We're newbies - please rate our spec :)

It wasn’t clear to me from your spec if you are looking at one or two sliding doors. When I was looking for my van I had in my mind that I only wanted one. I ended up with two just because I found a cracking deal on a van and wouldn’t be without two now. If you have no plans to do a full camper conversion, I’d recommend two sliding doors. It just makes the van so much more versatile. I can also recommend the Ovano system. As well as providing a bed, it makes the cargo space far more usable.
As others have said, better to retrofit a leisure battery, you will need one if you’re going to use a fridge in there. Top loading portable fridge is a great option (there’s a whole thread on these to keep you busy).
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/fridges-cold-beer-how-i-done-it.20628/

Rear camera is a must (I retrofitted one), don’t bother with the automatic parking.
If you can afford it, LED headlights.
I don’t know if this is included in the Highline on the 6.1 or not (I have a T6) but Apple CarPlay or the Android equivalent on the head unit. I use this so I can use google maps as my SatNav with everything displayed on the head unit. I wouldn’t be without it.
Carpet mats and seat covers are also useful. I got these thrown in for free by the dealer.
Thanks for the link to the fridge thread - I'll get the kettle on and start reading! We have gone for LED headlights after everyone's suggestions and recommendations. We took out quite a few things we didn't need in order to make up for adding them!

Thanks for the link to the fridge thread - I'll get the kettle on and start reading! We have gone for LED headlights after everyone's suggestions and recommendations. We took out quite a few things we didn't need in order to make up for adding them!
DSG and LEDs is a must for me! 100%

I wouldn’t worry about the future of diesels. They will be around for a long while yet!
id go LWB, DSG, LED lights. Colour?? Silver. It’s a lazy colour and never looks really dirty. When my T5 was 15 years old I gave it its 1st clay bar wash and the paintwork came out like new!
It also reflects the heat in the summer.
Now go buy one!
BJ

My ten pence worth:

DSG - you can't retrofit (at least not economically), and you get the benefit every time you drive it. I too have an auto Merc and would never go back to manual. They're just so good these days.

LWB - that 400mm doesn't sound so much, but boy (girl/them/they!o_O) does it make a difference - not only from the point of luggage/storage but also just these of using the vehicle.

LEDs - when I bought my Merc the Xenons were just the best thing on the road. They're still good, but the LEDs put them to shame. Driving at night with poor lighting is draining. And they look cool! (But no-one here is bothered about how their van looks , right?;)

Power closing on the slider - unless you like slamming doors multiple times!

Retrofit the leisure battery - offers lots of flexibility

Park assist? Pfffft! Gimmick! However, reversing cam is a must with LWB.

We used to look like National Lampoons when camping, using a trailer with a hard top on which we put roof bars and bike carriers. One of the many justifications for getting a van and converting it was so that we no longer had to haul all that stuff around with us, and spend the whole of Sunday morning packing it all up and cramming it into the car and trailer. And it works!

I accept that's probably a lot more than ten pence worth, but if you're planning on keeping the van for a long time, it's worth the investment now.

Good luck! You'll always get loads of friendly advice here.
IMG_8146.JPGFF9D33A1-A03B-4BDC-BDEB-5A35DEAE1854.jpeg

That’s been my guiding principle - what is realistic/practical to retrofit vs. not. For me a LWB is just too long to manage as an everyday vehicle so SWB was always the choice. But you’re right camping gear does grow, our 6-berth air-tent fills the boot of most family cars on it's own!

@Skyliner33 So tailgate power latching not worth it - but sliding doors are? Also, re Leisure Battery - I'd assumed factory would be easier/cheaper than a retro - is this not the case?

Decisions, decisions...
Have you driven a LWB?
I’ve never had a van before and got a LWB last July. It’s my daily driver and I use it in preference to my other vehicles as I love it. I go shopping all the time to different supermarkets and never have a problem parking (front and rear sensors and reverse camera help).
I don’t have a drive-I park it on the road and it’s easy to reverse park into a kerbside space.
Her indoors had to try 4 spaces in the work car park yesterday before a success was achieved, but she very rarely drives it so just needs a bit more confidence.
It’s only 40cms longer, it’s not an HGV, but the extra space inside is so worth it.

Have you driven a LWB?
I’ve never had a van before and got a LWB last July. It’s my daily driver and I use it in preference to my other vehicles as I love it. I go shopping all the time to different supermarkets and never have a problem parking (front and rear sensors and reverse camera help).
I don’t have a drive-I park it on the road and it’s easy to reverse park into a kerbside space.
Her indoors had to try 4 spaces in the work car park yesterday before a success was achieved, but she very rarely drives it so just needs a bit more confidence.
It’s only 40cms longer, it’s not an HGV, but the extra space inside is so worth it.
Agreed, I had a SWB before but went LWB. The difference is noticeable but never a problem or never really needs to be taken into consideration.

Back