, obvious that I haven't listed? We would love LED lights but I think they're too expensive, this model comes with H7s.
- A small fridge to just go in the back without a huge conversion?
- Anything else that you think is really important we get now with 20 % off? There seem to be so many things you can add, it can all get a bit overwhelming!

Any advice or suggestions would be brilliant.. Still having cold sweats about finally committing to this, but I hope it will give us loads of brilliant adventures as a family. Looking forward to finally being able to wave :)

Thank you :)
Im my opinion get the DSG, I dont believe fuel wise it make much difference,
Forget the power latching tailgate, more trouble than its worth.
If you think you might use a tow bar, get he prep, I regret not ticking that now.

Leisure battery, I think aftermarket is better.

I agree above, swap LED for parking assist.

The biggest single decision, and one that’s truly impossible to retrofit in any way, is SWB vs LWB.

Take a look in the back of each with an honest appraisal of how much kit you’re ever likely to have. Any kind of bed or camper pod type system will generally heavily cut into kit space too.

Assuming the 'park assist' is where it takes over the steering to park itself? If so, I wouldn't pay extra for it. Having had it on two cars now, it got used once to play with it when we first got it, then never touched again. Whilst it's very clever, it's too much of a faff to get it to find a space in the first place. Plus, the view out from a higher driving position and good mirrors means it's really easy to know where all four corners are.

LEDs are a must in my opinion, especially if it's a keeper. It's a lighting war out there, and no ones want's to get left behind.

Also, if you want DSG, have it. In fact spec all the things that can't easily be retro fitted. Some things you could manage without for now, but fit in a few years time, but get the factory only options right from the start.

Assuming the 'park assist' is where it takes over the steering to park itself? If so, I wouldn't pay extra for it. Having had it on two cars now, it got used once to play with it when we first got it, then never touched again. Whilst it's very clever, it's too much of a faff to get it to find a space in the first place. Plus, the view out from a higher driving position and good mirrors means it's really easy to know where all four corners are.

LEDs are a must in my opinion, especially if it's a keeper. It's a lighting war out there, and no ones want's to get left behind.

Also, if you want DSG, have it. In fact spec all the things that can't easily be retro fitted. Some things you could manage without for now, but fit in a few years time, but get the factory only options right from the start.
This is really good advice. Retrofitting DSG is impossible. Retrofitting LED lights is possible but significantly more expensive. Removable tow hitch is likely to cost more as a retrofit too, but that one could wait, if you’re undecided.

Different prospective…Size is important and the xtra space a LWB gives is great..but with 2+2 you’ll have 4 bikes perhaps on the tailgate plus all the camping gear inside …camping gear over the years has grown bigger so the space gets eaten up quickly… we used to pack the van with every thing ( SWB) and the load became dangerous…we started paddle boarding so the xtra load was too much and we brought a nice trailer to mount the bikes/awning/ solar panels…Firstly think ahead…DSG on long runs takes a lot of hassle out of driving …LED lights you can’t live without…but short term the kids might not always want to go camping so be flexible keep the trailer when you all go …and when the kids don’t go ..Plan B

Ps ..Enjoy family camping it’s priceless :)

That’s been my guiding principle - what is realistic/practical to retrofit vs. not. For me a LWB is just too long to manage as an everyday vehicle so SWB was always the choice. But you’re right camping gear does grow, our 6-berth air-tent fills the boot of most family cars on it's own!

@Skyliner33 So tailgate power latching not worth it - but sliding doors are? Also, re Leisure Battery - I'd assumed factory would be easier/cheaper than a retro - is this not the case?

Decisions, decisions...

That’s been my guiding principle - what is realistic/practical to retrofit vs. not. For me a LWB is just too long to manage as an everyday vehicle so SWB was always the choice. But you’re right camping gear does grow, our 6-berth air-tent fills the boot of most family cars on it's own!

@Skyliner33 So tailgate power latching not worth it - but sliding doors are? Also, re Leisure Battery - I'd assumed factory would be easier/cheaper than a retro - is this not the case?

Decisions, decisions...

Yes, power latching is definitely worthwhile on side doors, general consensus is that it’s not on tailgate.

You can do better than the factory leisure battery option for the money if you’re willing to fit it yourself.

LED lights an absolute must IMO! Look great and much better illumination.
Don’t bother with park assist. You shouldn’t have a driving license if you can’t park! Get the camera though.
I have an electric tailgate. Much easier to use and saves damaging the paintwork when you have to push it shut.
DSG is great but if you have a budget, then go for LEDs instead.

As a lot of others have said LEDs are amazing and I think dsg is well worth it. I don’t think there’s hardly any difference in fuel consumption services might be a little more but having now had dsg for a month I would never want to go back to a manual. Whilst you probably don’t have an unlimited budget do bear in mind if you intend to keep it long term it’s a long while to think about what you should have had!! Have seen park assist on a friends Golf and wouldn’t bother- he’s only used it once to try it and it’s too much faff!

LEDs, just get them, nobody has even regretted having better lighting.
Get the rear camera but I wouldn't bother with the self parking bobbins.
Manual vs auto, nothing against a manual but an auto make the most of the adaptive cruise you'll get with a highline.
Consider a LWB, 400mm makes so much difference on the inside and so little on the outside.
Most other things can be fitted afterwards for the same or less than from the factory.

Decisions, decisions...
Yes 100% on the sliders, but imho not the tailgate. If I was speccing again, no way would I order that.

LED's are excellent, but I don't think they count as essential if you're trying to get down to a price. The H4 headlights were so bad they were bordering on dangerous, but with the H7 versions the lighting is perfectly adequate, even if obviously nowhere near as good as LED. I've got a DSG box and no way I'd trade that for LED headlights.

LED's are excellent, but I don't think they count as essential if you're trying to get down to a price. The H4 headlights were so bad they were bordering on dangerous, but with the H7 versions the lighting is perfectly adequate, even if obviously nowhere near as good as LED. I've got a DSG box and no way I'd trade that for LED headlights.
Agree.

From what you describe and that you have 2 older kids and plan some Euro trips, I’d suggest consideration of LWB in your case

That extra 400mm could make a considerable difference for you, both in terms of storage space, as well as comfort.
On LED’s, it’s the one thing I regret not adding. That said, the H7’s aren’t horrendous, and you can easily upgrade bulbs to night breakers for an extra uplift in light if that’s a concern. £40 ish for a set of bulbs, vs £1000 (after deducting your 20%) - depends how constrained your budget is

I am so glad I posted, it is invaluable advice and I'm really grateful for every response. Thank you all!

We have taken on board the suggestions and after a chat and further reading, we've decided:

- Ditch the park assist (I'm a really good parker and so is my husband!). We asked them to quote for it but agree it's something we can easily live without and sounds a faff.
- Ditch the power latch tailgate
- Go for LEDs (we have managed to get the quote down by about £900 which almost pays for them). Take all your points about how good they are and better to get them factory fitted.
- I think you've talked us back into going for the DSG (I really wanted it anyway but we were just concerned about mpg). We know we love automatics from past cars.
- Should we ditch the swivel seats in the front to save money and add towards DSG? One thought we had was, if the kids are quite close in the 2 + 1 seats in the back, will it be odd turning around and then being that close?! Especially as we're not going for a camper conversion where the seats are much further away? Is it worth paying for swivel seats?
- Concerned LWB is too long for us for daily use but will take on board the suggestions and get down to a dealership to have a closer look at one. We do have a massive Outwell Airbeam tent which is huge (plus awning).
- Retrofit the leisure battery
- Will go for the factory fitted tow bar prep as I think it will suit us better to get a tow bar bike rack rather than the custom VW one.
- Still think we will stick with the colour we wanted (pearl black) unless anyone thinks that's a major error! Or just personal choice?

You are all such lovely people taking the time to answer these questions, what a brilliant forum, I'm really pleased I asked.

Thanks a million.

Last edited:
Back